Going thru Customs and getting batteries thru

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

montanagal

Registered
Reaction score
We are going to Roatan in October and I have read that Customs will take batteries away. How do you get them in? I would really like to get our rechargeables especially thru as well as our extra dive computer batteries.
Is there anything else that can be a possible problem getting thru, that as divers one would normally take, for example dive tool?

I bring sh---loads of batteries in and have never had trouble. I mean come on!! Dive computer batteries are small. Dive tool? No problem, I have brought a skillsaw and chainsaw on the plane, just not in carry on.
I have had trouble when I left. I brought a stock of 9v batteries for my smoke/fire detectors and the leftovers I was planning to take home. TSA at RTB said no 9v batteries. I said OK but they seemed offended when I took them back before getting on the plane, stepped on them and threw them out in the trash in the restroom.

No, what I think you read was that goofy thread that talked about Honduran TSA confiscating batteries.

The only time TSA looks at your stuff is when you are getting on a plane.

Customs looks at your bags when you are arriving. They might be interested in batteries if you are importing them in "commercial quantities". I would think that anything under 60 batteries no one would bother you.

Dive tools or knives may be some kind of special voodoo to an American, but in Honduras and on Roatan, a knife (or machette) is something that everyone has. A silly little pocket tool, or even a 5" folding knife in your checked bags... no one will bat an eye going through Customs.

Again- understand the differences between TSA and Customs, Checked bags versus Carry-on.

I had a bizarre experience in Cozumel 2 yrs ago when American Airlines personnel, not TSA folks, took my batteries away during a second carry-on bag check at the departure gate. The TSA agent in Houston who inspected our carry-ons for the second leg of our return trip was also a diver. He said the batteries should not have been confiscated by anybody. Didn't happen when departing Coz on a second trip last month, and has never happened elsewhere, including 2 recent trips to Roatan.

didn't have any problems with batteries in Roatan and we carry about 2 dozen rechargeables (for Ron's camera and 2 strobes) plus regular batteries for dive lights (both Cs and AAs). Plus my video rig has a couple of big batteries. Roatan TSA didn't even flinch.

But leaving Cozumel there is always an issue... one week they must be in carryon, the next week they must be in check bags. You never know what to do there!

Maybe it had to do with the Li-ion quantity rule the TSA started a little whiles back?

I did have problems with batteries one time with the puddle jumper flight from La Ceiba to Utila. And they were my rechargables AA's for my camera gear so I was pretty darned determined to take them. I had already heard that they like the batteries tied together so I always use a rubber band and make sure they can't touch end to end. Then they go in a plastic box (like a refrigerator box) that is just big enough to hold them. After some discussion, my batteries were given to the PILOT for him to hold for me from take-off to landing.

Don't ask me why...it makes no sense to me, but that's what happened. But only that once out of many flights. I always carry my batteries this way now and they are often looked at. I just say they are for my camera and always check them.

I have learned that putting as many of my batteries IN either my flash units or my recharge units where they go seems to minimize the wierd and questioning looks. There must be something about loose batteries. Just don't leave your batteries in your electric toothbrush...if it turns on while the the agent has her/his hands in your bag, they REALLY don't like it!! Hahaha!!! Yes, it's happened and they made me take them out. Whatever...

Leaving Roatan once, I had all my rechargeable AA's bundled up in a rubber band and the young ladies hand sorting scattered them all over my carry on luggage. Still finding batteries in miscellaneous pockets.

.... that they like the batteries tied together so I always use a rubber band and make sure they can't touch end to end.

Don't ask me why...it makes no sense to me, but that's what happened.

There must be something about loose batteries....

It might not make any sense, but you guessed "the why" exactly.

Leaving them in dive lights is a really horribly bad idea. This is part of what they are programmed to look for. Dive lights that get turned on have made their hot list (not to make a pun), so when the rules are given to the security folks, it gets put into the least common denominator: No batteries in flashlights.

Unfortunately, in the translation (from the original English version FAA/TSA advisory) this gets messed up and is sometimes interpreted to mean photo strobes.

You can easily incapacitate the device all loaded with batteries by covering the battery contacts with duct tape before sealing up the light, etc.

Another English language origination FAA/TSA advisory spawned from the commercial air transportation ban against bulk pack Lithium Cells. As these batteries have become more and more available in the sizes used by us common folk, TSA types have had to been re-educated as to allowable methods for Lithium batteries. Here, though, is a prime example of a flashlight you do not want to get turned on mid-flight. A consumer level available law enforcement flashlight such as a Surefire brand can easily ignite wood, plastic and surely clothing.

I have seen two occasions where dive bags were being handled and were emitting smoke. Both were after they had been picked up by the passenger and they were heading toward the dive-op.

The first major airline security confusion came from the ban on certain types of batteries that were commonly found in power-wheel chairs. This caused all sorts of nuttiness on the passenger interface level.

If you want a real headache, try to decode the requirement for transporting ammunition. After that, checking a gun through will seem easy.

I heard that electric toothbush story in regards to a slightly different type of personal device :wink:

Ahh, for the old days. When the FA's were called Stews, they wore hotpants, and you just handed your gun to the Captain as you boarded the plane.

we took lots of extra batteries for dive lights, cameras and headlamps and nobody said a word to us.
We left our batteries in whatever they were used in.. no problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom