Very stiff webbing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ntmainstrm

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,
I just picked up a very well used Transpack. Looks like an old rental. The straps are so hard they are difficult to use and adjust. Does anyone have a suggestion about how to soften this old very stiff webbing?

can you remove the straps? If so, try soaking them is Fabric Softener.... (not sure what it would do to the whole rig if you can't remove them).

I had the same thing on my Hollis SMS100. I tried everything from fabric softener to soaking for two days in water. Nothing worked. Replaced them finally after finding some that were more pliable.

Hi all,
I just picked up a very well used Transpack. Looks like an old rental. The straps are so hard they are difficult to use and adjust. Does anyone have a suggestion about how to soften this old very stiff webbing?

It's probably the wrong webbing, and not just old. Webbing comes "normal" and "stiff", and there is no way I know if to soften the stiff webbing.

Just replace it with webbing you like.

flots

Transpacs do not have any webbing that can be replaced with ease.
It is however designed as a modular rig.
You can buy new shoulder straps and treat the waist strap as earlier posters mentioned.
My Transpac II is about 10 years old and has several hundred dives on it.
It doesn't have unmanageable strapping, most of my dives are fresh H2O.
Perhaps it is salt crystals embedded in them.
Use a trashcan and give it a week long rinse/dip.

Thanks to all. I did think about replacing the waist webbing but it was sewn and fastened with a grommet. After the advice I again started thinking about it. A trip to the LDS for webbing, Home Depot for a grommet tool and thanks to my girlfriend for having the tool and the patience to remove the stitching, I have a "like new" transpack!

The issue with mine was the cam bands were so stiff, you had a real hard time securing the tanks. Those were easily replacable. The shoulder and waist straps are stiff, but workable.

Hello Mainstrm,

Glad to hear you have your problem sorted, but in general, the easiest way I've found to soften stiff webbing is to loop it over a bar (like a chin up bar) then with as much weight as you can apply on, pull it over the bar in one direction, then the other. Do this as many times as necessary. Having said that, I like stiff shoulder webbing and softer webbing for a weightbelt.

c

The issue with mine was the cam bands were so stiff, you had a real hard time securing the tanks. Those were easily replacable. The shoulder and waist straps are stiff, but workable.

Having the same issue with my SMS100. In addition, the cams wouldn't "snap down," with just the velcro to take the load of securing the straps. Not too comfortable with that. Swapped out the bands for some old Zeagle cam bands.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom