Good Eats on AC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JimJam2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm staying 8 nights on Ambergris Caye during Easter Week in the northern part of town but way below the cut. Any suggestions as to where a single guy could get a good meal and a cold Belikin with lunch or a rum drink and dinner? I am so looking forward to the diving and the all-day Blue Hole trip.

I'm staying 8 nights on Ambergris Caye during Easter Week in the northern part of town but way below the cut. Any suggestions as to where a single guy could get a good meal and a cold Belikin with lunch or a rum drink and dinner? I am so looking forward to the diving and the all-day Blue Hole trip.

JimJam-
My wife, daughter and I returned from Ambergris this A.M.. What a relaxing week. There are many choices for food, from the expensive to the cheap. Our best meal this last week was at Wild Mango's, on the beach, about a hundred yards North of the Sunbreeze hotel. Very good food at a moderately expensive price. I sampled 3 meals other than my own and they were all great. Carne' Asada, Shrimp, and Shrimp Pasta dishes all delicous.

Our second best meal, and aways a favorite, was Waraguma's. They are now on the middle street, within the downtown area, on the East side of the street (They moved across the street from their previous location). Very easy to find. They have a fantastic shrimp burrito. Right outside they also have a woman on the grill making Pupusa's with chicken, cheeze, spinach, beans, etc and all the above in compination. Very inexpensive. She only cooks them at night. Either a great snack or nice to take some home for reheating during lunch.

Upon the advice of a long time resident and friend in SanPedro, we visited Lola's Pub. Its located on the Northern end of Great Barrier Reef Drive (Front Street) in the "Dead End" Cul de Sac. On the East side of the street. Its Very small, looks like the local pup that it is. The Thai Chicken Curry was wonderful and the Belikin Beer was cold.

Every morning we had breakfast, prior to diving , at our Favorite: Estelle's, on the beach. Have both excellent breakfasts and lunches that fit within the budget. They are on the beach just North of the Spindrift Hotel in the down town area. They're closed Tuesdays but make this your prediving stop as often as you can.

Our last day we also had a good breakfast at Cuban Coffee. They are just opposite of the little sandy park area in the center of town. Good coffee and an Omelette!

Other decent places to eat, but a little more expensive, Elvies' Kitchen, The Hidden Treasure, Fido's, and the Blue Water Grill.

I don't know if your've already booked your diving, if not I'd highly suggest checking in with Rudy Duran of Island Divers. Welcome to Island Divers Belize This was our third year diving with him, small groups, good divemasters, and very accomodating. Certainly not the "Cattle Boat" dive operation. His place is located on the Spindrift Hotel Dock, Downtown, next to the place that rents jet skis. If you talk to Rudy or his staff, tell them "Mister Ken" sent you. Nef is his Instructor/DM and Lloidee in another DM. Hope this helps, feel free to PM if you want any specifics. Dr. Ken :42:

We were at the far end of the island so we didn't make it to town very often. When we did, we had dinner at Sunset Grill which was very tasty.

Thanks for the ideas. We will be there in a few weeks and will try your suggestions.

Judi

A BIG second on Waraguma and especially Rudy Duran's shop. At Waraguma, Becky and me had the big seafood platter, more than enough for two people and around $25US. It was the first time we had Papusa's and they are great "pocket food".

I think we had breakfast one morning at Estelle's. Good and fairly priced, too bad they were closed the rest of our stay.

Waraguma sadly have jumped on the bandwagon of increasing their prices by adding on sales tax at checkout. In Belize (as in Europe) this is illegal - all prices must be quoted inclusive of tax.

I did not like Waraguma had no prices, and felt like they did not like me asking the cost. Pupusas across the street from Waraguma were much better, and less expensive. I thought the seafood burrito at Waraguma was just a burrito, not great, but not bad, just average. But thats just my opinion.

Elvi's Kitchen was great for dinner, Estelles for breakfast. Ruby's had a great breakfast burrito and banana bread.

Wow - I am SO relieved to see these posts. My wife and I also felt like we were worked over at Waraguma as well. Quoted an initial price, bill came with a higher one AND they added tax to that -- after I gave the server my cash! It's too bad because the food was good and abundant. Sad for them to behave that way because no matter how good they are, we just won't patronize them anymore.

And don't take me to task for not "speaking with the owner/manager", etc. I'm there as a customer. I didn't go on vacation to manage the place for them.

"Island Secret" is one of my favorites for dinner. The owner, William, is an outstanding chef from Lebanon and a great person to talk to. Reasonable prices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom