mares nemo Wide 6 month after

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Qasar

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all
I'm still considering me as a new diver with 40 dives and I'm BSAC sport diver.
When I started to dive I bought the mares nemo wide for its good visibility and I was very happy until these days.
As an SD I started some more deep dives and I discover the decco problem. My last dives were on a 27m wreck. My buddy who is also the DO of our club had two different computers. We started the ascent on our second dive with 1mn decco on my computer. As we planned we made two deep stops (15 and 10) then when we arrived at 3m I had 12mn decco and 3 mn safety. My buddy had no decco on his two computers. During the 15 mn stops we saw other divers coming up with no or small decco time.
So, this computer is far too much conservative, and penalises the diver. We can adjust the profile, but only for more conservative laws...
Here it's just a comparison with other divers computers that lead this statement. Security is paramount, but if you have always decco on a second dive when everybody else hasn't, at the end of the day no one wants to dive with you...

Can you not put it into gauge mode and just dive on tables.

I'm confused. Computers either give you a safety stop or mandatory deco stop not both.

The concern I've got with your scenario is whether you had planned to go into deco? If so you should have known before you got in the water how much time and at what depth you were going to do stops. Remember ST4 "Deeper Diving" it was all about planning dives with deco not just jumping in and hoping your computer will get you out of trouble. Most computers can't be used to plan deco dives, they just give you the no-stop limits.

You started the ascent from 27m with a 1min deco requirement and came up slowly (I presume?) and spent time at 15m its likely your computer was still ON-loading N2 for slow tissue types - hence your deco penalty. I’m not a fan of deep-stops for this reason. (Someone will be along soon to say I’m wrong, because it doesn’t fit the theory they use – that’s fine it’s their life.)

In addition to the time element had you calculated your gas requirements, not only for the dive but for the stops and surfaced with the required 1/3 reserve.

Just because your with the club's DO doesn't make it any safer than being with any other diver. Plan your own dives.

Kind regards

I'm confused. Computers either give you a safety stop or mandatory deco stop not both.

I've got a Nemo Wide and it dumps to a 3 min safety stop after clearing deco.

I also got the Nemo Wide for good visibility, but was disappointed; I found it had low contrast and was thus difficult to read, despite the large display. I also disliked the seven-segment display units (as opposed to a dot-matrix display), since they are poor at displaying letters (have to use strange mixes of upper and lower case letters to get them all out of the segments). I also found the overall layout of the display non-intuitive; some of the information was difficult to figure out. I now dive the Mares in BT mode as my backup and use a Petrel as my primary, which has none of those problems (at a substantially higher price).

Why don't you move this to the Mares forum, and see what they have to say; I've had a wide since they came out, and am very happy with it. Compared with my dive buddies computers, the wide reads pretty much the same.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom