Diver in Critical Condition After Rescue Attempt

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WendyCayman

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
cayCompass.com :: Diver critical after rescue attempt

*I believe that the Dive Op Staff were from Sun Divers because they are on site at Turtle Reef... however Sunset Divers could have been involved.

A woman who got into trouble diving in the waters off northwest Grand Cayman Thursday is now in critical condition at a local hospital.

According to police, the woman managed to swim to shore with her dive partner around 12.30pm Thursday near the Turtle Reef location along North West Point Road in West Bay.

She was having difficulty breathing and eventually went unconscious, police said.

Staff from Sunset Divers responded and assisted with CPR and oxygen before paramedics arrived. It was understood the woman and her partner had been on a shore dive.

The woman, 51, was taken to hospital and remains in critical condition. She is identified by friends as the wife of a Cayman Islands hotel executive. The Caymanian Compass is not releasing her name at this time.

The incident is under investigation by Royal Cayman Islands Police Marine Unit officers.

OMG -- Hope she recovers!

Difficulty breathing and still managed to swim to shore . . . That's a tough character. I hope we learn more.

Tragic, and I certainly offer my hopes for a full and speedy recovery. But what "rescue attempt"? There's nothing in that article about a rescue. Just a ressucitation on dry land.

Very sad news. My prayers go out to the family and those involved.

Shame, so sad!!! I hope all the best for her family...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom