Can I really cut myself out?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Snowbear

NOK
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
With all the recent ScubaBoard hype about solo diving and solo divers, I've seen a few folks on here dismiss that entanglements are a hazard to solo divers. Stuff like "There's no fishing in the quarry, so there's no line or nets" or "The water's only 30' deep" or "I'll just get out of my gear and cut it if I can't reach it." Well, this thread's for you - from one solo diver to those tempted to solo dive - know the risks and be willing to accept the consequences of not being able to help yourself.

Had some interesting training a couple weeks ago. Part of this training involved actually practicing in the water what we were told about and shown on the surface.

One of the points made was that monofilament, nylon or kevlar fishing line (not to mention SS leaders!) are the primary entanglement hazards that kill divers and can be invisible (even in clear water). Huh?? Why didn't the divers just cut themselves out. Various reasons like can't reach the entanglement, knife won't cut it, panic, moving around making entanglement worse.... It was also pointed out that most dive knives are ineffective at cutting the stuff.

So - this specialty course involved blackwater (aka zero viz) search dives while on a tether. Part of the drills involve the primary backup divers' signalling a problem and asking for help. Backup diver then goes down the line. With touch signals, the B/U diver is told where the "entanglements" are and cuts them off and brings the "freed" diver to the surface. Well, I was a B/U diver for one of these. About 5 minutes into the dive, the diver signals "I'm OK, but alert B/U diver." OK - I'm a lert. A long couple minutes go by and he signals "I'm OK, but send B/U diver." The instructor asked - was that planned? Nope. Good - he says, that's the best kind.

So down I go, pulling out my shears as I descend (we use a contingency strap clipped to the line so it can be followed hands-free). Get to the diver and he signals entanglements on his fins (At this point, it's all touch signals since there is literally NO viz). I unclip me from his line and find BOTH of his fins snagged on a gill net. Snip snip snip and he's free. Up we go. Turns out he had tried and tried to cut himself out but just kept making it worse. He also said he had great difficulty even reaching the back of his fins to cut the net. This diver is a young, fit pararescueman with the Air National Guard. He has survived the Navy Seal dive training program, so you would think he was well-equipped to deal with a bit of fish net? Good wake-up call for all of us!

Oh - did I mention that this was a contaminated lake and folks don't fish there? So why was there a net? Who knows.... We found a bunch of monofilament as well. One of the guys also found a handgun while searching for the "missing" carabiner.

And to think that some people still wonder why I prefer tended diving. :eyebrow:

Nice thing about diving surface supplied with communications is that not only can you get help you have LOTS of time to sort out any problem.

I have done solo dives and might in the future but I am picky about when and where I will solo.

pipedope:
Nice thing about diving surface supplied with communications is that not only can you get help you have LOTS of time to sort out any problem.
I knew you'd find this thread :D You probably prefer zero viz diving as well :wink:
This was all on SCUBA and they didn't let us use the com units so we would be forced to use line pulls and touch communications. There's an "Oh crap!" line pull signal that will have the B/U diver bringing more air :D

I have no experience whatsoever with the situation you described Snowbear. How are these signals and messages passed from the diver below to the surface?

WJL:
I have no experience whatsoever with the situation you described Snowbear. How are these signals and messages passed from the diver below to the surface?
Series of short "tugs" on the tether line. Key point - the line needs to be kept taut at all times. The in-water communications between divers are done by grasping hands and making the motions.

I have some experience with entanglements both real and in training.

The best solution is almosty always to stop moving so as to not make things worse (and it can get way worse real fast), signal buddy and simply wait for them to give the all clear.

That said I have gotten myself out a few times but it's only my first choice with the simplest of snags..

On the other side of it, I have untangled divers from float lines, ice diving teathers, reel lines, search lines and fishing line. In each case the entanglement was out of site of the entangled diver and though they tried in some cases none were having an easy time of getting out.

pipedope:
And to think that some people still wonder why I prefer tended diving. :eyebrow:

I have done solo dives and might in the future but I am picky about when and where I will solo.

One thing about Surface supply, your safty depends on people who cannot see you, and who may be of varrying skills and competences...

I almost drowned in 8 feet of water on surface supply, part of it was my fault, borrowed another person's bailout, didn't check to see if I could reach the valve. But the rack operator forgot to open a valve, and was unused to paying attention to the radio.

I said, "Out of air, Out of air, going on bailout."
and what I got back, after finding out that I could not reach my bailout was, "What did you say? Is everything ok? Do you want us to send down the jet hose now?"

Poetic justice was served when he got a sinus squeze on his next dive. A bad one.

MikeFerrara:
The best solution is almosty always to stop moving so as to not make things worse (and it can get way worse real fast), signal buddy and simply wait for them to give the all clear...
This is true and actually makes one of my points for me :wink:

Was wondering if anyone has had to get out of a weight intergratered BCD to get out of a tangle,? If so was the tendency of the diver to float up above the BCD ? I was thinking this through and thought that once it was off your back it may be very difficult to maintain any controllable bouancy. Would love to hear the correct method of doing this if it needs to be done.

Thanks all.

Back
Top Bottom