versa pro calibration?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RICHinNC:
Not to mention I think the VP is a discontinued model.
Replaced with Veo that has extra features.

The temp being off between the two I wouldn't worry too much, that can be affected by the difference in wetsuits you and your buddy wear!

The depth, more than a foot would bother me.

It is more liberal than UWATEC, Suunto RGBM, Mares RGBM etc., however it is by far the most proven recreational algorythm by real world use out there.(simple volume of units sold). Think PADI tables, I have heard lots of people bash them as not being as safe as NAUI, DCIEM, SSI or whatever, but at the end of the day shear volume of divers following them with sucess makes a statement. With a computer the whole idea is to increase your safe allowable bottom time. Seems lately some computer makers are taking their fear of being sued and using the most conservative algorythm possible and then selling that as a feature!

For me recreational diving I'll put my trust in an Oceanic, tech diving all go to gauge and I run tables.

Before you send them back for calibration, try soaking the bare modules in warm fresh water for a few hours. Depth errors are sometimes caused by nothing more complicated than salt crystals on the sensor, particularly in computers that are in consoles or boots. The saltwater trapped behind the boot ends up drying up against the sensor.

*Floater*:
i have 2 - though one is my girlfriend's. one vp is from scubatoys and the other i got from ebay used. the new one has a grey side button, uses yellow color after green on the front and reads oceanic on the side. the one from ebay has an orange side button and uses orange instead of yellow, plus it says versa pro on the side.

the problem i have is that the readings don't match. for temperature there is roughly a 2 degree celcius difference, and for depth it's about 1 meter difference (give or take depending on depth). i think the one from scubatoys is correct in depth, but wrong on temperature. i wore them both on one dive and while the scubatoys one was still on the last green, the ebay one was 10 minutes away from deco - i think the difference was due to the depth reading difference... by the time i surfaced they were only separated by one bubble though.

anyway, do they get recalibrated during service, and how much does service tend to cost for these? the one from scubatoys has warrenty, the ebay one doesn't.

The one from ST is a USA model and the one from Ebay is European... probably from Leisure Pro. I have one of each, as well. I looked into it a while back and found that there was something else that the grey market model wouldn't do... I just can't remember now. :11: Seems like I remember feeling a bit ripped off by LP.

Stephen Ash:
The one from ST is a USA model and the one from Ebay is European... probably from Leisure Pro. I have one of each, as well. I looked into it a while back and found that there was something else that the grey market model wouldn't do... I just can't remember now. :11: Seems like I remember feeling a bit ripped off by LP.
You sure about that Thought the different colored buttons were model updates.

You very well might be right, Don. I really can't remember what the deal was... it has been a long time. For the life of me I can't figure it out. Sitting here playing with them the menus seem pretty much the same. I don't use 'em much and when I do they are in guage so I don't use the majority of functions. It's probably not a big deal at all.

Stephen Ash:
You very well might be right, Don. I really can't remember what the deal was... it has been a long time. For the life of me I can't figure it out. Sitting here playing with them the menus seem pretty much the same. I don't use 'em much and when I do they are in guage so I don't use the majority of functions. It's probably not a big deal at all.
I think the newer model update includes a safety stop suggestion and countdown, which my older one does not.

If you buy one each from Scuba Toys, L-Pro, and E-Bay at the same time, the one from Scuba Toys will probaby be the newest version. The Versa Pro is not longer made, tho, replaced with the nifty VEO series, which includes different models. I've only played with one of them - neat.
cheeky-smiley-025.gif

Scuba_Canuck:
Hmmmm....this has me worried now. I just bought a new Versa Pro from scubatoys. I haven't even used it yet. Should I return it?
Nah - I like mine a lot, and yours is the newer, updated version. I still like my old Data Plus 2 Oceanic computer, just not as well as the Versa Pro.

Here is a link to the Oceanic computers being produced today. Or ask Larry about the differences between the VPro and the VEO. I see that his price has been reduced on the VPro. :thumb: Looks like the Veo 180 is comparable to the most recently produced VPros, but you saved money. I would not suggest the Veo 100 as it looks like it's Air only. The Veo 250 looks fancier, as well as more expensive.

Since you bought it from SToys, they'll give you a better price than they did me on the downloader. Neat tool for studying dives.
cheeky-smiley-019.gif

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom