First night in Grand Cayman East End Where to dine?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubasteve1982

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Just arrived at Morritts grand on the east end and want to know where to eat. So chime in locals, where are the good places on the east end, We don't want to drive far. Any informal local place will do fine, just make sure its good!

I think Portofino is good - it's on the road to East End (from Morritts) about 1 mile or so away. Another pretty decent place is Over the Edge, on the road to Rum Point about 5 miles or so from Morritts.

There just are not a lot of options for eating out in East End itself. Aside from restaurants at the resorts (Morritt's and Reef Resort) the eastern districts offer:

East End
Portofino - Italian, Indian, and seafood dishes. about 2 miles from Morritts heading back towards the village of East End. $$$

Miss Vivines Kitchen - Truly local fare served from the kitchen of Miss Vivinie. Located in Gun Bay about 3 miles from Morritts heading back towards East End. $

Arlains - quick service burgers, pizza, and such. Located almost across the road from Ocean Frontiers about 3.5 miles from Morritts. $

East End Fish Fry - offering fried fish and Caribbean sides such as festival or rice and beans. Located on the beach behind the Texaco in East End. $

North Side
Over the Edge - offering sandwiches, seafood, steaks and such with Caribbean twist and island-style sides. Located on North Side Road about 8 miles from Morritts heading towards Rum Point. $$

Rum Point Restaurant (night)/ Wreck bar and Grill (day) - offering seafood and Caribbean menu by night - burgers and sandwiches by day. The Wreck Bar is famous for ta$ty blender drink$. Located at Rum Point about 13 miles from Morritts. $$$/$$

Kaibo Yacht Club - offering burgers to fine Caribbean influenced cuisine. Located on Water Cay just down a side road from Rum Point and about 14 miles from Morritts. $$/$$$

Bodden Town
Lorna Woods jerk stand - offering jerk chicken, beef, or pork with Caribbean sides. Located on Bodden Town Road about 15 miles from Morritts. $

Chesters Jerk Center - offering jerk with Caribbean sides. Located on Bodden Town Road about 15.5 miles from Morritts. $

Rankine Jerk Center - also offering jerk with Caribeban sides. Located on Shamrock about 15.5 miles from Morritts - look for the fiberglass cow. $

Subway/Dominos/Wendys/Pizza Hut/Dragon Garden (chinese)/MacDonalds (fried chicken)/Native Taste (local fare) - a wide variety of choices are in Savannah, either in or near the Countryside Village Shopping Center about 18 miles from Morritts -(most of the way back to George Town). $/$$

And finally the not-a-restaurant. Ask the dive shop staff or resort personnel about Roland's Garden.

Roland's Garden is not a restaurant.
- There is no menu. You eat whatever he prepares.
- BYOB, he has no liquor license.
- Reservations are mandatory.
- You pay what you think it was worth.

Roland's Garden is located in Cottage, about 8 miles from Morritts heading around south towards Bodden Town.

Bodden Town
Lorna Woods jerk stand - offering jerk chicken, beef, or pork with Caribbean sides. Located on Bodden Town Road about 15 miles from Morritts. $

Chesters Jerk Center - offering jerk with Caribbean sides. Located on Bodden Town Road about 15.5 miles from Morritts. $

Rankine Jerk Center - also offering jerk with Caribeban sides. Located on Shamrock about 15.5 miles from Morritts - look for the fiberglass cow. $

Chester's is definitely recommended. Drew, I thought Woods is closed - am I wrong about that?

There is a sign (bright orange poster board) on the side of Lorna Wood's but I haven't stopped to read it. It went up maybe two weeks ago. When I passed by two days ago the lights were on and it looked like they were cooking.

A few years ago (after Hurricane Ivan), Lorna's was briefly shut down. Government started cracking down on the assortment of roadside stands which had popped up. Lorna made the required upgrades and has been happily in business since then.

Thanks for the replies.

So far we've tried:

Over the edge: Great food and service, even better view. Prices are decent, still expensive but decently priced for the island.

Mimi's dock bar: Food is not bad, expensive drinks. Nice view.

The Lighthouse: Amazing food! Try the rack of lamb and don't forget dessert. We went there last night for a birthday dinner and we were completely satisfied. Great service and view! Very pricey but great!

We are going to give Miss Vivines Kitchen a try tonight for a late lunch before our night dive!

Thanks again!

There is a sign (bright orange poster board) on the side of Lorna Wood's ...quote]

Well, I stopped to look. The big orange sign was listing additions to her menu.

Lorna's is typically closed Sunday and Monday, if I recall correctly. Otherwise she is open for business nightly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom