Downloading your dive computer unto a desktop or laptop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

formernuke

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
This is probably a foolish question but. I see a lot of people talking about downloading there dive computers onto there PC's and was wondering why, what does this give you exactly?

Thanks in advance

This is probably a foolish question but. I see a lot of people talking about downloading there dive computers onto there PC's and was wondering why, what does this give you exactly?

Thanks in advance

It becomes my dive log first of all.

Secondly, I like the graphic representation of the dive profile. This one shows depth, time, and temperature for the entire dive.

Attachments

• hydro20080406.jpg
    hydro20080406.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 43
It depends on the computer. Most provide a graph of the dive profile, temperature information, nitogrn loading graphs, etc.

Most also can be programmed from a computer much easier than through the computer itself.

If you input the size of the tank and its fill pressure, the program also calculates your SAC rate for you.

As for me, I'm too lazy to mess around with downloads. That's what written dive logs are for.

All the above plus it keeps a database of my gear, divebuddys, instructors, locations I dive, the conditions at the site. I can click on what gear I use for each dive or gear configuration that I preset. I can click to add buddy's or instructors to a dive once they have been added to the database. The data is searchable so you can do things like check how much weight you may need for a gear config in either salt or fresh water.

Just make sure you backup your PC. I lost my first 300+ dives a few years back when my dog knocked my laptop off the couch and the hard drive crashed. Ohh well...

And yes, ever since then I back mine up.

WOW! Everyone's covered most all of the reasons I like to download my dives.

• Graphic representations of each dive
  • Pictures for specific dives stored with that dive
  • My log as a database, backed up on computer & reprintable
  • Auto calculation of SAC and other statistics
  • Sorting dives by catagory -ie- cave, OW, instruction

The program I use is Scubase and it has worked well for me.

I had my house broken into in 2000 and amongst other things they took my scuba log book, they must have thought it was a CD wallet or something. Having this all on computer & backed up made it easy to recreate.

Be safe and have fun in the water! Bruce

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom