BP harness sliding

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crush

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
There have been so many BP/w threads on the board lately that I feel compelled to start another one.

I just dove my new BP/w three times last weekend. Previously I have dived a Zeagle Scout rear-inflate BC. Frankly I was a bit underwhelmed by the experience, but I will dive the BP/w several more times before passing judgment.

One issue that I had was that one shoulder strap tightened up too much when I snugged up the belt. I am thinking of using what I would refer to as a serrated belt slide to prevent the shoulder loop from tightening again. I can think of two ways of installing the belt slide - which do you all feel would be better?

1. Remove webbing from BP waist slots, insert belt slide onto webbing (both slots), re-insert webbing through BP waist slots; or
2. Remove webbing from one BP waist slot, insert belt slide onto webbing (both slots), re-insert webbing through remaining BP waist slot.

Approach #2 seems more elegant, but will it hold as well?

Thanks

Last edited:
With the standard retaining clip that mounts behind the backplate, I can't imagine how it could slip. Mine never moves.

Simple - mine didn't come with a retaining clip. If you replace all instance of "belt slide" with "retaining clip," how is it threaded?

There have been so many BP/w threads on the board lately that I feel compelled to start another one.

I just dove my new BP/w three times last weekend. Previously I have dived a Zeagle Scout rear-inflate BC. Frankly I was a bit underwhelmed by the experience, but I will dove the BP/w several more times before passing judgment.

One issue that I had was that one shoulder strap tightened up too much when I snugged up the belt. I am thinking of using what I would refer to as a serrated belt slide to prevent the shoulder loop from tightening again. I can think of two ways of installing the belt slide - which do you all feel would be better?

1. Remove webbing from BP waist slots, insert belt slide onto webbing (both slots), re-insert webbing through BP waist slots; or
2. Remove webbing from one BP waist slot, insert belt slide onto webbing (both slots), re-insert webbing through remaining BP waist slot.

Approach #2 seems more elegant, but will it hold as well?

Thanks

Underwhelmed, then you simply aren't doing it right! All sarcasm aside, I had a similar issue with mine.

I added 2 XS SCUBA weight pockets to the waistband portion of the single-piece webbing and I found out that with weight in them; when I took off the BC they would pull the webbing and make it really tight around the shoulders. I purchased 2 stainless steel belt slides one for each side on the inside of the webbing. So I have the webbing threaded through the belt slide and the belt slide rests against the backplate, preventing the webbing from being pulled by the weight placed on the waist-portion of the webbing. So I did option 1 I believe and it took all of 10 minutes to do.

If you are referring to the lower corner, the webbing comes down forming the shoulder strap. goes through the plate towards teh back, through the clip, back through the other side of the clip and back through the plate towards the front forming the wastebelt.

Sounds easy when you say it fast :)

mpetryk....can you manage to get some photos on here to illustrate? I can't quite work out what you are describing. :)

Not until close of business.

The webbing is routed correctly as far as I can tell, based upon the illustrations sent with the unit and upon Dive Rite's web page.

When I tighten the belt the webbing pulls my shoulder strap too tight - the shoulder slack is being taken up when the webbing slides through the two parallel, angled slots on the bottom side of the BP. Perhaps the unit did come with retaining clips - I should look for them.

If you are referring to the lower corner, the webbing comes down forming the shoulder strap. goes through the plate towards teh back, through the clip, back through the other side of the clip and back through the plate towards the front forming the wastebelt.

Sounds easy when you say it fast :)

That's what I tried to describe as option #2, above. I'll try it. Thanks.

Yes, the length of the shoulder straps shouldn't change when you pull on the waist strap.

All of my harnesses are threaded so that the webbing comes down from the shoulders, goes through the plate from front to back, has the triglide threaded onto the harness, and then goes through the second slot from back to front. That way the shoulder straps can't pull looser, and the waist strap can't pull them tighter.

Make sure you don't make the shoulder straps too tight, and that you check them for symmetry, and that the crotch strap is short enough. You definitely want the crotch strap to pull the waist strap down a little bit. That way, the shoulder straps can be long enough to make it easy to get in and out of the harness, and the rig will still be stable on your back.

I don't know where you are in Alberta, but if you are near Edmonton, nadwidny is there and he has a team he dives with; perhaps one of them could meet with you and make sure everything is put together and adjusted properly?

All of my harnesses are threaded so that the webbing comes down from the shoulders, goes through the plate from front to back, has the triglide threaded onto the harness, and then goes through the second slot from back to front. That way the shoulder straps can't pull looser, and the waist strap can't pull them tighter.

That is the way mine is configured, save for I either don't have a triglide, or I have ones and don't know what it is. If it is that metal rectangle with two rectangular slots cut out of it (possibly serrated), then I have them but haven't installed them yet but will install them tonight.

Make sure... that the crotch strap is short enough.

We are getting quite personal now... :)

You definitely want the crotch strap to pull the waist strap down a little bit. That way, the shoulder straps can be long enough to make it easy to get in and out of the harness, and the rig will still be stable on your back.

Thanks for the tip. With my BC my long hose used to be long enough to tuck into my waist band. Now it is a tad too short, and pulling the belt down won't help that... :(

I don't know where you are in Alberta, but if you are near Edmonton, nadwidny is there and he has a team he dives with; perhaps one of them could meet with you and make sure everything is put together and adjusted properly?

I am pretty as far away from Edmonton as you can be while still being in Alberta.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom