See, Together you can make a difference

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King_Neptune

Founder
Reaction score

Do you all remember this link? It was where someone thought they could spam all of us here...

Well, I got somewhere around 100 emails from many of you saying that you sent them an email or complained to any of the various emails listed there about their spamming.

Have any of you tried looking at their site lately?

The link hasn't even been working at all this morning but yesterday they closed everything down and it said "Closed Temporarily" ... This just goes to show you that as a group we all can make positive changes within the Industry.

And we didn't even need any RECOUNTS ... hehe

=-)

King, I seemed to have missed that thread altogether the first go around, but I must say that was a most admirable job at handling the issue! When they are revealed from under all their disguises the roof tends to cave in rather quickly. :)

Well, maybe there are watching but it went from "Closed" to "Coming Soon" ...

Maybe they are hoping everyone will forget and they can start fresh...

Which is fine by me ... Minus the spam that is ...

=-)

Dear all,

I'm new to all of this since it origionally happened, however, having just read the original thread, I remember 3rd quarter or so last year there was an article in the PADI UJ promoting spamming. Will have to go and dig it out and see what exactly it said.

Anyone else remember this article? Bit worying when agencies are encouraging spamming.

Jon T

Interesting... are you referring to the "Look Both Ways in Online Traffic" article in the 3rd quarter 2000 edition?

Mario,

No, The article 'to spam or not to spam' p12 4th quarter last year.

It didn't say much, but it did bring the idea of bulk e-mailing to the fore. One of the bits it did say was to go for opt-in mailing, rather than real spam.

Interestingly, the last sentence is 'And finally, be sure to check your ISP to see if it allows bulk e-mailing. Some countries have legislation about bulk e-mails, so review local laws before sending your broadcast'

Does anybody here know of laws about opt in mailings? -I thought that there were only laws against unsolicited SPAM mail.

makes you think.

Jon T

Yes,

There are only laws against unsolicited SPAM mail. If it is true and legit email then you are fine...

But they are hard to enforce ... and next to impossible if the spammers know what they are doing ...

I don't think I should say any names but more than one of the other semi-well known scuba sites out there have emailed asking if we would sell our list. HA!

All too often what ends up happening is the worst violations of spam are done by the TOP of the Business food chain ... but it seems as if people feel that they are big enough that they can get away with it ... and over and over again they do!

=-)

Kyleterry,

SPAM is unsolicited, junk email that is used by a lot of businesses to advertise to Internet users.

It's the crap that you get in your email box that you didn't ask for, have no use for and have no idea where it came from.

Cheers,

Here is one for ya all ....

I was speaking to one of the Manufacturers recently and a [red]CERTAIN[/red] website / magazine that regularly spams (gee, can you guess who?) had spammed this Manufacturer with the same one I have seen a FEW dozen times ...

"Our records show you are a member of the diving community... blah blah blah ... and we and SSI ... yada yada yada" ...

DOH!! Noooo, Ya Think???

Now what REALLY bothers me is that SSI allowed their name to be associated with this! The spam senders I am not shocked about, they think they are untouchable anyway. But it is a pure shame that SSI thinks this is ok too.

Actually, I wonder if they even know...

=-)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom