New BP/W convert

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The fit, form, function and finish of the DSS Plates are much better than the Dive Rite and Halcyon steel and aluminum plates. The slots on the DSS plates have that plastic insert which prevents abrading/cutting and premature wear & tear into the harness webbing --the Dive Rite and Halcyon Aluminum plate edges & slots aren't even uniformly deburred. . .

I like my BPW. I can't think of a reason why I would switch to anything else. I really liked how it felt like I just hanging there in space the first time I used it.

"not enough flotation"

Not sure what the locals dive in your area, but how much lift are they using?!!?!? :D

Ive just converted too. I love my deep outdoors bp/w.

I started with no BC, because they simply weren't available then (neither were SPGs). The first one I bought was a back inflate on a pack with bare harness. After about 20 years it wore flat and I got a jacket. When that wore out 15 years later I started building back plates, which is as close to a 1973 BCP as I can get.

If I get a chance there is a Hawaiian rigged plate in my near future so shoulder straps become a thing of the past...

Last edited:
The fit, form, function and finish of the DSS Plates are much better than the Dive Rite and Halcyon steel and aluminum plates. The slots on the DSS plates have that plastic insert which prevents abrading/cutting and premature wear & tear into the harness webbing --the Dive Rite and Halcyon Aluminum plate edges & slots aren't even uniformly deburred. . .

Don't know about Dive Rite, but my Halcyon SS plate came perfectly deburred with a Satin finish on the plate. After 300 plus dives there is little or no wear on the harness. My doubles plate came deburred as well. We sell alot of Halcyon BP/W's and that's one of our selling points, the finish on the plate. :palmtree: Bob

Unless they have deburred and beveled the latest batch of aluminum plates from either Dive Rite or Halcyon, I would not recommend purchasing one from any dealers current stock. Easiest test is to simply run your fingers along the edges and feel for yourself. Better yet, compare it with a DSS Plate which has four sizes to fit, instead of the one size fits all approach of Halcyon/Dive Rite . . .(if DSS had products out eight years ago, I would've bought their BP/W combo instead the Halcyon SS & Aluminum I currently have).

... and eyeballing new things like $1500 lights, double tanks, and drysuits.:D

Now don't scare him. You know you can get a perfectly decent primary light for only $700! :D

Unless they have deburred and beveled the latest batch of aluminum plates from either Dive Rite or Halcyon, I would not recommend purchasing one from any dealers current stock. Easiest test is to simply run your fingers along the edges and feel for yourself. Better yet, compare it with a DSS Plate which has four sizes to fit, instead of the one size fits all approach of Halcyon/Dive Rite . . .(if DSS had products out eight years ago, I would've bought their BP/W combo instead the Halcyon SS & Aluminum I currently have).

I think Halcyon does have a smaller BP available in SS and Aluminum. As for the plates, never had any issues and I have spent time with lots of them.

welcome to this side:eyebrow:

if you thought diving was expensive before, just WAIT until you want your first set of doubles!:buggy:

Now don't scare him. You know you can get a perfectly decent primary light for only $700! :D

Just because you can get one doesn't mean you wont be eyeballing the one twice its price. Besides that only a handful of primary lights are available for under $1k anymore and I cant say I want a single one of them...

Back
Top Bottom