Cruise ship dive trip 3rd week in roatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bulldoglover

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm heading to Roatan the 3rd week of October on the Norweigen ship Jewel. Looking for a dive operator that is near the cruise docking area. A dive operator that is recommended by this board. I am an experienced diver with over 200 dives (also with nitrox certification.) plan on taking some pictures and video. Thanks:cool2:

What diversteve said.

There's a huge amount of postifying on this subject (in this forum and also the Cruise forum). Not a whole lot of distinction in available dive ops- at least as far as to what you're going to see... ie: "the best dive sites". Cruise ship divers are treated the same (everywhere in the world). No matter what your printed credentials.

I will add one bit of locally relevant information... nitrox is not technically required due to the relatively shallow depths of the South side local dive ops, that- and the lack of repetitive dive profiles (even though the North side is deeper). If it makes you more able to stay awake for the 2 a.m. Ice Cream Buffet :wink: then by all means, pay for it and enjoy.

The shallow South side diving of Roatan is what makes the island absolutely unique among all other Caribbean destinations- it is macro heaven.

"Some pictures and video" ? I would get set-up for macro. If you are talking about two different cameras, go with the still box. Unless you go to the North side and know that you are going to one of the deep (110') wreck remnants. That would be a wide angle deal. South side wrecks are very shallow and intact (65'), but not on the standard charter list for Cruise Ship Divers.

Likely someone will offer you the South Side "Roatan Signature Dive" of "Mary's Place". I rank it slightly better than Belize's Blue Hole, which aint sayin' much. It's a dark deep crack in the reef. A very advanced naturalist guide (one on one) can show you some really cool stuff, but on a regular group dive- it's just a dark deep crack (did I say that before?). It is a distinct geographical shape, so a lot of divers enjoy it for that alone.

The local canned "Shark Dive" (also well discussed) is one of the better that I have seen in the Caribbean. I say this because of the mechanical infrastructure and dive brief provided by Waihuka Divers (the principal charter op, but there are others) as well as the u/w geography that shields divers from very localized current. This is also a South side dive, nearby to the port.

You would likely do better to plan this activity on the South side, your timing of late October gives a much higher probability of weather related dive-op closures for North/West shops. If it is really crappy weather, your best entertainment will be the Shark Dive. Them buggers simply don't care if it's raining. :shark:

Do you really only care about diving and don't want to see or do anything else on Roatan? If not, then the above suggestions are good ones. You could wait until you arrive to see what the weather is looking like. If the weather is nice you could head to West End and dive with the one of many dive shops there. During surface intervals you could walk around West End, eat a cheap baleada and stop by the Marine Park Office and buy swag. If you still have time to spare, you could take a $3 water taxi down to West Bay from West End and visit one of the nicest beaches on the island, eat lunch or snorkel on the reef right off of the beach. West End is something like a 20 minute taxi ride from either of the cruise ship ports.

If you get down to West Bay, stop by West Bay Divers and say hello! I'll be doing a DM Internship there during that time..

I'm heading to Roatan the 3rd week of October on the Norweigen ship Jewel. Looking for a dive operator that is near the cruise docking area. A dive operator that is recommended by this board. I am an experienced diver with over 200 dives (also with nitrox certification.) plan on taking some pictures and video. Thanks:cool2:

Not sure if it's still running, but the shark dive was a lot of fun (assuming you like watching a dozen or more sharks go after the contents of a 5 gallon bucket).

flots.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Off topic and mean-spirited posts have been removed. Play nice or go stand in the corner--your choice.

Not sure if it's still running, but the shark dive was a lot of fun (assuming you like watching a dozen or more sharks go after the contents of a 5 gallon bucket).

Does anybody know if the shark dive is still running. I believe the operator's name was Maurillio or something similar.

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom