OMS vs HALCYON

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sparkey

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a new halcyon 55lb wing and i also have a new 94 lb oms wing and i will soon be diving doubles....need some suggestions should i sell the halcyon and buy another 94lb oms wing..I'm trying to set-up a rec set and a tech set-up,,,any help would be greatly appreciated

I have a new halcyon 55lb wing and i also have a new 94 lb oms wing and i will soon be diving doubles....need some suggestions should i sell the halcyon and buy another 94lb oms wing..I'm trying to set-up a rec set and a tech set-up,,,any help would be greatly appreciated
The 55 lb wing is great for doubles with al 80s...are you diving dry or wet with doubles....What makes you think you need more lift than 55 lbs? Remember, if you rig slick enough, you won't use as much gas, and you won't be breathing more gas to cover the burden of dragging more gas with you :)

Regards,
DanV

There is virtually no setup where you are going to need 94 lbs of lift. The Halcyon should suffice for Aluminum or most steel doubles, and a deco bottle and stage, and most exposure protection. Get rid of the oversized OMS wing, and buy a properly sized wing for your recreational setup.

is the Halcyon you already have a doubles wing I assume? Being that you mention you want to set up a recreational kit also, if you are looking for a nice singles wing (there is no such thing as a good 'one wing does both') take a look at the Halcyon eclipse 40..

the thing is, with a bungie wing (and this is speaking as someone who OWNED an 80lb bungie wing) you get the bulk of a larger wing, but you can never really get the 'full' lift out of it because of the bungies. they will always trigger the overpressure before full inflation unless you have them very loose, and then you have a very bulky wing.

the thing with using a 'big' (read: doubles) wing with single tank is that it doesn't matter if the lift is 'small' enough, its the width of the area inside the wing is too big and will wrap up the side of the tank and cause 'taco-wing'. i have yet to see a doubles wing that actually works (with advertised lift capacity) back and forth between single and double tank.

cheers,

Laura

soon i'll be diving E8 130's doubles with bare drysuit..the guy that i bought the E8 130's from was on here and he was useing the 55lb halcyon wing with these very doubles

also i have my oms wing set up to where there are no bungees on the back all bungees are on the front (jocassee style) and that eliminates the taco effect

no I'll be diving E8 130's with either the 94lb oms or the 55lb halcyon...my instructor who has been teaching TDI fo the last 40 yrs and also teaches the local police dept and fire dept said that in extream depth's you MAY need more than 55lb..my goal is 300 ft at lake jocassee where we can get 315ft down to the little town down there..i thank you for your advice it gives me something to think about

I used a 55 lb halcyon wing in back mount and it was enough to support cave filled double 95s, two stages, an LP 45 deco bottle, a can light, reels etc. That was a full load for the lift capacity of the wing in a 3mm wet suit, but a 55 pound wing will be all you need until you get to the point you need to lift more than that.

You should not need more than 65lbs of lift if so I wonder how balanced your rig is?

The Halcyon will be sufficient for your Tec needs! The 94lbs. OMS wing is overkill. Maybe the only possible scenario for the OMS is if you are in Steel 130's with steel stages. Most Current Views on Tec Training, divers are using Alum Stages which have better buoyancy characteristics which give you better Control in the water.

Back
Top Bottom