Promaster Hyper Aqualand by Citizen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
The Diving Mecca of Dorthy & Toto....Kansas
Hello!

I know that the Promaster Hyper Aqualand by Citizen is not a computer but rather a watch but there wasn't an area to ask questions about watches so I thought I would start here.

My husband wants this watch for his birthday. I have asked my local dive shop to order it in so I can look at it. They don't normally carry Citizen. I wanted to know if anyone out there owns/uses one and what they like and dislike. Is there another model that you would recommend that does many of the same things.

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide!

:bunny: KC_Scubabunny

You didn't mention the price the LDS quoted you, but on an item like that, you might want to check with online shops like Leisure Pro or Diver's Direct. They generally have better prices on them, and if it breaks, you are more than likely going to have to send it back to the manufacturer anyways. Since it's not a computer, you should not rely soley on it. Therefore, I would not think it's as crucial that you get it at your LDS. I guess you could check it yourself with your primary computer or guages for accuracy. I don't know if they can run a pressure test on them like they do dive computers or not. If they can, you may be able to talk the LDS where you bought the rest of your gear into doing this for you when they service the rest of your equipment.

KC-Scubabunny,

If your husband wants a certain watch, probably logic will not change his mind! If everything is really up to date in Kansas City (I think I will rent "Oklahoma" this weekend; it's been too long!), you should be able to find a jeweler's shop or department store that carries Citizens. Basically, a dive watch that is NOT A COMPUTER needs three things:

(1) something to keep track of time

(2) a macho rotating bezel

(3) to be waterproof to some ungodly depth--300-400 feet

Everything else is styling. So, if your husband's fancy is tickled by the Citizen Wizbang, that is likely the only choice of watch you have...

I guess....

Joewr

The Hyper Aqualand is a great diving tool. It has a very accurate depth gauge, bottom timer and thermometer as well as a high quality watch built it. It stores 10 dives or so, and is downloadable to a computer.
I personally prefer the Aqualand Duplex to the Hyper (being old and set in my ways about sweep second hands) but I also have a Hyper and use it as a backup dive data collector for download.
Best deal I have found is at
http://www.gemday.com/watches/promaster.shtml
Good luck.
Rick

The Hyper Aqualand is an excellent watch. I also prefer the duplex. The main thing is that guys need cool looking Dive Watches. It's just part of the stuff guys need to add to our pile of dive stuff. BTW, Clive Cussler likes the Citizen with the orange face.

Seriously, the additional functionality included with the hyper or duplex is very helpful. Citizen has a reputation for providing excellent customer service. The watches tend to be large so consider the size of the person who is wearing it.

I priced the Aqualand (not the one with the PC interface, but the one just under it with the hands and the digital depth meter... the name escapes me at the moment) at a jewelry store in the mall and the prices were high. The salesman said he could make me a deal for about $475.00. I can get it from Divers Direct for about $375.00. I believe it's even cheaper from Leisure Pro or Dive Inn, but I believe Dive Inn's is in metric...check me on that though... and Daylight is right they're " Stylin' "

I would check online. This is one of those things you can buy online without fear of warranty hassles if you needed coverage. Princeton Watches has about the cheapest prices on Citizens and Suunto's I've seen. Below is the link to the one you are reffering to. They are selling it for 279.00. They are authorized Citizen Dealers and your watch will include the 5 year Citizen US Warranty.

http://www.princetonwatches.com/shop/MA9024-24E.asp

Thanks everyone so much for your feedback.

I should have mentioned the LDS price. They told me $306 which I thought was pretty competitive. Everything I saw on-line would be in the $280 area and I would have to pay shipping. Divers Direct was $309 and shipping was extra. We really like the guy that owns our LDS and try to support him when possible. He has given us some good deals on other stuff and let us try before we buy.

I do understand the limitations of the watch not being a dive computer. This is more of a secondary backup device and a good way to time student skills and such when doing pool training.

BTW Joewr - We are trying to keep everything up to date in KC. We are voting on Light Rail today. We are currently sorely behind in mass transit but otherwise a great place to live.

Again thanks to everyone who responded. Your posts were helpful.

:bunny:

Now that I think about it ...I guess I was pricing up the titanium model. It's a little more expensive, but it's a snazzy bugger! Kauai diver, that is a really good price on that watch! I wonder if they have the titanium model I was looking at...and KC Scubabunny, that too is a pretty good price. Plus, you also earn brownie points for buying it at the LDS. Your husband will dig it!..Now, if maybe you could talk my wife into getting me one...

The battery will need to be replaced eventually. So with that in mind I would make my purchase from a local jewelry store that is an authorized Citizen retailer. Just not anybody can change this battery especially your LDS.
IMHO, If he asks for a certain watch, get him that certain watch. Down the road you will appreciate your decision. Also remind him of the jewlery store you bought it at.:devilish: Ulterior motive!

ID

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom