Best time of year for Honduras or Belize?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Husband and I are considering a trip to Honduras or Belize and are curious as to what is the best time of year to go.

Also if you have any advice as to where to stay... we are looking for something comfortable, clean, and reasonably priced.

Thanks !!!

Traveling to Roatan can be more challenging during the off season as there are no direct flights (AFAIK). You'll need to charter a puddle jumper, which the resorts can help you with. I prefer to travel to either Belize or Roatan during this time due to the cost savings, but you will also be at the mercy of weather. Getting into Belize City is pretty straight forward at any time of the year.

CocoView
Anthony's Key
Turneffe Island Resort (TIR)(not cheap, but better than TF)
Turneffe Flats (TF) (Like-pricing of TIR)

Husband and I are considering a trip to Honduras or Belize and are curious as to what is the best time of year to go.

The very best? April through June. At least in terms of the weather being warm and dry. The critters are moving about the water column and life is abounding.

The broader question bears a much longer answer, as this region, Bay Islands and Belize, stands in a uniquely isolated position during Caribbean Storm season, which runs in various forms from August through February. This is a much longer discussion and the two areas, although 90 miles apart, must be viewed differently at those times of year.

Also if you have any advice as to where to stay... we are looking for something comfortable, clean, and reasonably priced.

Here's the well reasoned and standard ScubaBoard answer: What do you mean by reasonably priced? What kind of daily dive access do you want? And so on, and so on... Too broad of a question. And even more so when you are inquiring about both "Honduras" (meaning, likely, one of several Bay Islands, each distinctly different) and Belize (referring to one of the many keys offshore).

Many variants involved in your question.

What are you specifically looking for out of your dive vacation dollar? Diving 5x a day or Margaritas in a hammock? Different answers.

Traveling to Roatan can be more challenging during the off season as there are no direct flights (AFAIK).

Continental flies to Roatan throughout the year, but at a reduced frequency during the off season.

As far as what time is best, RoatanMan has said it well. It depends on which country you are going to. With regard to Roatan, mid-November through mid-February is the rainy season. Having said that, it may rain for days at a time or just a little but I tend not to go to Roatan at that time.

I am on Roatan right now. I prefer coming June through September to both Belize and Roatan because it is the slow season. Yes, it's hot, but that's what the water is for. Yes, it can sometimes affect visibility but you still will have great visibility, well over 100ft in some cases. Also, the slower season means less competition at dive sites.

Roatanman is right on with his answers. It would help to know more about your criteria for selecting a location. Also, I suggest you check the Belize and Bay Islands subforums as they contain more information specific to the two locations. Both locations have much to offer. Once you narrow down the location, lots of folks can offer more input on accommodations.

I'm hoping for two weeks of sunshine and calm seas in the second half of December in Roatan - with just a light sprinkling of snow for Christmas Day.

I was lucky with weather during 7 day trips to Ambergris Caye last year in July and December. I wonder what it would be like to see the reefs lit up by lightening.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom