New BP/W convert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gtto

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
I am relatively new to this sport and after much back and forth, decided to buy a bp/w from DSS. All the locals thought I was crazy. "Too dangerous", "not enough flotation", "if they are so good why doesn't everyone use them" and all the other reasons. All I can say is that I made the right decision. It is amazing how uncomfortable and "primitive" they look in pictures. In reality, nothing is further from the truth. It was the first time I felt like I almost had nothing on during a dive. My trim was almost perfect. I was also worried about getting in and out of the harness but it was no problem at all. Actually, a piece of cake. There is also much talk about a wing causing the diver to be face down on the surface. I found that by just leaning back a bit I was more than comfortable and had no problems whatsoever. My thanks to Tobin for the great help and to all other advice from posters on this board. Gary

PS Now all the locals want to try my harness!!:crafty:

Turned you have, to the Dark Dide. Complete, your transition soon will be.

YodaDir.jpg

I am relatively new to this sport and after much back and forth, decided to buy a bp/w from DSS. All the locals thought I was crazy. "Too dangerous", "not enough flotation", "if they are so good why doesn't everyone use them" and all the other reasons. All I can say is that I made the right decision. It is amazing how uncomfortable and "primitive" they look in pictures. In reality, nothing is further from the truth. It was the first time I felt like I almost had nothing on during a dive. My trim was almost perfect. I was also worried about getting in and out of the harness but it was no problem at all. Actually, a piece of cake. There is also much talk about a wing causing the diver to be face down on the surface. I found that by just leaning back a bit I was more than comfortable and had no problems whatsoever. My thanks to Tobin for the great help and to all other advice from posters on this board. Gary

PS Now all the locals want to try my harness!!:crafty:

Welcome aboard.

Unfortunately you have entered a entered a section of scuba diving which brings shivers to your wallet. You will start second guessing all your other gear purchases (and realizing how low the resale value is on recreational gear) and eyeballing new things like $1500 lights, double tanks, and drysuits.:D

Don't let them try your gear, instead let them watch you for a bunch more dives and eventually they will just buy their own:wink:

Good luck. T

Nice isn't it? I could have saved thousands in various equipment purchases if I had not been stubborn as a mule.

Know how you feel. In April 2008, I took my TDI Advanced Nitrox class. My instructor allowed me to use his BP/W for this course; by the end of that class, I had crossed over. I tried to resist but quickly learned that resistance is futile ..... Today, my weapon of choice is a DSS Steel Backplate with DSS 20lb. Wing.

You don't have to be a tech diver to appreciate BPW.

The first time I used my Dive Rite Transpac, I felt like I have nothing on once I get underwater and it was an amazing difference from a typical poodle jacket feeling of constriction and awkwardness.

Welcome to the club! You'll find some refreshing Kool-aid being dispensed from the 7-foot hose over by the helium tanks. :D

I'm a recent convert also. I have a steel backplate and wing. I dived Blue Lake, S. of Wendover NV/UT last week and thought I was in heaven. It was like diving with no equipment except the regulator in my mouth. Very nice. But the wing and the harness were borrowed. Oh well, more $$ to make it all mine.

The nice thing with a Steel HP100 tank, I didn't need any additional weight

Although happy with my Halcyon singles rig I am a big fan of DSS after aquiring a BP/doubles wing set-up recently. Like other posters I wish I had all the good advise that goes around this forum before I was acquiring my original equipment...

DSS has been the been one of the primary causes of the thinning of my wallet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom