Dive computers... preferences

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Toadie

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey all,

I'm considering getting a dive computer and I've read up quite a bit on them, so I thought I'd check here to see what people think. Any suggestions? I'm a newbie but I tend to approach things with a... shall we say zest? So, I'd like something that will grow with me and that I won't have to replace anytime soon. As of February I will be certified OW, Advanced, and Nitrox.

Thanks for the help

I just bought an Apeks Quantum (aka Tusa IQ-700, Dive-Rite NiTek Duo). Before I bought my computer, I downloaded user manuals for a bunch of computers including Suunto, Aeris, Oceanic, Dacor and Mares. I also dove with an Apeks, Suunto, Dacor and Mares. I ended up choosing the Apeks over the Suunto Vyper because I liked its features and user interface more.

Aeris Atmos 2 from Larry at Scuba Toys.Com! He will meat or beat any price with a warranty and the Atmos 2 will not be obsolete any time soon for you, assuming you will be doing recreational diving only. This reccomendation will be repeated many times here on this board for good reason. Considering both price and feature set, you will be VERY hard pressed to beat the Atmos Two from Scuba Toys.

Have fun and good luck wih your purchase. Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will have fun with it and that's what counts!!

The Aeris Atmos 2, or any other of the similar nitrox capable Pelagic Pressure System computers sold under other brand names is a good choice.

The N2 bargraph, aka "tissue loading bargraph" is a really nice supplement to the NDL time (or NDL bargraph) display that most other computers have. Most other computers give the diver a false sense of security by showing a NDL bargraph in the green as soon as you go shallow. The Pelagic bargraph properly continues to show a high loading until you actually have offgassed.

Toadie:
Hey all,

I'm considering getting a dive computer and I've read up quite a bit on them, so I thought I'd check here to see what people think. Any suggestions? I'm a newbie but I tend to approach things with a... shall we say zest? So, I'd like something that will grow with me and that I won't have to replace anytime soon. As of February I will be certified OW, Advanced, and Nitrox.

Thanks for the help

I'm in a similar situation, recently certified in OW and AOW, love the sport and plan to go a long way. I'm going to take my deep dive and nitrox specialty this year to open up a bit more dive locations. After a lot of research, I chose the Aeris Atmos 2 and just placed an order with Scuba Toys. My first order there, they seem like a good bunch of guys, very helpful. From what they told me, the Oceanic Versa Pro is the same computer, and that is what my dive instructor uses. Seems like the best choice out there for the money.

Good luck,
Mike

I am debating between the TUSA-IQ700 and the Aeris Atmos 2. So I guess the recommendations here aren't too far off. I liked the post about downloading the user manuals and reading them. That's good to learn about the computer. I guess I am more concerned about reliability too.

Let us know what you decide and I'll do the same.

Some people like wrist mount. Some like console (hose) mount. Your preference is up to you.

Suunto has some neat wrist mount ones the size of regular watches, if you want wrist mount. They aren't as "huge" as the other wrist mounts.

Regardless, get a Nitrox computer. You can still do air dives until you get your nitrox certification. It's just that if you ever go on a liveaboard trip, most of the diving is using Nitrox and you'll want it then.43

Find a brand and style you like.......BUT BE DANG SURE YOU CAN CHANGE THE BATTERIES YOURSELF !!! I guarantee you, the batteries will die at the worst possible time and if you have to ship it back to the manufacturer for a battery change.....I dont care what the extra features are....you are screw***********\

Best of luck
rich

I did the Atmos 2/Versa Pro vs Quantum/IQ-700/NiTek Duo/Archimedes comparison last summer and went with the Cressi Archimedes. Very intuitive interface and large display. Of all my scuba purchases, this is the only one that I didn't doubt later on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom