Greetings and Introduction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pelagos

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I am new to the area and seeking info, advice, dive buddies, etc...

I have been diving almost 8 years and have just over 400 dives logged - all in Hawai'i (6 years) and Florida (2 years), where I lived before moving to Ventura county this February.

I am interested in underwater photography, and though my camera is currently in need of repair, some shots can be found here:

Collection: Underwater

I'm a "take only pictures, leave only bubbles" diver. I don't hunt, collect, or spearfish, but have no objection to those who do so respectfully and responsibly.

Looking forward to feedback, and meeting some area divers,
Tim

Welcome, Tim! There are lots of local divers in this area....from Laguna up to Santa Barbara, the Beach Crabs usually schedules a dive each weekend. Many of us prescribe to your type of diving (take only pictures, leave only bubbles), while others hunt (most of the beach crabs group hunt just occasionally, if at all).

Are you prepared for socal diving? Do you have proper exposure protection? We get temperatures as low as high 40's and as high as low 60's (maybe high 50's....not really sure). There are lots of great dive boats, as well as tons of great shore diving....something to meet whatever it is that you want to do.

Hopefully you'll join us on a beach crabs event in the near future. Always enjoy meeting and diving with other divers! :D

Thanks for the welcome! Not really prepared yet - I have only warm-water wetsuits, which brings up a great question: Do I really need a drysuit? Seems like a lot of local divers use a 7mm wetsuit, which is a helluvalot less expensive... input greatly appreciated!

...and yes, would love to meet up for a dive soon!

Thanks for the welcome! Not really prepared yet - I have only warm-water wetsuits, which brings up a great question: Do I really need a drysuit? Seems like a lot of local divers use a 7mm wetsuit, which is a helluvalot less expensive... input greatly appreciated!

...and yes, would love to meet up for a dive soon!

Welcome to SoCal!

If you aren't too sensitive to the cold (and/or have a little extra self-produced insulation like me), you can definitely get by with a 7mm (with a good hood and gloves). Your bank account will thank you for it.

Owen

A 7mm wetsuit will be fine provided a couple things: you aren't someone who gets cold super easily (I wear a sweatshirt and jeans when others wear shorts and a t-shirt!), you don't want to do multiple dives in a day in the middle of winter, and you don't want to go deep and stay there for a long time.

I used to dive wet and held out as long as I could before buying a drysuit, but I got to the point where I'd come out freezing (zero finger, zero toe count), would limit myself to one dive a day, and would limit my max depth to less than 60 feet. I didn't want to be forced to dive like that....though I do often still....so I bit the bullet and bought a drysuit. Honestly, I couldn't be happier with my decision.

While a lot of divers do dive in a 7mm wetsuit, it's certainly not the most comfortable thing....but if you can't justify the drysuit purchase, it definitely works. And as Owen mentioned, a hood (or hooded vest) and gloves are definitely a requirement!

Welcome Tim! Which island did you come from? As far as Temps out here sometimes during the summer it climbs up to a blistering 72 degrees! That's when it's time to break out the 3mm!

There are lots of wetsuits to choose from that will provide adequate warmth provided you're not a sissy like ligersandtions :D personally I'm a a big fan of Xcel suits which I think are made on Oahu. Their suits have integrated hoods and thicker material in the chest, back, and legs while it's thinner at the joints for better dexterity. I've got 200 dives on mine and it's still in pretty good shape, I'm also a drysuit diver.

What part of VC did you move to? I work in Camarillo and live in Thousand Oaks/Westlake Village area.

Billy

PS great pics bro! I really like the one of the heniochus(pennant butterfly)

Welcome, Tim. Hope to catch you in the water some day soon. Yes there is alot of us that dive
7mm year round... Feb. thru' May will be your coldest water so deep and multi dives per day can make me second guess and think of dry...but then I get over it. But then again I don't get as cold as others.
Check out this link for boat dives: California Dive Boats : The Official Page
Hope you can meet some more of us on the 28th:http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/be...-28-dive-scubaboard-members-great-escape.html
Enjoy your new venture into the cool waters of So.Cal.

Welcome Tim! Which island did you come from? As far as Temps out here sometimes during the summer it climbs up to a blistering 72 degrees! That's when it's time to break out the 3mm!

There are lots of wetsuits to choose from that will provide adequate warmth provided you're not a sissy like ligersandtions :D personally I'm a a big fan of Xcel suits which I think are made on Oahu. Their suits have integrated hoods and thicker material in the chest, back, and legs while it's thinner at the joints for better dexterity. I've got 200 dives on mine and it's still in pretty good shape, I'm also a drysuit diver.

What part of VC did you move to? I work in Camarillo and live in Thousand Oaks/Westlake Village area.

Billy

PS great pics bro! I really like the one of the heniochus(pennant butterfly)

Hey now, you dive dry too, Billy! :lotsalove:

Hi all,

I am new to the area and seeking info, advice, dive buddies, etc...

I have been diving almost 8 years and have just over 400 dives logged - all in Hawai'i (6 years) and Florida (2 years), where I lived before moving to Ventura county this February.

I am interested in underwater photography, and though my camera is currently in need of repair, some shots can be found here:

Collection: Underwater

I'm a "take only pictures, leave only bubbles" diver. I don't hunt, collect, or spearfish, but have no objection to those who do so respectfully and responsibly.

Looking forward to feedback, and meeting some area divers,
Tim

Welcome Tim,
There are a few of us that dive up in the Ventura, Santa Barbara area. I try and dive ever chance i get but it is kinda hard to find buddy's that can go out during the week. I usualy dive the Santa Barbara / Ventura area unless it is a weekend then i will sometimes stray down south to PV or Laguna and dont hunt just take photos. Hope to see you in the water some time soon.

Well it looks like you got a good Beach Crabs welcome, as you can see we are pretty friendly & love to dive. Keep a look out in this area cause we are always posting dives. There are a lot of good dive boats the So Cal area but I'm partial to the Spectre because I DM it sometimes. Oh BTW welcome to So Cal & hope to see you in water soon. You can always rent a wetsuit for now to get in the water.

John

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom