Computer violation or lock mode

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Matsya

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am posting this based on the disccussions in another thread.

Why are most dive computers designed to go into lock/violation mode if any depth/time limitations are violated?

Is it because the computer cannot calculate limits for subsequent dives (since the previous dive/s recorded data are beyond the limits) or is it to prevent the diver from making further dives altogether?

My view is the former alternative. If the intention was to totally prevent the diver from making subsequent dives a gauge mode alternative (which gets activated on most computers when they go into violation/lock mode) would not have been available as a functionality.

Would like to hear opinions and clarification from manufacturers.

Matsya:
Why are most dive computers designed to go into lock/violation mode if any depth/time limitations are violated?
They don't. It depends which limits are violated and for how long. If the computer decides that you have probably screwed up your dive so badly that you're probably bent anyway and locks up...why would you want to continue diving anyway?

Gauge mode is possibly just to let everyone else know what you continued to do that killed you after they recover your body! :eyebrow:

LOL!!!

I'll offer an example from last week. I went on a dive with a max depth of 95ft for 94 minutes. Computer gives me a ceiling to deal with. My ascent is gradual. I do my safetly stop, and head up slowly. Computer is happy. After the debrief, I take off my fins to exit the water. My fin strap comes loose and my fin falls in 5ft of water. I reach down to get it with my right hand. My computer starts beeping. I am apparently "bent".

Computer manufactuers know that the average OW diver is not about to head off for a dive with their comp in guage mode. It doesn't tell them how deep they can go, or how long they can stay. A scary proposition for most divers. For divers who could care less about that info, they now have a fully functional bottom timer.

The computer models that most of these computers are using could take a best guess at what to do easily. Manufacturers simply don't implement it.

why?

cya, basically

you'll also note that gauge mode is not available for 48 hours (or so) in most models after a computer dive, and vice-versa.

H2Andy:
you'll also note that gauge mode is not available for 48 hours (or so) in most models after a computer dive, and vice-versa.

Yeah, you have to bend the stupid thing to make it function as a guage. The computer is telling you that it doesn't trust you to make a good decision.

In some, you can pull the battery and make them happy again. Not that I would recommend that. Not that you ever heard that here.

TheRedHead:
The computer is telling you that it doesn't trust you to make a good decision.
You've seen "2001:A Space Odyssey" right?

Kim:
You've seen "2001:A Space Odyssey" right?

Maybe I'll name my computer "Hal." :eyebrow:

TheRedHead:
Maybe I'll name my computer "Hal." :eyebrow:
Hal knows best! :crafty:

Back
Top Bottom