Beginning cavern and cave!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nicko32

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Ok guys I'm currently in the process of beginning my cavern and cave training soon down in florida. I have heard nothing but great things about Jim Wyatt and highly consider using him as my instructor. But at the same time I somehow got ahold of Jim McMicheal, and talked with him for awhile and really like the way he describes his training approach. But I have very little info concerning about Jim McMicheal as to if I just use him or not. So if anyone does know of him any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

As far as gear selection goes I need a lot of help as my local dive shops dont carry or cater to the cave/tech enviorenment. And I'm really hung up on as to wether I should dive backmount doubles or sidemount. I plan to purchase all dive rite gear due to the fact of all I have heard is great things along with it's developed in the heart of cave country. So some of my questions are which is quicker to learn backmount or sidemount? Which is easier to obtain bouyancy and trim? I would like to purchase my gear before going down to florida and if at all possible make some dives before hand to prevent being overloaded. Also what are some of yalls gear configurations for cave diving, that would better suit a beginner in the cave realm.

As a cavern/cave instructor and a person that has been diving this stuff off and on for over 20 years (minus a break here and there), I would suggest diving the configuration you are most comfortable with. If you have been diving sidemount for awhile, then use sidemount. But if you have never dove sidemount in your life, I will suggest that your cavern and cave class is not the right time to learn. If yu have never dove sidemount I would recommend regular back mounted doubles.

Here's why: there is already enough extra task loading with cave diving that you do not need extra things to crowd your brain when you are first learning. You have to keep you're awareness of the environment, your buoyancy, your trim, where is your buddy?, where is the line?, which is the correct way out?, etc. if you are already comfortable with sidemount to the point where you are not task loaded with managing your tanks, then no problem. But if you do not have the sidemount muscle memory, your cavern class is not the time to try and develop it. Doubles will be challenging enough, but IMHO they are easier to learn than sidemount.

if at all possible make some dives before hand to prevent being overloaded..

Don't make it "if at all possible",make is absolutely necessary. You have to ask yourself,would you really want to enter overhead environment without being familiar with the gear. Your instructor is really the best to answer the questions about configuration and gear manufacturers.

Thanks guys. I think I may go ahead and dive backmount doubles. I'm going this week to meet up with a local cave diver/ow level instructor who dives sidemount and backmount. And he is going to give some insight along with willing to help me learn either one prior to my cavern and cave training.

The caves you should be diving as a new cave diver don't require sidemount. And it's my experience that, if you want to practice at home with your cave gear, it's a LOT easier to dive open water in backmounted doubles.

Last edited:
Huh? Did you mean "don't require sidemount?"

I was wondering the same thing?

I plan on doing all of my training in doubles. And prefer to enter any overhead enviorenment with doubles over a single.

---------- Post added May 25th, 2014 at 09:33 PM ----------

I run into an issue though that I'm going to have to purchase double cylinders as none of my local dive shops carry anything other than al80's with yoke valves.

Oops. . . fixed it!

Jim McMichael is a good instructor. However be prepared not to pass. He has no qualms about flunking anyone who doesn't meet the standards.

Thanks good to finally hear something about him. And Jim was openly honest about that over the phone. And I dont blame him for being like that. I rather someone be honest and just flunk me and say i'm not ready rather than pass me and send off into something I'm not ready for.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom