Hollis DG03 voluntary recall? What about Aeris and Oceanic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

novasquid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i recently purchased then canceled an order for a Hollis DG03 through DiveGearExpress. i guess DGE still has me in their records as having purchased one. anyway, today DGE sent me this email regarding the DG03.

i'm wondering, wouldn't Aeris and Oceanic have to do a similar recall since their products (Aeris Elite T3 and Oceanic VT3) are essentially the exact same devices but with different covers? i currently own an Aeris Elite T3.

You are receiving this e-mail because our records indicate you have purchased one or more Hollis DG03 dive computers from Dive Gear Express. Hollis has received information that a diver experienced a problem with a DG03 dive computer when it was used with a high-pressure wireless transmitter. The small wireless transmitter screws in to the high-pressure (HP) port of a first stage regulator and can communicate with the Hollis DG03 dive computer to allow it to display the cylinder gas pressure (in PSI or BAR) without the use of the typical HP hose. This feature is often referred to as hoseless 'air integration' but since the dive computer is capable of handing a variety of breathing gases the term air integration is a misnomer.

The DG03 dive computer problem that has been described to Dive Gear Express is that under some circumstances when the DG03 is used with a high-pressure transmitter, the DG03 does not update the displayed cylinder gas pressure in a timely manner. This could cause the diver to believe they have more breathing gas in the cylinder than is actually present. Note this issue applies only to the Hollis DG03 dive computer (Hollis Part Number 204.2360) when used with a wireless transmitter, and we are told it does NOT apply to any other model dive computer or to the wireless transmitter.

Hollis is in the process of implementing a Voluntary Recall on the DG03 dive computer in cooperation with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission and we are told by Hollis that in approximately one week the Hollis Gear website will contain detailed information explaining action to be taken and procedures for upgrading the firmware in DG03 dive computer.

In the meantime, Hollis has not provided us with any guidance regarding your continued use of the DG03. We recommend you do NOT rely upon the DG03 to monitor scuba tank pressure, or to estimate remaining volume or duration of breathing gas supply. Relying upon such information from the DG03 before this issue has been addressed could result in your serious injury or death.

As always, Dive Gear Express stands behind all the products we sell and we will do our best to assist in answering your questions or addressing your concerns.

Sincerely,
Dive Gear Express

My guess is that maybe there was a batch of computers made for Hollis were bad, while the same ones made for other brands were fine.

I got the email also. I don't use AI so I'm not too worries except for resale.

I didn't bother to get a PC transfer cable either so that will be interesting. There is a Hollis dealer nearby but I didn't buy from them. :)

Interesting. Sounds like software issue. But so far Hollis has pulled DG03 from current instrument to "discontinued"... And I JUST got 2-3 weeks before this letter and have only used it for 1 day of diving. I got it without the transmitter but was planning to add one later... Let's see what will happen. Anybody has any updates?

A little over simplified but the hollis code is differentthan the oceanic, aeris computers the hollis use the Pelagic Z+ (BuhlmannZHL-16C data basis) algorithm were as the oceanic and aeris use the dsat. Andaeris is slightly different then the oceanic. aeris get the code after oceaniccomputers fixes all the bugs in the programming.

aeris get the code after oceaniccomputers fixes all the bugs in the programming.

that's good to know since i have the aeris elite t3. :) i hope they fixed all the bugs in the oceanic.

has anyone been able to update the firmware on the Hollis DG03 to version 1B?

i found this thread while doing a search for the aeris elite t3 firmware version:
http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ae...dive-computer-operating-software-upgrade.html

it looks like the aeris elite t3 went through a similar recall back in 2007, where it wasn't properly displaying a buddy's pressure. at the time the affected firmware version was 1A or 1B. my aeris elite t3 is currently 3A.

i wonder if the dg03 is now going through the same problem that affected the aeris in 2007?

Back
Top Bottom