Causes and prevention of scratches on computers and other equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Npallasi

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I noticed that computers and other equipment like compasses and gauges tend to get scratched. I don't own these equipment yet but would like to know the following:

1) What causes scratches on the equipment?

2) What are the various means of protecting the equipment and preventing scratches? (An obvious one would be using plastic screen protectors to cover the face of the computer. I've noticed people wearing their computer facing the inside of their wrist too.)

When I get my equipment, I hope to keep them in pristine readable condition, so I look forward to reading tips from the experts and oldbies here.

If you dive it it will get scratched. There is no way to avoid it. Everytime I see a new scratch on my computer I often wonder "now how did I do that". Screen guards etc can help minimize/prevent scratches to face but you'll still pick up scratches on the body. All my gear has scratches and I'm pretty careful. The sea is a harsh environment. Beach diving I've noticed accelerates equipment damage. After my new gear has aquired it's first scratch I stop worrying. I've come to like the "dived" look. Kinda like a badge of honour that says "I dive".

---------- Post added April 21st, 2014 at 01:51 AM ----------

Donning/doffing, dropping, getting too close to a rock, getting rolled in the surf...there are many ways...

Coral is really sharp. BCD's are made of high-denier (rough) ballistic nylon. Boats are made of aluminum/rough fiberglass. Boat ladders are sharp. If it's a console and not controlled well it gets dragged thru the sand/coral/muck occasionally. Wrecks are really sharp if you dive them.

No matter what you do it's likely going to get scratched. Small scratches disappear when it's wet. My wrist computer came with an extra plastic screen protector. I'm pretty careful with stuff but needed to replace mine after about 2-3 years. You can buy them for most computers. Any online dive supplier likely sells them. Usually called gauge protectors. I should probably buy a few more since my computer has been discontinued for several years.

I don't wear mine inside because I have a small 2 gauge console and retractor clipped off near where my hand naturally rests when I'm in a streamlined pose. So another potential scratch point.

I take good care of my gear but I don't worry about scratches on the face of gauges computers etc, as they disappear underwater and no matter what you do (other than stay at home) gear is going to get scratched diving. I know people who keep their tanks wrapped in that stupid plastic mesh to keep them pristine... it's like saying you won't drive your car on the road because the tires will get dirty.

If you want to keep your gear pristine leave it in the box and do not take it diving. If you take it diving it is going to get scratched scraped or dinged. Lens covers help protect the computer screen but they are considered disposable, always carry a spare. Like others have said diving is full of hazards and you can not protect your equipment completely from the hazards around you or the people around you, they can be worse than the things around you.

1) What causes scratches on the equipment?
Impact. Whether it's with a rock while you're digging a lobster out of a hole, with the metal hull of a wreck or with other dive gear while it's packaged up on your way to/from a site.

2) What are the various means of protecting the equipment and preventing scratches?
Never really considered it a problem. I guess you could bubble wrap it and ensure that you never come into contact with anything underwater... but what's the fun in that?

I worry more about stowing it properly on the boat so someone dosen't drop a tank or weight belt on it and do some real damage.

Bob
------------------------------
You only need two tools in life – WD40 and Duct Tape. If it doesn’t move and should, use the WD40. If it shouldn’t move and does, use the Duct Tape.

2 main causes
- rough conditions
- sloppy divers
rough conditions you can not always avoid.

Sloppy diving is within your control. way too often I have seen negligent divers abuse their gear.
- dumping it on the dock / deck
- tossing weights on top of it
- dragging it along the dock / deck
- dragging it along the reef
- forgetting to bungee their tank and having their setup do an endo onto the boat deck
- jamming themselves into the reef (way too many photographers beat the crap out of the reef with their fins and then wonder why their fins are all battered)

I once bougth a used camera here on SB and it looked the like it had been dragged home behind a truck. I can not fathom how the first owner bashed it up so badly.

I second the the previous posters...no matter how diligent you are about caring for your gear, if you use it...it will get scratched. However, screen protectors for your computer are a must, IMO.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom