Shearwater ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Predator isn't available new, is bigger and can only use SAFT batteries. Petrel is available new, is smaller and can use any AA plus the SAFT cells.

If money isn't the issue, why get a Predator instead of a Petrel?

Either way you can't go wrong, though...hard to say that about any other computer manufacturer.

Predators are no longer sold new.

Before making a decision, perhaps a direct comparison would be in order? I would have to pick a used Predator over a new Petrel simply because of the difference in screens. My old eyes love the predator display.

Either way, Shearwater is still your best choice for quality and customer service.

I thought the screen sizes were the same just larger case for the Predator. That said for the OP get the Petrel as you can get firmware for both tec and rec. The Predator is strictly tec.

I thought the screen sizes were the same just larger case for the Predator. That said for the OP get the Petrel as you can get firmware for both tec and rec. The Predator is strictly tec.
The screen size is the same, the difference is that the Predator has an OLED display which also works better for my old eyes than the Petrel although I must say I like the size of the Petrel. The OP has over 50 dives so I don't think there would be any issues using it for either rec and tech.

the 2 screens are the same size, the petrel is an LCD and the predator is an OLED i think and is subject to sun exposure damage

Haven't compared it directly to a Predator, but the Petrel screen is VERY bright and readable, really hard to imagine the OLED being much better than that.

The OLED isn't inherently better than the Petrel's LCD, but it is different. The contrast is a bit better with the OLED, but I find it a bit weird because the green of the text and the pitch black of the background looks a bit like there's some kind of dimensional rift occurring on my wrist. The Petrel is brighter and the text is probably a bit higher resolution, but it lacks the incredible contrast of the OLED screen. Then again, the LCD doesn't wash out in bright sunlight as easily.

I dive both and agree that predator contrast is better than Petrel. They are both fantastic machines thou

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom