Votes: 16 27.1%
  • Scuba diving is not a verb. Say "went scuba diving"

Votes: 12 20.3%
  • Who cares? Divers don't need grammar.

Votes: 15 25.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltyWhale

Contributor
Reaction score
This has been in my mind for sometime now...... and never did have a Dictionary around whenever this pops up.

What's the past tense for Dive..?

Dived or Dove...?

Correct answer is "Dove"

He dove off the cliff!

I dove the Andrea Doria.

You people need a dictionary to figure this out?

I belive to goes
will dive
Am diving
planing next dive

so apparently the is no past tense you just look forward to the next dive:D

From - The American Heritage® Book of English Usage.
A Practical and Authoritative Guide to Contemporary English. 1996.

Word Choice: New Uses, Common Confusion, and Constraints

104. dive

The kids opened the box and dove into the pizza. But should they have dived?

The verb dive has two past tenses, dived and dove, and both are acceptable. Dived is actually the earlier form, and dove may seem strange in light of the general tendencies of change in English verb forms. Old English had two classes of verbs, called strong and weak. Strong verbs formed their past tense by a change in their vowel. Thus drive (past tense drove) and fling (past tense flung) are descendants of Old English strong verbs. Weak verbs formed their past tense by adding a suffix related to -ed in Modern English. The verbs live (past tense lived) and move (past tense moved) come from Old English weak verbs. But not all of the descendants of Old English verbs have preserved this pattern. Many verbs have changed from the strong pattern to the weak one; for example, the past tense of help, formerly healp, became helped, and the past tense of step, formerly stop, became stepped. Over the years, in fact, the weak pattern has become so prevalent that we use the term regular to refer to verbs that form their past tense by the addition of -ed. However, there have occasionally been changes in the other direction. For example, the past tense of wear, now wore, was once werede; that of spit, now spat, was once spitede. The development of dove is an additional example of the small group of verbs that have swum against the historical tide.

Originally posted by martinjc
The kids opened the box and dove into the pizza. But should they have dived?

This is how I use it...works for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom