Difference between DUI Wt harnesses?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BPDiver

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Whats the main difference between the DUI Classic Wt & Trim harness and the Wt & Trim II harness? Pros & cons of either?

It's right here on the web page: DUI - Weight & Trim Systems

The W&T Classic allows the weights to be adjusted fore and aft, comes in 3 sizes.
The W&T II comes in 6 sizes and the pockets are fixed on the belt.

Our tiny herd has 3 of the W&T Classic harnesses.

Richard

Last edited:
Everyone else I 've talked to and I prefer the Weight & Trim Classic. It is more trim adjustable and has wider more comfortable straps than the new version. The "extra sizing range" offered by the new system doesn't really seem necessary with the adjustability of the classic. Not sure why DUI doesn't just eliminate the II, but at least they a still make the classic.

For me, the DUI website isn't really all that clear on the difference. Do the weight belts not go on the belt on the classic? Are there any better photos?

I have a B/P & Wing and have been using a weight belt. I have no hips and if it wasn't for the crotch strap the weight belt would slide off on every dive.

Is it best to go with the Classic? Are there any other options? Anybody have photos of them wearing the harness with their gear? Nobody sells this thing around here.

The classic uses webbing material similar to(maybe the same as) a BP or other BC - perhaps a little thinner/flexible actually. It uses sliding buckled to adjust the shoulder straps. I don't think I can adjust mine without taking it off, or at least supporting the wrights so that there's slack in the straps. Pockets are movable (sliding buckle again) along the waist band. The sliding buckle adjustment means that there's no loose ends dangling, but you have to adjust them up to far, I suppose it could put the hard plastic buckes underneath your BC shoulder straps which may or may not be an issue.

I was loaned a W&T II during my OW checkout. Same problem - needed a bunch of weight for a thick suit/cold-water/fat-guy/no-butt situation. It's more of a fabric based harness, not webbing. It's shoulder straps are the "pull down" adjustable kind though, like a jacket BCD. I suppose this makes it easier to cinch them up after donning and while in the water. I haven't used the II since checkouts though so I don't know the long-term pros/cons. I suppose it's overall a bit less bulky, and the different kind of shoulder straps might make it harder to confuse with your BC straps, which I confess happens now and then when trying to doff my bp/w after a dive (I tend to pull my arm out of both straps instead of just the BC.

It's overkill if you only wear a little bit of weight, IMHO. I've actually managed to drop pretty much all of my lead for local dives after the water warms up, but I've actually used it for auxiliary pockets once or twice. It was great for our first real ocean trip when dialing in a new weight combo (different tanks than normal, salt water, anxiety/excitement of blue water). Easy to add/subtract in the pockets instead of trying to stuff weights in places they didn't belong (or didn't exist in my case). It actually makes the weights comfortable enough that you might forget to take them off after the dive now and them.

Sorry, I don't have any photos.

The movies:
http://www.dui-online.com/videos/0616/releasetrim.WMV
http://www.dui-online.com/videos/0616/rethread.WMV

The manual:
http://www.dui-online.com/pdf/wt_classic.pdf

The HowTo:
Weight Release System

The W&T Classic is, in my view, the best choice. The harness is adjusted such that the tops of the weight pockets are even with the top of the hip bone. This leaves the harness well below the BP/W. Obviously, the harness is donned before the BP/W. Pockets attached to the BP/W may overlap the weight pockets. So far that hasn't been a problem.

Diving is a lot more comfortable when you don't have to mess around with a weight belt. FWIW, it is easier to dump the weights if you pull out and down rather than straight out.

Richard

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom