CocoView, the shore dive, the drop off- same dive over and over

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
From another thread, an oft repeated mis-conception that the "drop-off" dives at CCV are the same dive, over and over and over....

While it's true that I haven't (dove at CCV), maybe enlighten us as to where they do drop off - Since: Roatan Dive Resort Boats | CoCo View Resort

Or do they drop you off somewhere away from CCV's "front yard"? I'd be interested in your marking up a map/google map image showing where they drop if you would be willing to do it for future reference.

First, a little nomenclature, it isn't "all" the Front Yard:

(Some may take issue with bits of the above, but after 35+ trips there since 1985, and at my age, I could care less :wink:)

To frame the question: CCV does 4 boat dives doing two departures (0830 and 1400) daily. The first dive of each is at a moored site, the second dive, you select a drop off point at either wall (your choice) or just to be plopped on top of the Wreck of the Prince Albert (my favorite choice)

Here is a graphic representation of those choices for Dives #2 and #4 of a CCV Day:

A key part of the explanation as to why "each dive is different" lies in understanding the geography and how the Sun tracks:

Like I said, I prefer to be dropped right kerplop on top of the wreck, a very shallow (1.5hr BT) exploration and familiarization of where you will be most comfortable NIGHT DIVING. She sits nosed into 35fsw and rudder at 65fsw. She is intact, upright and tops out in 22fsw. Pix? see Prince Albert Wreck Of Roatan Photos by Doc_Adelman | Photobucket

Oh gosh, look- a wreck- good thing we found it! We can follow it's anchor chain back to our room.

It's just to the right of the blue boat. :wink:

Most people select one of the two walls, and then, when they see the Prince Albert Wreck, the turn dead North, follow the ship's anchor chain (the BLUE • shown below) back into CCV's Front Yard and to their rooms.

There are some alternative re-entries.

(that "Side Door" in purple? It's shallow, sharp coral, all that stuff. Perfect buoyancy required at high tide, no wave action... don't just go charging in. The large sandy chute that precedes it to the South is always quite a good place to have a look-see, esp at night in 10fsw)

In that I see CCV as having the pre-eminent shore dive on Roatan (out of the very few that exist and are accessible), here are some interesting places that most divers never really get to gawk at:

Now, here's the hard part...

Coco View is for advanced divers!
What does that mean?

"Advanced Diving" has no one definition other than: "Different stuff than I am used to".

Sure, countless divers have gotten their first C-Card there, so you know there's no currents and there are nice shallow sandy bottoms in the "Front Yard's Pool" that is used for the confined water portion. What makes it advanced?

The beginner divers have a blast at CCV. Experienced divers with a lot of logged dive call the place "home". The dichotomy occurs for the intermediate diver, those with possibly 30 to 75 dives (altho numbers of logged dives really is not a sure indicator).

As we get past the stage of "whoo-hoo, I'm divin'!", we start to see common bigger critters like Lobsters and Parrot Fish (as long as they are in the realm of a breadbox size, kind of an archaic reference there)

As evidence: Seems that everyone has a digital camera these days. Look at the first 370 pics that most everybody shoots underwater: Squirrel fish (112 images), Orange tube sponges (37 images), Coral (14 images) and your dive buddy (the rest of the 2 meg memory card are too blurry to tell or are "accidental" pictures of somebody's "niece":gorgeous:in that bikini-shaped postage stamp thing)

Many divers who are in this category (and understand that vast majority of divers are in that category) really enjoy seeing things... and they can only really see so much at this stage. Wrecks are super cool, reef and wall shapes are always memorable. This category is not so taken by all the critters that a wreck might attract (fish love structure) or understand that varying depths along a wall provide widely varied types of corals and niche environments for the stuff beyond Squirrel Fish.

This area is a very small localized band of a reef structure that is absolutely unique in the Caribbean. Nowhere else can you find a Southern exposure wall structure that is so shallow. The tops are in 3 to 30fsw, the drop straight down to sand at 100'. Because the South side is on the "storm lee", sheltered from the battering- the reef shape is otherwise unremarkable- straight up and down, few fissures, cracks or easy to see and impressive shapes.

At this medium stage in dive experience, most folks are still very enthralled with shapes, the critters hidden there in plain sight are largely un-seen. We are so busy diving, we can not see. This is the single best explanation for infatuation with any wreck (tattered into shreds or not) and less than world class dive sites (yet fan favorites on Roatan) like Mary's Place and The Odyssey wreck.

How I "fix this" with people on my dive trips?

I slow them down. No, slower than that. The greatest problem in the "drop off" dives is that divers see one major goal: get back to CocoView with air in their tank. Not a bad plan, but most of them stand up and walk-out with 1500psi or more in their tank. What's with that?

It's called basic survival drive overpowering common sense (and math). Many drop off divers behave as if it were a race. I stay very shallow (because I am old, and because that's where the cool stuff is) and stretch these drop off dives into 1.5 hr affairs. I get into "stand-up shallow" water at 900psi and then I spend another 1/2 hr sucking it down to nothing. I never stand up on the CCV Shore Exit, not at that wooden platform table in 5' of water some 150' off the beach. I SCUBA all the way in until I run out of water.

These drop-off dives can be done at varying depths. The aspect from 60fsw is entirely different than that of 40fsw.

Und zo...
This "same old" drop off dive is presented to you 10 times during any given week. The dive staff will drop you anywhere, but the default is Newmans in the AM and CoCoView Wall in the PM due to Sunlight. That would mean that you would get the same old repetitive dive 5x in a week. Like I said, I prefer taking new visitors right to the wreck, getting them super-familiar with it so that night diving (each and every night) becomes less of a scary (what if I get lost?) proposition.

Otherwise, the people who have never been to CCV continue to repeat the odd line, "the same old repetitive dive".

This can not, however, explain why the photographers (everyone from DeLoach/Humann to Frink) love the CCV Drop Off Dives.

Likely, they're just stuck in a rut.

And, oh by the way...

In within the realm of a CCV Shore Dive environs, I have seen Batfish, Frogfish, Garden Eels (right there but most don't notice), a 10' Atlantic Manta (right over the PA Wreck), Hammerheads (along CCV wall), Porpise (along Newmans) and a bunch of other stuff including one of them Whale Shark things.

But, then again, a whole lot of people complain about the lack of fish life. :shakehead:

Same old stuff.

Last edited:
Thanks Doc. I'm finally going next Feb 20th to March 6th. They are booked that fdar in advance. Two glorious weeks. I just hope I can find decent flights. Most from where I'm at require more than a day. Not to steal the thread, but any tips on good cities to connect through or airlines to use would be appreciated. I'm in Albany NY so flights with decent connections are a witch to find.

Kharon -

Flight wise I only know of 3 options direct to RTB. Delta through Atlanta; American though Miami; United through Houston. So you will need to fly to one of these airports first.

We have used Delta and have been pleased with the results. Going there I do stay overnight at the airport to avoid a blown connection. I hate 3 hour or less connections since it takes so little to make a plane late these days.

Thanks Doc, it's all clear now. Good reference to point people at in the future.

Thanks Doc. I'm finally going next Feb 20th to March 6th. They are booked that fdar in advance. Two glorious weeks. I just hope I can find decent flights. Most from where I'm at require more than a day. Not to steal the thread, but any tips on good cities to connect through or airlines to use would be appreciated. I'm in Albany NY so flights with decent connections are a witch to find.
Sunwing out of Toronto offers direct flights in winter months Toronto to Roatan. Check and see if they do same out of Montreal. Driving distance from upstate NY not bad for benefit of a direct flight.
Plus you could have some poutine [emoji106]

On a site note, what is with price of flights out of south US to RTB? I can book flights out of MSP or North Dakota for $800 and change return to RTB. However, if I use airmiles to get down to Houston, Atlanta or Miami the carriers want $750 return for the leg to RTB!!!
$50 bucks to go halfway across the continent return?!?! Something stinks

I have had them drop me off at missing link and kicked in from there...about a 45 min kick in at 40' so the drop off doesn't have to be the same...they can drop you off where ever and you adjust your depth so you don't run out of air..I prefer to kick around the ship and the front yard you can see a lot of stuff poking around there...

Have done that as a nite dive 6 times from Fantasy(1 week stay the summer before we bought on Roatan in '94)...never have stayed @ CCV, is it any different of a dive from FIs side vs CCVs??....

There are two major differences between the CCV approach versus the FIBR shore entry. I have done both.

The instant you put your face underwater at CCV, even in 3', there's a lot to see. From the Prince Albert, to and from, the anchor chain path is more there to keep you on track lest you be distracted by critters, it's often like swimming in a shallow aquarium. The traverse from FIBR, the shore dive gazebo, is just a few feet longer, but due to runoff from their artificial beach, it's a muck-dive from the Gazebo out to the Wreck. Follow the aircraft cable or you might go astray. From FI, hear that high speed boat traffic overhead? That's FI dive boats, employees, and yachties guests blowing past their "go slow" signs at full speed, right over a dive site.

The second difference lies in the expanse of earth between each resort's dive op (lockers) and the shore entry point. Look at the image posted above for that view from satellite. It us for this reason, most of the very few evening dives done by FIBR on the wreck- they are often done by boat...when sufficient demand arises- either a moored dive boat or a back roll off a pram at pre-sunset dusk. I counted my steps from CCV dive deck to the shore dive entry- 65 paces on hard pack sand, FIBR is more like a hump of 1200 feet. FIBR offers a once-a-night evening shore dive, they will usually run your gear over to the gazebo. At CCV divers begin throughout the evening, whenever they want, all night long, we go twice- at 8 and 10pm.

FIBR was a viable option in the past for cost conscious divers who were willing to settle for a measurably lesser product than CCV. Divers willing to make the effort could get a darned close, similar quantity of diving, all but just short of the same quality. The resort itself? A different matter, entirely. It has recently deteriorated to such an extent that they are self-posting ridiculously transparent 5* reviews on TwitAdvisor. Their once excellent dive staff has abandoned ship.

I have no interest in the success of CCV, besides- they're booked solid, they don't need my posts. I have nothing against FIBR, I like it when there are options and locals are employed, but FI has now made any positive acclamation from me an impossibility. I hope it revives, but we have all hoped in vain for several resurrection attempts over the past 15 years.

CCV is likely the most expensive route, unless you factor in the 27+ dives per week. Again, the insurmountable contradiction: No matter the cost, it's usually booked-up well in advance.

Even after AKR, a good place, announced its twofer sale, I still booked us at CCV for full price. Our vacay time is worth the expense.

---------- Post added March 24th, 2015 at 03:50 PM ----------

I have had them drop me off at missing link and kicked in from there.....they can drop you off where ever and you adjust your depth so you don't run out of air..I prefer to kick around the ship and the front yard you can see a lot of stuff poking around there...

And I believe it was you that "saved my life".

I dive CCV on air. The one and only time that I ever went into DECO there, I was doing my time, sitting at 15fsw on the shore return. I was at about 100psi and had another 2 minutes then a 200' flipper back through the shallows. I suppose I could have easily made that 2 minutes at 15', but nothing worse than running dry and doing a surface swim in full gear.

Thanks for sharing air!

We are booked for May 9 through May 16 our first time to CCV, and really looking forward to the trip. Your write-ups had a big part in our selection. Thanks for all the tips Doc. Maybe we will pass each other at the airport, and we will have those shallow dives warmed up.

Last edited:
Thanks Doc...very useful report. :cool3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom