Good Restaurants & Prices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tuckster

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm sure this has been asked before but ..... Trying to decide between the FA dive resort & a smaller hotel in town. It doesn't look like there will be alot of savings as the AI dive package @ FA is really pretty cheap but we want to 'dine around' & it sounds like there are alot of choices intown. The trade-off is a nice beach with on-site dive shop (equipment storage etc.) vs staying in town & enjoying the many good eateries. I could do both but taking a cab back & forth sounds like a drag. I guess I'm hoping I will save money by staying intown so how about a little help with prices. We would be looking to have dinner at some of the nicer places. Please keep in mind that my wife is only moderately fond of Mexican food & will undoubtly be looking for the best seafood !!!!!
Thanks for any help & comments

Tuckster:
I'm sure this has been asked before but ..... Trying to decide between the FA dive resort & a smaller hotel in town. It doesn't look like there will be alot of savings as the AI dive package @ FA is really pretty cheap but we want to 'dine around' & it sounds like there are alot of choices intown. The trade-off is a nice beach with on-site dive shop (equipment storage etc.) vs staying in town & enjoying the many good eateries. I could do both but taking a cab back & forth sounds like a drag. I guess I'm hoping I will save money by staying intown so how about a little help with prices. We would be looking to have dinner at some of the nicer places. Please keep in mind that my wife is only moderately fond of Mexican food & will undoubtly be looking for the best seafood !!!!!
Thanks for any help & comments

Check out Caribe Blu http://www.caribeblu.net/

Earlier this year, my wife and I stayed at FA and did not have the AI plan. Every night, we went downtown to eat dinner. It was certainly no trouble to do so. Here is a link to my trip report. I hope it helps, and I hope you enjoy your trip.

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=86797

Michael

taking cabs back and forth to town isn't really that big of a hassle, after all, what's a trip to Mexico with out a mexican cab ride or two. If you like FA and the facilities stay there and don't go AI, use them for breakfast so you can make the dive boat and also for a light luch or go just up the street to Playa Corona for lunch a couple of days. save your appetite for dinner. here's some places that are not-Mexican food that are really good:

Rock'n'Java = any meal, it's all good especally the desserts!!!!! Lisa just has a way with cakes and pies that are too much to pass up.

Prima Pasta = Italian, good seafood dishes, blackend grouper and seafood lasagna are
2 top choices.

Guito's = also Italian, can't go wrong with anything here, It's a great place for lunch
also, really good wood oven pizza and salads with a pitcher of homemade sangria!! good stuff Maynard!!

The French Quarter = Oh my! maybe our favorite, the owner is from Louisiana and
Mike will make you feel right at home, excellent New Orleans fare, I had wahoo in a lemmon butter sauce the last time i was there and it just melted in my mouth. They also have hushpuppies!! I love hushpuppies, he has to import his own corn meal for them because mexican corn meal is too finely ground to make them. It's ironic that you have to import corn meal into a country that invented it. This is another place with great desserts!!!! 'island paradise' will blow you away!

just a short list of non-mexican places see the 2 restaurant post above for more suggestions.

I stayed at FA with the AI plan and also went into town for some dinners. FA is a great location for divers. Any dive op will pick you up and several of them will rinse and store your gear overnight. You don't have to use Dive House. The AI plan was well worth it just for breakfast, water, drinks, and a few lunches or late afternoon snacks. Miramar, the "reservation" restaurant is actually pretty good. You'll get 1 dinner for 4nts and 2 with 7nts. And we always found something we liked on the dinner buffet for the other nights we ate at the resort. They will grill fresh fish, beef, chicken and pork while you wait if you don't want what's already waiting on the platters.

The only thing I didn't like at the hotel was the late afternoon bingo and pool games when I wanted to relax on a lounge chair or on my balcony.

Gordon has the right idea,best of both worlds.

I've also stayed in town at Villas Las Anclas,same owners as Caribe Blu and Blue angel scuba,you could stay there on a dive package,store gear and dive with Blue Angel,use Caribe Blu pool and beach facilities,stay,shop and eat in town.

As far as a quiet nicer room I like Villas las Anclas better than Caribe Blu,it's a little two floor Villa with a Kitchenette.Caribe Blu is nice for beach location.

I stayed at FA with the AI option in May. The AI (which with my package was also quite inexpensive) is worth if for the breakfast before diving and the bottled water. Even if you only eat breakfast and an occasional lunch, it is the way to go.

Rich Hagelin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom