SPG hose routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shekes

Contributor
Reaction score
Trying to reduce drag and hoses I:

1. Got a regulator with an under the arm hose
2. Got an inflator/octo
3. Got a bp/w

Assuming that a "wireless" regulator won't be invented very soon, the only reducible hose is that of the SPG.
Wireless SPGs are still very early in the marketing cycle, flawed and expensive.

Here is the question:

How do I route the SPG hose so it is least disturbing and drag-inducing?

If you need more specific info, it would be for two set-ups:

I
Signature Mach V 30lb
OMS Backplate
Dive Rite Deluxe Harness
Sherwood Maximus regulator
Sherwood Gemini inflator/octo

II

Zeagle Scout BCD
Mares MR 12 Abyss regulator

Trying to reduce drag and hoses ... How do I route the SPG hose so it is least disturbing and drag-inducing?
Two thoughts. A number of folks with BP/W route a (very short) SPG hose down over the left shoulder and clip the SPG itself to an upper chest D-ring. (I don't, but it works and its low profile, low drag). This can work the same for a BC with chest D-rings. Others route a (longer) SPG hose down their left side, under the left arm and attach the SPG to the left waist strap D-ring. To read the pressure, they unclip the SPG, bring it up and read it, then re-clip it. Either way works well, and the drag of the hose is so trivial it isn't an issue.

Just an observation, but when you consider how incredibly un-hydrodynamic a human body is, and then compuond that with a tank and BC, how much difference in drag do you honestly think a 1/2 inch diameter hose can make?

Just an observation, but when you consider how incredibly un-hydrodynamic a human body is, and then compuond that with a tank and BC, how much difference in drag do you honestly think a 1/2 inch diameter hose can make?

ding ding...winner in aisle 3........plus,"Wireless SPGs are still very early in the marketing cycle, flawed and expensive."...wrong statement here ie they work(accurately & reliably) & expensive is a very relative term.....

btw, I bet my hoses have never cost me over 50# of air & 1 minute of time(total) in my history of diving.....

many divers using a SPG and BP/W route a short hose (22-24 inches) down their left side and it clips with a snap bolt on a D Ring on the left side of the waist strap. to read it, they unclip it then reclip it, the process is very easy once you practice it a few times.

Not the best pic, but you get the idea:

hoselengthsvspeoplelengths.jpg

I run it over the wing, under the left arm, clipped to the left hip d-ring. I use a 24" HP hose so there's no excess.

The pic is for doubles, but I route it the same way on singles. The idea is to have it accessible but out of the way since you don't really need to look at it that often once you gain some experience.

My tech instructor routed his with the LP inflation hose and zip tied it to his inflator (probably not a good solution with an octo-inflator). My cave instructor routed it under left arm and clipped to the left chest d-ring. That may be easier to see, but it's also more in the way.

Personally, I route it down under my shoulder, across my belly to a d-ring on the right side of my waist. To look at it, all I have to do is tilt it up and look down at it, no unclipping necessary. It stays out of the way pretty good too.

Of course, if I ever do any wreck or cave training, I'll have to figure out a different way to route it.

Trying to reduce drag and hoses I:

1. Got a regulator with an under the arm hose
2. Got an inflator/octo
3. Got a bp/w

Assuming that a "wireless" regulator won't be invented very soon, the only reducible hose is that of the SPG.
Wireless SPGs are still very early in the marketing cycle, flawed and expensive.

Here is the question:

How do I route the SPG hose so it is least disturbing and drag-inducing?

If you need more specific info, it would be for two set-ups:

I
Signature Mach V 30lb
OMS Backplate
Dive Rite Deluxe Harness
Sherwood Maximus regulator

II

Zeagle Scout BCD
Mares MR 12 Abyss regulator

My advice
Toss the reg with under arm hose (Maximus?)
Toss the inflator/ octo (another fine Sherwood product?)
Keep the backplate but toss the harness
Thread a few dollars worth of webbing into the BP and add a couple d-rings
Then buy some decent regs, long hose the primary, necklace the "octo"
Route the SPG on your left side and clip it with something you can easily remove under all conditions

You seem serious about your diving.

Make your gear as serious as you.

My advice
Toss the reg with under arm hose (Maximus?)
Toss the inflator/ octo (another fine Sherwood product?)
Keep the backplate but toss the harness
Thread a few dollars worth of webbing into the BP and add a couple d-rings
Then buy some decent regs, long hose the primary, necklace the "octo"
Route the SPG on your left side and clip it with something you can easily remove under all conditions

You seem serious about your diving.

Make your gear as serious as you.

All good advice with the exception of implying his regs aren't decent and that he should ditch other perfectly good pieces of gear. They're perfectly fine. Unless I missed the part where he said he wanted everything DIR.

To the OP. Keep your stuff the way you have it if that is how you're comfortable. As for the SPG, it really doesn't matter a whole lot. Run it either over or under your left arm and clip it to a somewhere where you can comfortably get to it. Don't worry about drag. A small hose is going to do exactly nothing in the grand scheme of things. Simplifying your gear is great (if that's what you're comfortable with) but don't do it thinking you're going to become a lean, mean, hydrodynamic, current-busting machine.

My backplates have holes down the sides.

I clip my redundant SPG to the bottom hole along the side of the B/P. The hose runs neatly down the wing and is nicely tucked away until such time I need it.

the K

Back
Top Bottom