Do you have CCR Cave Training?

What training do CCR Cave Divers have?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
This poll is directed towards divers that are both CCR and Cave certified.

How many of you dive CCR and only took an OW Cave Course.

How many took a Cave course geared towards CCR.

Who has both?

What do you feel are the major differences in the courses?

Damnit, I voted without reading the actual post. I'm not CCR trained.

-1 off the effin OW Cave only button :/

Sorry.

:rofl3: No worries Matt.

Thanks for being the guinea pig. I edited the poll to (hopefully) make it more clear. :)

I did intro cave on OC then did the whole thing over again on CCR since there is no intro on CCR. Two different instructors two different perspectives (well sortof)

CCR Cave only for me... but I'm a really a CCR only diver, and it doesn't make a lot of sense for me to dive it OC.

Until about a couple of years ago, I had 12 open circuit dives, basically OW+Nitrox, and the subsequent hundreds were all rebreather dives. From my time in open water, I basically knew that was the way I was going, so there was little point to me doing full cave o/c and then trying to transition.

I've gone back since and done a bunch of monkey diving, and a couple dozen dubs dives, just to remind my back and shoulders of why I don't blow bubbles :)

CCR Cave covered a set of procedures and rules that both were not covered in Mod 1-3 of CCR class, nor would be covered in OC Cave, as they're not relevant to OC diving... On the other hand, in the course I took, I think there'd also be a lot of overlap - trim, navigation, drills, etc would all seem to be the same, for instance. There was a fair bit of CCR specific stuff in the overhead environment, though. I'd call it fodder for a day or two long crossover course, at least, although I didn't feel (not having O/C Cave) that it'd be like ab initio training.

I did intro cave on OC then did the whole thing over again on CCR since there is no intro on CCR. Two different instructors two different perspectives (well sortof)

Any comments on the differences learned in the two courses?

Any comments on the differences learned in the two courses?

Wow where to start. My OC instructor was trained by the guy who became my CCR cave instructor both of whom I can not say enough good things about.

Our CCR consisted of one other OC cave trained and one purely CCR trained diver.

Bailout range was an important lesson. We were allowed as a team to decide how far we felt we could go on our bailout. Matt then found what must be the only cave in Mexico with any flow and had us all bail out while diving in the siphon. He then picked me as the last one out to be delayed while my team swam away on me:idk:. I actually ran out of bailout gas during my delayed exit and had to go back on the loop. We all up-sized our bailout bottles to 80s. We then were allowed to decide how we would conduct team bailout. We agreed the OOG diver should be positioned in the middle so that he could access either the diver in front of back for additional gas. Somehow during a touch contact team repositioning the team swam away from me, Matt held me back and let them go ahead without me :idk:
So basically we were permitted to make our own decisions that led to our own problems.
We were able to do much more complex lost line and lost buddy drills due to the greatly extended staying capability of the RB. Then of course the RB drills themselves but since 2 of us were meg instructors we didn't dwell on them too much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom