versa pro calibration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
i have 2 - though one is my girlfriend's. one vp is from scubatoys and the other i got from ebay used. the new one has a grey side button, uses yellow color after green on the front and reads oceanic on the side. the one from ebay has an orange side button and uses orange instead of yellow, plus it says versa pro on the side.

the problem i have is that the readings don't match. for temperature there is roughly a 2 degree celcius difference, and for depth it's about 1 meter difference (give or take depending on depth). i think the one from scubatoys is correct in depth, but wrong on temperature. i wore them both on one dive and while the scubatoys one was still on the last green, the ebay one was 10 minutes away from deco - i think the difference was due to the depth reading difference... by the time i surfaced they were only separated by one bubble though.

anyway, do they get recalibrated during service, and how much does service tend to cost for these? the one from scubatoys has warrenty, the ebay one doesn't.

Oceanic cannot recalibrate their computers, when they have problems they just replace them with refurbished units.

well, an oceanic rep got back to me. he said they can reclibrate the units. the one with warrenty will be free and the other one will cost $85. incidentally, this means that i ended up paying almost as much for the used one ($20-30 less) than for the new one when the service cost is factored in. oh well, it's always a gamble buying used. of course, i could just continue to use them without recalibration...

1 meter difference in depth should not matter all that much. If it bothers you, I'd send the one back under warranty, and see what happens.

Next time I dive I'll compare my depth with my buddy's (he dives an Aeris Atoms II as do I) just for grins. We will have to make sure we both hold our wrists at exactly the same place to take a reading.

I think they are very similar at depth, but slightly different in the temp area. IMO the temp does not matter at all if they are off a bit, but 2C is actually a bit much. I think ours is about a 2F difference, but maybe we will get a third reading (and likely a another difference).

RonFrank:
1 meter difference in depth should not matter all that much. If it bothers you, I'd send the one back under warranty, and see what happens.

Next time I dive I'll compare my depth with my buddy's (he dives an Aeris Atoms II as do I) just for grins. We will have to make sure we both hold our wrists at exactly the same place to take a reading.

I think they are very similar at depth, but slightly different in the temp area. IMO the temp does not matter at all if they are off a bit, but 2C is actually a bit much. I think ours is about a 2F difference, but maybe we will get a third reading (and likely a another difference).

i guess you are right. the second-hand computer seems to always be one bubble ahead of the new one though (2 bubbles if we are diving around 40m), which is a little annoying and which I blame on the depth difference (it's about 0.5m difference in shallow waters, and grows to about 1.5m differerence as I go down to 40m).

having said that, i'm planning to start using the gauge mode anyway because i plan to implement a different algorithm/deco profile. mainly i just need accurate info from one (and then i can adjust for the other in my head), so maybe i'll send in the one with warranty as you suggested.

Is quite strange you know, i was doing a planned air deco dive to (well pretty shallow but still) 37m using 3 well known algorithms, and took 2 computers with me..

Last stop at 3m (all deep stops mostly the same) were, 15, 15, and 16 minutes My Cressi Archimedes II came in with 15 minutes (yep, it was pretty much a square profile dive)

My Vera Pro as redundant backup showed me as having 2 minutes No Stop Time remaining!!! and about a 0.4m-0.7m differnece in depth (Im assuming the Cressi is calibrated in fresh water, and the oceanic salt water)..

From this point on, the oceanic has happily been enjoying guage mode!!!!

Steve

Computer thermometers are seldom accurate. Ask 20 divers on a boat what the temp was on their comp, disregard 2 highest and 2 lowest, average the other 16. I carry a small room thermometer with the glass super glued to the plastic.

I'd put the more conservative one on the GF and dive them both within the Green Zone!
RisingPhoenix:
Is quite strange you know, i was doing a planned air deco dive to (well pretty shallow but still) 37m using 3 well known algorithms, and took 2 computers with me..

Last stop at 3m (all deep stops mostly the same) were, 15, 15, and 16 minutes My Cressi Archimedes II came in with 15 minutes (yep, it was pretty much a square profile dive)

My Vera Pro as redundant backup showed me as having 2 minutes No Stop Time remaining!!! and about a 0.4m-0.7m differnece in depth (Im assuming the Cressi is calibrated in fresh water, and the oceanic salt water)..

From this point on, the oceanic has happily been enjoying guage mode!!!!

Steve
Oceanics have a rep for being liberal, but they are no more liberal than Padi dive tables. Anyone who wants to give up dive time by diving more conservative than that can adjust the settings on the VP. Your VP was well within the Yellow Zone, was it not? That means longer safety stops to get back to Green!

DandyDon:
Oceanics have a rep for being liberal, but they are no more liberal than Padi dive tables. Anyone who wants to give up dive time by diving more conservative than that can adjust the settings on the VP.

Really??

It seems every other computer i dive with on my VP be it Uwatec, Seiko Based, Or Suunto my VP is horrendus (in fact even less conservative than a versa on the same profile!! and no the VP was not set to nitrox) 15 minutes deco difference to me is alot regadless (might i add, another person on this same dive had a suunto mozzie that i had to hang on the line with for 25 @ 3 !!)

Maybe my VP has problems too (but it has only just come back from oceanpanic becoz the backlight gave up on it) and it does occasionaly decide to do a dive to 1.2m by itself!!!

These issues are why i now use it in guage mode, call it bad luck maybe, but another few minutes on the line to avoid bubble trouble is worth it, wouldnt you agree?

Steve

PS I dont reacall ANY setting on the VP for conservatism other than "only dive within the green"

PS I dont reacall ANY setting on the VP for conservatism other than "only dive within the green"
Here is the manual if you can't locate your's: here

Go to page 32 and back it off to the Green zone if you want to forfeit the dive time. Safety is good, but this is excessive to me. I just try to leave the water in the green. Page 33 gives your the option to reduce the minutes of Dive Time Remaining, but I would use the method on page 32 I think, if anything.

Not to mention I think the VP is a discontinued model.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom