React Pro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jim2386

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Anyone have the React Pro by Genesis dive computer? What do you think of it? I'm looking at different computers to get (my matrix just crapped out on me) and want to see what people who actually own it think of it. Thanks a bunch

-Jim

It's a good solid basic computer, no frills. It's able to handle Nitrox although it's set to 1.6 which most agencies would call your contingency depth and you can't change it to other values like 1.4.

The temp isn't available after the dive without the download kit. Other than that I liked it well enough and kept it after buying my VT3, just in case...

I've got it and I'm happy with it, but if I had to do again, I'd buy a different computer.

Below I'll list some pro's and con's that I found about it. that might help you.

Here's what I like about it.
  • I like it's small design
  • the fact it has more than one button which makes it easier to use
  • it time and date stamps each dive, which is great for reviewing later so you can determine the dive location by the date/time in accordance to your max depth, time, etc.
  • easy to use.
  • user changeable batteries and uses off-the-shelf (cheap) batteries you can buy at Walmart.
  • Has a 3 minute safety stop countdown at 20ft. This is a nice feature that is on a lot of computers but not all.
  • The above 3 min safety stop doesn't reset if you go way above or below the 20' mark during your safety stop. (it does on some computers).
  • You can set the % O2 to be the same for every dive within a period of when the computer is powered on. This is a nice feature on a liveaboard trip where your fills are typically all the same exact F02 Percentage from a banked supply all week long. This keeps you from forgetting to reset it and having it set 50% for PO2 Calcuations and 21% for Nitrogen loading calculations on a follow up dive, reducing your NDL.
  • It's a good computer for the money.
  • Hockey Puck design will fit in most traditional consoles or wrist mounts.

What I don't like about it:
  • Not all the dive details are on one screen. You have to push the button once to get max depth and a second time to get wate temp. On my other computer all dive details are on one screen during the dive and I can check them all at a quick glance w/o having to push buttons.
  • Temp sensor is extremely slow to change. You can be in 10 to 20 degree colder water under the thermocline for 10 or 15 minutes before it catches up.
  • Temp is not available after the dive unless you use the download kit
  • it only does one gas. A second gas would be nice but not always a requirement.
  • You can't set Po2. It's preset to 1.6 (and not 1.4)
  • You can't change the conversitiveness of any of the values.

Now this doesn't mean you shouldn't buy this computer. If it's a good deal and works for what you want, then get it.

If I had to buy a different computer today that was similar but had all the features wanted above on the 2nd list, I'd prob look at the Tusa IQ-700. It runs about $379 bucks and does most of all the above. (BTW... Dive Rite makes the same computer as the IQ-700 with a different logo on it).

If I had to buy another computer, I'd keep it as a backup and wouldn't sell it or anything. So it's still pretty decent.

BTW... you can download the users manual off Genesis' website to review before you buy and see how you like the features and screens.

Hope all that helps some.

-Mike

What Mike_S said is very true in all aspects. He pretty well summed it up. I bought mine seperately as a puck & have set it up to attach it to my SPG hose or as a watch- like device. I like to have this option. I also have kept all my analog gauges so that I can keep diving even if the computer goes out. I just have to use the computer in my head. Overall a decent basic computer.

Mike gave a good review. The clincher is the neat little progressive nitrogen/oxygen graph. That's all the average diver needs. I like the 1.6 feature and am thankful for it. The 1.4 limit is just more restrictive nonsense like the 20 feet "safety stop". My React computer doesn't have that stop and it is disturbing to hear that it is apparently featured on newer Reacts. If I decide on a stop outside of deco, it's my call, not that of some gadget that is trying to keep up with the latest scare tactics from the instructor/cert/insurance/legal community.

Thanks for the review. Sounds pretty promising as I am just doing recreational diving at "shallower" depths. I just took a nitrox class so I wanted ot make sure to have it in case I need it but it sounds like it's got everything i'd need. One thing...does it have a backlight?

The temperature thing doesnt' bother me because my pressure guage in my boot has a mechanical temp gauge. Basically if it's cold, that's all I need to know....and if it's warm...it's warm:).

What info can you pull off the dive computer with your main computer? Dive profiles? Max depth? Temp? I think dive profiles might be kinda cool to see.

Thanks again

mike_s:
I've got it and I'm happy with it, but if I had to do again, I'd buy a different computer.

Below I'll list some pro's and con's that I found about it. that might help you.

Here's what I like about it.
  • I like it's small design
  • the fact it has more than one button which makes it easier to use
  • it time and date stamps each dive, which is great for reviewing later so you can determine the dive location by the date/time in accordance to your max depth, time, etc.
  • easy to use.
  • user changeable batteries and uses off-the-shelf (cheap) batteries you can buy at Walmart.
  • Has a 3 minute safety stop countdown at 20ft. This is a nice feature that is on a lot of computers but not all.
  • The above 3 min safety stop doesn't reset if you go way above or below the 20' mark during your safety stop. (it does on some computers).
  • You can set the % O2 to be the same for every dive within a period of when the computer is powered on. This is a nice feature on a liveaboard trip where your fills are typically all the same exact F02 Percentage from a banked supply all week long. This keeps you from forgetting to reset it and having it set 50% for PO2 Calcuations and 21% for Nitrogen loading calculations on a follow up dive, reducing your NDL.
  • It's a good computer for the money.
  • Hockey Puck design will fit in most traditional consoles or wrist mounts.

What I don't like about it:
  • Not all the dive details are on one screen. You have to push the button once to get max depth and a second time to get wate temp. On my other computer all dive details are on one screen during the dive and I can check them all at a quick glance w/o having to push buttons.
  • Temp sensor is extremely slow to change. You can be in 10 to 20 degree colder water under the thermocline for 10 or 15 minutes before it catches up.
  • Temp is not available after the dive unless you use the download kit
  • it only does one gas. A second gas would be nice but not always a requirement.
  • You can't set Po2. It's preset to 1.6 (and not 1.4)
  • You can't change the conversitiveness of any of the values.

Now this doesn't mean you shouldn't buy this computer. If it's a good deal and works for what you want, then get it.

If I had to buy a different computer today that was similar but had all the features wanted above on the 2nd list, I'd prob look at the Tusa IQ-700. It runs about $379 bucks and does most of all the above. (BTW... Dive Rite makes the same computer as the IQ-700 with a different logo on it).

If I had to buy another computer, I'd keep it as a backup and wouldn't sell it or anything. So it's still pretty decent.

BTW... you can download the users manual off Genesis' website to review before you buy and see how you like the features and screens.

Hope all that helps some.

-Mike

It seems to me that the things I didn't like about it are shared by the others as well. The download will give you pretty much all the dive info you can see while underwater.

My temp sensor by the way was not that slow to react. I'd guess it has to do with how you have the puck mounted more than anything else. It's not fast and does take a couple minutes to react but it does so about as fast as any other computer I've seen. Mine was mounted on my wrist, not in a console.

I guess the slow reaction time on my temperature sensor is due to how it's mounted. It's mounted in the rubber housing in a gauge console and is a VERY TIGHT fit. I think if it was in a wrist mount which got more "movement" that it would be quicker, but still not real fast. This is only a minor inconvience as you like to know what the bottom temp is at the quarry because others ask.

It does have a backlight feature, though I've used it rarely. I think you hold the button for 3 to 5 seconds maybe. (it should be in the users manual)

Overall it's a good computer and should be a good one for you to take the class with.

I have one, my first computer. Simple, but I needed more and bought a Wisdom. Still have the React Pro, too. :D

mike_s:
I guess the slow reaction time on my temperature sensor is due to how it's mounted. It's mounted in the rubber housing in a gauge console and is a VERY TIGHT fit. I think if it was in a wrist mount which got more "movement" that it would be quicker, but still not real fast. This is only a minor inconvience as you like to know what the bottom temp is at the quarry because others ask.

It does have a backlight feature, though I've used it rarely. I think you hold the button for 3 to 5 seconds maybe. (it should be in the users manual)

Overall it's a good computer and should be a good one for you to take the class with.

The wrist mount makes no difference as to the speed it will measure temperature. It's still slow. A lot of times when I do deep dives in the quarries, it will still be reading 10 or more degrees higher than the actual water temp. The thermometer is just VERY slow to adjust.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom