Roatan Trip Report - Photos and Videos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rainer

Contributor
Reaction score
My sister, Christina, moved to the Honduran capital of Tegucigalpa eight months ago to work for a non-profit. We decided a visit was in order, so we quickly settled on the nearby island of Roatan as a meet up point. Jennifer (jenth), my mother, and I flew from LAX to San Salvador (overnight) and then took a puddle jumper over to the island in the morning. Christina had arrived the day before to pouring rains, but thankfully, our entire stay would be sunny and dry.

1.jpg

We stayed at Bananarama (Bananarama Dive Our Eco Friendly Dive Center and Beach Front Resorts :: West Bay Beach Hotels), which is on West Bay Beach, a short ten minute taxi ride (via boat or car) to the West End. The resort is pretty low key, but quite comfortable. The resort staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The beach here is quite nice. Mom spent most of her trip happily camped on a lounge chair here.

2.jpg

While mom relaxed, the rest of us dived. We did all our diving through Bananarama.

17.jpg

Christina spent her first three days getting OW certified, while Jen and I hoped on boats. The resort has three pangas (two covered), and they tended to run two boats in the morning (two cylinder charters) and one boat in the afternoon (one cylinder charter); the third uncovered boat only went out with students.

We were paired with another (very friendly) couple from Oregon, and would be diving with them and our dive master, Lu, for the next five days (occasionally, another couple would also be paired with us). Each morning, we'd grab an early breakfast (the kitchen would prioritize food for morning divers), put on our dry suits (yes, we dived dry), and loaded gear onto the boat. The boats are fast and the sites are relatively close. I don't remember a ride out longer than about twenty minutes. Dives were all DM led, and lasted about an hour (55-65 minutes). Most of the profiles were shallow, max 60', and all were multi-leveled; the top of the reef in most areas comes up to 15-25'. A couple of dives (including the El Aguila wreck) were down to 100' (the wreck is about 110' to the sand). After the first dive, we always came back to the resort for the surface interval (water and fruit were served in transit), before heading out for the second dive. We'd then come back for lunch (a few hours). The afternoon boat usually left around 2pm. Most divers seemed content with just doing two morning dives, and we were often just four (and once just two) on the afternoon charter. Private diving. :)

In all, we did 15 dives, at the following sites (only one repeat): Temptation Reef, Half Moon Bay Wall, West End Wall, El Aguila Wreck, Blue Channel, Sea Quest Shallow, Spooky Channel, Tabyana’s, Puncher’s Paradise, Pablo’s Place, Butcher’s Bank, Hole in the Wall (one of our favorite dives!), Mandy’s Eel Garden (night dive), and Fish Den.

Blackwood was super generous and lent us his Canon SD960 and housing. Jen and I both shot underwater stills (first time for either of us) and video on several of the dives.

Here's a short video highlighting some of what we saw (largish HD file; best to let it first load for a few minutes):

[vimeo]19818216[/vimeo]

I found the reefs to be quite healthy and spectacularly beautiful.

2.jpg

11.jpg

14.jpg

continued...

We saw turtles on most dives our first three days (but sadly none after that).

4.jpg

29.jpg

Other highlights included seeing large groupers, porcupine fish, various eels (large and small), large schools of blue chromis and blue tangs, and the large sea fans and sea sponges. I particularly enjoyed the enormous barrel sponges.

Also a lot of fun were the various swim-throughs on several of the dives. Some were quite tight, but never too long, and all quite shallow. Having finished her OW class, Christina joined us the last two dive days. Her first post-certification dive had her navigating some of these tight passages!

We also managed to get in one guided (shore) night dive (Christina's second post-cert dive!). This was a lot of fun, especially as the in-shore reef looks quite different at night (it's where we snorkeled during the day), as different critters come out once the sun goes down.

Many more underwater stills here: roatan underwater « these days

As mentioned earlier, Jen and I both dived dry. Thrilled with having done so. The water was 79F, but three dives a day, plus the boat rides, made being dry quite comfortable. We were never too warm, either topside or in the water. The Fusion (not my normal suit back here in CA) travels very well.

20.jpg

30.jpg

Overall, the diving was great, the dive staff fantastic, and we had a fabulous time in the water. We spent the rest of our time either in the water (swimming, snorkeling, kayaking), relaxing, reading, eating, or exploring the island (we rented a car for a day).

This was my first chance to play with the video on our new Nikon D7000, and I was pretty happy with the results. Video shot in 1080p, but downsampled to 720p for upload (large HD file; best to let it load first for several minutes):

[vimeo]19706695[/vimeo]

Focusing on learning the video features meant we didn't shoot many topside stills, but here are a few: roatan topside « these days

Need to also thank Nicole and Stephen for some last minute latex seal replacements and for lending us a smaller wing.

Lastly, thanks to our mom and sister for a wonderful vacation!

7.jpg

Sounds like a great trip!

I'm with you about diving dry in those temperatures. I did that with my Fusion in the Red Sea, and absolutely loved it.

Thanks for sharing! The pictures came out great and your video does a great job in capturing the holiday/vacation feel. Even made going to LAX exciting.

Nice pix!

Great write-up, Chris. I always enjoy your dive videos and pics.

Never thought to dive dry in tropical locations but with repetitive dives and boat rides it makes good sense.

Thanks for sharing.

Nice trip report and videos. Really enjoyed seeing Bananarama as we have considered adding them on for a week after a week at CCV. We also have a couple of friends who are not divers so it looks like a good place to recommend for them.

robin:D

Sounds like a great trip!

I'm with you about diving dry in those temperatures. I did that with my Fusion in the Red Sea, and absolutely loved it.

Trip was wonderful. Was only my second warm water trip, and Jen's first. It was everything we'd hoped it would be.

Thanks for sharing! The pictures came out great and your video does a great job in capturing the holiday/vacation feel. Even made going to LAX exciting.

Thanks! Was fun doing some topside video.

Nice pix!

Really appreciate it! Thank *you* for all your suggestions pre-trip.

Great write-up, Chris. I always enjoy your dive videos and pics.

Never thought to dive dry in tropical locations but with repetitive dives and boat rides it makes good sense.

Thanks for sharing.

You're too nice, Sam! :)

Diving dry was great. Never cold (nor too warm). Really, really, comfortable. We just had to pick up some lighter undergarments (some light fleece). Jen gets really cold, really easily, so this was a no-brainer for her. I was willing to give it a shot, and am glad I did. As you note, it's really all about the repetitive dives and boat rides.

Nice trip report and videos. Really enjoyed seeing Bananarama as we have considered adding them on for a week after a week at CCV. We also have a couple of friends who are not divers so it looks like a good place to recommend for them.

robin:D

Thanks, Robin! Bananarama was wonderful (both as a resort and a dive center). Was perfect since my sister was getting certified and my mother just wanted to relax by the beach. Staff were extremely friendly, the beach there is large and inviting, plenty of food options, and it's a short taxi to the West End (which was fun for one night).

Great pics and videos, as always!

I'm so glad you guys enjoyed diving dry in warm water....and that both drysuits were dry :D

Chris,

Just heard from a dive buddy of mine who arrived in Roatan on Saturday and it's been raining non-stop since Sunday. He got in one dive on Saturday and two on Sunday. Yesterday and today's dives were canceled due to rain with many roads washed out last night.

It appears that you've taken the good weather back to CA with ya. :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom