Any more info on Dive with Martin? Did his boats survive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brookenyc

New
Reaction score
I had previously heard that Martin and crew all made it through the storm safely, but I haven't been able to find anything out about their boats.

brookenyc:
I had previously heard that Martin and crew all made it through the storm safely, but I haven't been able to find anything out about their boats.

Our LDS owner has been in contact with Martin and sent us regular updates. These are excerpts from some of those messages. The date is the date the email was sent out.....Willie

10-24-2005
-------------
I received a phone message from Martin (Dive With Martin) at the shop at around 7:00 AM this morning. He reports that his family, his staff and their families all made it safely through the disasterous day and 1/2 that Wilma hung over Cozumel, Cancun, and Playa Del Carmen. That's the good news...the rest is not.

In his all too brief message, he said that both the Carnival Pier (Puerta Maya), and the International Pier where Royal Carribean docks is GONE! His dive shop at the end of the International Pier is also GONE! Fortunately, he did remove all his equipment from the shop before Wilma hit. He did not indicate the status of his dive boats. He said that he would try to call me later today.

10-25-2005
-------------
Spoke with Martin yesterday about 1:30. The island has suffered a true catastrophe! Martin was truly fortunate. All 6 of his boats survived the storm. He also removed all his dive equipment and tanks from his shop before Wilma hit. Many shops along the waterfront did not.

Martin had*3 boats tied up in the Caletta by the El Presidente. Many boats*were damaged...not a scratch on his. Other boats came through also. However, many of the larger operators with the bigger boats had them anchored at the northern Harbour Master Marina. Most were either destroyed or sunk.

Again, Martin took his tanks and equipment to his house. He told me that at the Caletta where his boats were tied up, all his empty tanks on shore were still standing upright...not even one tipped over! He also had 500 liters of gasoline stored there...not a drop spilled.

10-31-2005
-------------
Spoke with Martin Saturday AM.

As many of you know, Martin has always been a big supporter of his neighbors, community, and church. Quite frankly, Martin sounded alittle "down". The destruction Wilma caused affected everyone on the island. Martin is concerned for everyone. Get this...he told me he took all his old BCDs and gave them out to some Divemasters and Instructors of his competitors who were wiped out. Felt that he was so fortunate, he had to give to those who weren't!

That's great news about Martin! It has been so difficult to see the terrible devastation on the island. When do they hope to be up and running again? I know they don't have a shop, but maybe they'll be setting up somewhere else. How are they financially? Are Martin's employees covered in the cozumel relief site donations?

Thanks for the information. It's always nice to hear some good news along with all the bad that we're dealing with.

Willie,

Thanks for the report, I didn't want to add to Martin's e-mial load and have been waiting to hear some offical word. He's a wonderful person and does so much for the less fortunate, it's nice to see that he was paid back by having his boats spared. The report of the scuba tanks is unbelieveable!!!

God's speed to him, his crew and everyone down there in getting back to work and to some normalcy.

brookenyc:
When do they hope to be up and running again? I know they don't have a shop, but maybe they'll be setting up somewhere else. How are they financially?
I dont know anymore except that they have had divers in the water surveying damage and trying to help get the ferry piers functional. Dont know when they expect to resume commercial operations. I will post more as it is relayed to me. I dont contact anyone down there personally, just get relayed info.

Willie

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom