Abundant gratitude

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shekes

Contributor
Reaction score
Last night I finally ordered a bunch of gear from scubatoys. For a newbie like me selecting this gear was a serious challenge and a long laborious process that consumed three weeks of my life and, to my surprise, required more research, solicitation of advice and debate than choosing a house, a car or even a toothbrush or a tie.

It’s over now and this thread is meant to share my experiences and thank a few SB members for their help. (I started the thread on this sub-forum because most of my research was related to BCD. If it is moved I'd appreciate a PM.)

My only way of doing research is the Internet and here are my most important observations:

I. Most useful research tool is Google. It is a lot more powerful than any other engine I tried and for the most part it finds info on websites that the website-own search tools cannot find.

II. By far the largest data base on diving is Scubaboard.com. It outweighs all the other info available online added up. However, this information is poorly organized to say the least and scubaboard’s own search tools are all but useless. I had to read through thousands of useless to me posts and to use google to find info on this board.

III. Other forums contained some useful information but in general were less informative and often contained the same posts by the same people as here.

IV. Online magazines provided some useful info and have the advantage that this info is better presented and organized. Several posts on SB were critical of the articles and tests in magazines and, as far as I can judge this criticism was justified.

V. Online retailing is huge, the choice tremendous and prices comparatively low.

VI. Scubaboard community disposes over colossal amount of knowledge and members readily share this knowledge with just about anyone. Anyobody who is willing and capable of reading through all the accumulated threads on SB will learn a great deal about diving and gear. As far as the manners and ethics of the community: in general Scuababoard is above average but a lot of nasty stuff is happening here as well and particularly disturbing is the adherence to regulations of DIR, PADI etc against the better judgement of common sense.

VII.Equipment manufacturers are more useful and helpful in providing information on their and their competitor’s products than are retailers.

I would like to thank the following members for their help:

BikerManiac
bottomrunner
cool_hardware52
DA_Aquamaster
dcs917
DennisS
dkatchalov
dschulte
Ernesto
Empty V
Evil_xander
*Floater*
Henryville
JimLap
Jimmer
marksm
Narcosis_Anonymous
Nemrod
Patrick
Quero
Realdiver7
RJP
robint
paulwlee
Scubastud16
sjspeck
thien
Tiefseetaucher
timle
TN Traveler
TSandM
vladimir
WallDiver77
Waylander48
xiSkiGuy
ZzzKing

I tried to include everybody who’s contribution helped me even just a little bit. But I am human. Should anybody be displeased that a name is missing from this list, please inquire here or send me a pm and I will either explain my reasons or apologise and edit it!

My particular thanks go to:

- sjspeck and robint for their excellent advice on camcorder housing

- The omnipresent Nemrod, Patrick, *Floater*, Realdiver7 and many others whose names I cannot recall for posting loads of information on equipment

- xiSkiGuy, bottomrunner, Patrick, *Floater*, Ernesto, Quero, Realdiver7, WallDiver77, RJP, Tiefseetaucher and Joe from scubatoys for their direct recommendations

- and finally to my personal super hero dkatchalov :superman:, who endured dozens of my questions and never lost his patience

I will add more later because I have to go now.

Well, what did you finally decide on?

I ordered:

Signature Mach V 30lb
OMS Backplate
Dive Rite Deluxe Harness
two Stainless Steel Cam Latch Tank Straps
Dive Rite Crotch Strap W/Scooter Ring

I also got a regulator:

Sherwood Maximus
Sherwood Gemini inflator/octo
and a metric console

plus I got a Bare Mens Progressive Stretch Suit and a dozen accessory items

and for my buddy we ordered:

Mares MR 12 Abyss
Sherwood Gemini
a metric console and
Zeagle Scout BCD

First set of scuba toys for both of us. We can't wait!

BTW, here is my first set-up question.

I ordered:

Signature Mach V 30lb
OMS Backplate
Dive Rite Deluxe Harness
two Stainless Steel Cam Latch Tank Straps
Dive Rite Crotch Strap W/Scooter Ring

I also got a regulator:

Sherwood Maximus
Sherwood Gemini inflator/octo
and a metric console

Good choice of wing IMO. I'm curious why did you choose the deluxe harness instead of the basic (hog) harness? Also, no STA? The (new) Mach Vs don't need one as long as the slots on the wing and plate line up, but many of prefer to use one anyway.

As for the inflator octo, I recently installed one on my Mach V Razor, but changed the corrugated hose and inflation hose to 18" (with standard elbow) and 22" (+ 2" adapter), respectively. The default hoses on these things tend to be a little too long for my preference, but then again I use it one an octo necklace, which is a non-standard setup.

My superhero uses a deluxe harness which given the nature of a superhero and that of a deluxe seems only logical. Apparently superheros can do without an STA.

I just wanted to follow one concrete set-up someone experienced uses and likes. I wanted the Freedom Plate like strong-legged Nemrod but it isn't available so I went for dkatchalov's set-up.

As to the corrugated hose: I have no idea yet. I have to get the gear and have a look first. But here check this out please!

Why did you settle on the OMS plate? Just wondering what tipped the choice over the other plates

FWIW, I originally chose the DR deluxe harness over the hog for two reasons: pivot rings and chest strap. Now that I dive this harness, I took the chest strap off and find I don't need it. The pivot rings to help in ensuring a better fit IMHO though.

be prepared for a bit (more) "why did you pick this and why did you pick that and I would've pick this and that" shekes :)

Please post your progress, pictures, and any conclusions you come to from your choice.
Deciding on gear without having a chance to dive it is a major leap of faith.

I wish you and your buddy all the best with your new gear.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom