BCD Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

impulse

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I will be purchasing my first BCD and I want to use it for long. What brand and model you would suggest me buy?

Thanks.

Hi,

Just went though the same process. Read lots and search this forum. It has been discussed many times.

I personally went with a Cressi Aquapro 5R and after 5 dives so far, am very pleased with my decision.

Good luck

M.

hard to suggets without more info about your diving:
warm/cold water, wet/dry, purely recreational/any specialties, singles/doubles, travel/local?

then there is the decision "classic BCD" vs. backplate with wing (BP/W). If you read here, you can grow old until you are through all threads on the subject :)

Maybe my personal experience helps, even though I have no idea whether it's close to your diving habits:

after starting out diving without any BCD (25years ago), I first had a Scubapro "jacket" and later an Oceanic Shute with weight integration.

First I thought the Shute was the greatest thing since sliced bread, until I realised how darn heavy it is on land, and obstructing under water. Especially bad when travelling.

4 years ago, I switched to a BP/W setup and am very happy: almost as unobstructed as it was when I started diving, but with all the convenience of a BCD and weight integration (I hate weight belts). This decision had little to do with "DIR" or tech diving, but was driving by the quest for a simpler, lighter, more convenient setup. My complete rig incl. some "special" extras (weight integration, pocket ) now weighs around 7 pounds, or less than half of the previous BCD.

So based on my personal experience, I would always suggest a BP/W now. Brand doesn't matter so much, as the basic construction is quite similar: 3 choices of material for the plate (steel, aluminium, plastic), two basic shapes of the wing (horse shoe vs. donut), many different sizes of wing based on lifting needs.
Prices differ widely, though.

I recommend NOT buying any additional accessories (pockets, padding, "special" harnesses, ...) at first, but to try out the most basic setup with "hog" harness.

My setup is a "Kydex" backplate and "LCD30" wing from Deepseasupply, along with a basic ("hog" or "Hogarthian") harness. Many other brands are also very fine (Halcyon, Dive Rite, OMS, Zeagle, ....).

My choice was because of the unique backplate (very light weight yet tough plastic) and very narrow wing shape. This was driven by my need to have a lightweight setup for traveling and as little as possible drag, but be able to also use it for local cold water diving. I only dive singles, for doubles I would need another wing.
Deepseasupply also has, I believe, very reasonable prices compared to many others.

I later added "my own" weight integration, see a recent thread in the "Deepseasupply" subforum.

I cannot make any recommendations regarding specific "conventional" BCDs, but in my experience recent scuba gear from any of the "big names" usually is very good (Scubapro, Mares, Oceanic ...). If it shall be a regular BCD, don't fall for any of the "fancy new inventions" like integrated air hoses. Just get a middle-of-the range unit that fits your body and your budget :)

Last not least: try a few different setups before you spend the big bucks.

Safe Diving!
d.s.f.

I own a Scubapro Knighthawk and I absolutely love it. It's a back inflation BCD.

hard to suggets without more info about your diving:
warm/cold water, wet/dry, purely recreational/any specialties, singles/doubles, travel/local?

then there is the decision "classic BCD" vs. backplate with wing (BP/W). If you read here, you can grow old until you are through all threads on the subject :)

Maybe my personal experience helps, even though I have no idea whether it's close to your diving habits:

after starting out diving without any BCD (25years ago), I first had a Scubapro "jacket" and later an Oceanic Shute with weight integration.

First I thought the Shute was the greatest thing since sliced bread, until I realised how darn heavy it is on land, and obstructing under water. Especially bad when travelling.

4 years ago, I switched to a BP/W setup and am very happy: almost as unobstructed as it was when I started diving, but with all the convenience of a BCD and weight integration (I hate weight belts).This decision had little to do with "DIR" or tech diving, but was driving by the quest for a simpler, lighter, more convenient setup. My complete rig incl. some "special" extras (weight integration, pocket ) now weighs around 7 pounds, or less than half of the previous BCD.

So based on my personal experience, I would always suggest a BP/W now. Brand doesn't matter so much, as the basic construction is quite similar: 3 choices of material for the plate (steel, aluminium, plastic), two basic shapes of the wing (horse shoe vs. donut), many different sizes of wing based on lifting needs.
Prices differ widely, though.

I recommend NOT buying any additional accessories (pockets, padding, "special" harnesses, ...) at first, but to try out the most basic setup with "hog" harness.

My setup is a "Kydex" backplate and "LCD30" wing from Deepseasupply, along with a basic ("hog" or "Hogarthian") harness. Many other brands are also very fine (Halcyon, Dive Rite, OMS, Zeagle, ....).

My choice was because of the unique backplate (very light weight yet tough plastic) and very narrow wing shape. This was driven by my need to have a lightweight setup for traveling and as little as possible drag, but be able to also use it for local cold water diving. I only dive singles, for doubles I would need another wing.
Deepseasupply also has, I believe, very reasonable prices compared to many others.

I later added "my own" weight integration, see a recent thread in the "Deepseasupply" subforum.

I cannot make any recommendations regarding specific "conventional" BCDs, but in my experience recent scuba gear from any of the "big names" usually is very good (Scubapro, Mares, Oceanic ...). If it shall be a regular BCD, don't fall for any of the "fancy new inventions" like integrated air hoses. Just get a middle-of-the range unit that fits your body and your budget :)

Last not least: try a few different setups before you spend the big bucks.

Safe Diving!
d.s.f.

Thanks for sharing your experience :) It's a very usuaful informaition. By the way, I love weight belts :) From my point of view, weight belts are very usueful. You can easily add or remove weights from a wieght belt, even underwater. But this is a personal choice ofcourse.

I will be diving in both warm water and cold water. I will be using a wetsuit and will be purel recreational and will be carrying a single tank. All this is for the next couple of years. Maybe in a far future, like 4-5 years later, I would shift to tech diving. That's what I want to do in the future but that will be a long time later.

I think I am going to buy sequest latitued. Please see it here >>> Seaquest Latitude XLT BC . I think it has no bp/w, yes? I decided to buy this BCD because of it's price and simplicity. What do you think?

Good choice for a 4-5 year time frame.
Even if you decide to upgrade in a few years, everyone likes a spare for a friend.
Chug

Thanks for sharing your experience :) It's a very usuaful informaition. By the way, I love weight belts :) From my point of view, weight belts are very usueful. You can easily add or remove weights from a wieght belt, even underwater. But this is a personal choice ofcourse.

I will be diving in both warm water and cold water. I will be using a wetsuit and will be purel recreational and will be carrying a single tank. All this is for the next couple of years. Maybe in a far future, like 4-5 years later, I would shift to tech diving. That's what I want to do in the future but that will be a long time later.

I think I am going to buy sequest latitued. Please see it here >>> Seaquest Latitude XLT BC . I think it has no bp/w, yes? I decided to buy this BCD because of it's price and simplicity. What do you think?

Hi, I am not familiar with this particular BCD. It certainly doesn't "have" BP/W, it's a conventional "jacket style" BCD. BP/W is a specific type of BCD, consisting of a simple plate that holds the straps, tank, and bladder, as well as a removable bladder or "wing" that sits between the plate and the tank. It's origin is "tech diving", however, one doesn't need to be a tech diver to use it or take advantage of the benefits: simple, sturdy, upgradeable, no clutter around the chest, excellent swimming position.

A step between a BP/W and a "regular" BCD is a "backinflated" BCD. While these are still "one piece", i.e., not expandable, they do share the advantage of having the bladder between back and tank, not around the chest. Much more comfy!

Btw, forget the myth that back inflated BCD or BP/W "push your face in the water" when you are at the surface. It's a urban legend, surprisingly long lived one :)

A good example at a very good price is this one:
Mares Pegasus BCD with MRS Plus Weight Pockets, Black

it also is weight integrated. Btw, having "no weight belt", i.e. a weight integrated system, usually allows much easier adding or removal of weights, as there is no belt to thread or buckle to remove. Under water, you can usually remove partial weights without risk of loosing the whole belt. rather tricky with a belt.

Happy diving, d.s.f.

Hi, I am not familiar with this particular BCD. It certainly doesn't "have" BP/W, it's a conventional "jacket style" BCD. BP/W is a specific type of BCD, consisting of a simple plate that holds the straps, tank, and bladder, as well as a removable bladder or "wing" that sits between the plate and the tank. It's origin is "tech diving", however, one doesn't need to be a tech diver to use it or take advantage of the benefits: simple, sturdy, upgradeable, no clutter around the chest, excellent swimming position. Good explanation. Thank you. Could you send me a link that shows a BP/W BCD? I didn't know that choosing a BCD can be this much tricky.

A step between a BP/W and a "regular" BCD is a "backinflated" BCD. While these are still "one piece", i.e., not expandable, they do share the advantage of having the bladder between back and tank, not around the chest. Much more comfy! I never thought about these things, thanks for the info.

Btw, forget the myth that back inflated BCD or BP/W "push your face in the water" when you are at the surface. Hehe, I do not want to get drowned when I inflate my BCD to stay on the surface.It's a urban legend, surprisingly long lived one :)Ok :D

A good example at a very good price is this one:
Mares Pegasus BCD with MRS Plus Weight Pockets, Black Looking good.

it also is weight integrated. Btw, having "no weight belt", i.e. a weight integrated system, usually allows much easier adding or removal of weights, as there is no belt to thread or buckle to remove. Under water, you can usually remove partial weights without risk of loosing the whole belt. rather tricky with a belt. What do you do if you need to remove your weights instantly? It's easy to do with a weight belt but seems difficult if you put the wieghs in the pockets.

Happy diving, d.s.f.

Thanks for the info.

here is a general article on BP/W: Backplate and wing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and search in the forum, there's a quadrillion posts :)

I bought my equipment here: www.deepseasupply.com
I believe they also sell preconfigured setups.

site also has some good explanation, and the owner (Tobin) responds quickly to questions, and is quite active here in the forum. Go to the equipment manufacturer subforum.

Reg. the weight ditching:
It is often taught in Scuba classes that one should be able to ditch the weights. I don't know why, in recreational scuba diving this should never really be necessary (also not in an emergency)! The equipment is quite light and the expanding suit helps when you swim up. In case over overweighting (not eating too much :) , but using too much weights so one constantly needs some air in the BCD) and a BCD failure, it is much safer if you are able to ditch weights partially so you become bouyant again.

It is very dangerous if you ditch all your weights (or loose the belt!) and shoot up to the surface, as it can lead to a barotrauma of the lung and DCS (if you don't go back down).

Happy diving, d.s.f.

Some more info in your profile would be helpful. If you are diving locally you should look at the NASA pictures from their underwater training centers.

What BC's have you used? Which ones did you like best? Which ones did you like the least? What did you like or dislike about the BC's you have used. What is your height, weight, fitness level and comfort level in the water? Are you going to be renting wetsuits in both the 3-5mm waters and 7mm john/jacket waters?

BTW - it is not a myth that compared to jacket style BC'c both back inflate and bp/w BC's do not float you on your back at the surface as easily. It is also not a myth that in some panic or gear failure situations back inflate and bp/w have pushed divers face into the water, whereas the same situations in a jacket BC rarely result in face in the water push.

With regards to ditchable weights, which basic open water training agency does not include releasable weight scenarios? There have been a number of drownings in recreational scuba directly related to NOT ditching the weights. If you are prone to losing a weight belt, use an integrated BC until your fitness regime finds your waist!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom