Cozumel question??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

iamsharkbait

Registered
Reaction score
My wife and I are planning on getting married in late April and we were considering having the ceremony in Cozumel because the majority of the guests are divers. I am having a difficult time discerning wether it will be possible to do this because of the state of the island due to the hurricane. Any recommendations on places to stay that will be a very short cab ride or even better a walk to town. Our budgets are very moderate. As for the ceremony, has anyone seen the conditions of the beaches that cater to these events. Sorry I cant remember the names of the beaches, but I do believe they are south and east. I know Playa and the resort towns south would possibly be a safer option, but we feel anything we can do to help Cozumel get back on track would be helpful. Keep in mind this will be our big day. Thank you for your insight.

It was my first time there a couple weeks ago, so take this for what it's worth.

A lot of the beaches seemed to be...gone. (I did not go to the east side of the island, so I'm talking in and south of town) I heard they are planning on barging in some sand from the mainland to build new ones, and I think that's how a lot of beaches were made in the first place, but I don't know the timeframe. Anyway, I didn't see much in the way of big white-sand beaches.

A lot of the buildings in town and south of town still looked pretty trashed. Quite a lot seemed very functional again, but you didn't have to look far to see hurricane wreckage. A lot of places were still closed, but quickly working toward recovery.

And south of town, where you can see the jungle, basically all of the foliage is gone, though it's starting to come back. It does give it a fairly blasted look compared to the pictures I have seen from before. And there aren't a lot of Palms along the coast or at the beaches. They got pretty beat up by the 150+ mph winds I think.

I got married in Hawaii, and I know that one of the things my wife and I loved about doing that was the tropical aesthetic of the place if you know what I mean. Green, lush, sunny, warm, coconut palms swaying in the breeze...tropical. I know if we had gotten married on Kauai 2 months after Hurricane Iniki, that aesthetic would not have been the same and it may not have been as enjoyable from that point of view.

The diving is great right now on Coz, and for a dive vacation, if that's primarily what you're after, it's an awesome time to go. Prices are low. Services were all functional. The diving is awesome. But since it's your big day, you may to some degree want to factor in the fact that Cozumel still shows definite signs of getting hit by a big and a HUGE hurricane this summer. However much that matters to you.

Congratulations on your wedding! :)

I just posted some beach wedding pictures a few days ago.

The beach is definitley coming back and things are really shaping up...by April it will be even more beautiful!

Click here and read this thread http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=126360

Also, contact Stephanie at Cozumel Wedding Planner www.cozumelweddinplanner.com

Here are those pictures again...but still alot of good info in the thread above as well as more pictures. These pictures were taken within the last month and week at Mr. Sancho's (south byt he Allegro) Cozumel Wedding Planner has exclusive use of this very private beachside wedding garden. She also sets up ceremonies right on the beach if you want. Her website has alot f different pictures of her set-ups.

dec273.jpg

floral_after_small2.jpg

floral_after_small.jpg

Congrats on your upcoming wedding!

I was at Mr. Sancho"s Jan 12 and the wedding garden was in good shape. You will have no problems there. Remember that anywhere you go there is no guarantee on the weather so Cozumel is as good as any other place.

Hotel on a tight budget close to town-- Barracuda has done major upgrades and the new pool should be open by then. It's on the water but it's a sea wall with easy access. Walk to the main area of town. $75-90 a night no frills.

Casa Mexicana in town on the main road small pool (more like a hot tub for 15) very nice buffet breakfast included. No beach $115-150.

Suites Bahia nice big rooms not pool, or beach, is right on the main road at 3sur in town. $65-100

You may want to rent a house with a pool. There are many 4 and 5 bedroom homes for rent and the cost per person is less than a hotel. You said you are marring your wife so I'm guessing privacy is not a big thing.

Scuba Club and Hotel Cozumel are AI about a 10min walk to town. Scuba Club is on the water no beach just jump in from the wall. You have to dive with them to stay there. No other operator allowed to use their pier.

Hotel Cozumel has largest pool on the island has a tunnel to their beach (very small) $150 and up a night.

There are many budget hotels (very basic) in and around the main Plaza for $40 a night.

Villa Las Achlas is on 5th between 3 and 5sur has 8 units that are like condos, surrounding a small garden. Very nice and you have a kitchen, and a living room. No pool but only a minute to the Plaza. $75-90 a night. Owned by same people as Caribe Blu hotel.

Caribe Blu is farther south $5 cab ride to town or a 2 mile walk. On the water, pool, dive shop, rest for breakfast and lunch. $65-80 a night. Not a big resort just a 4 story small hotel about 20 rooms all ocean view and they wasted no time rebuilding. They replaced all the beds and furniture.

Hope this helps,

Lou

Thank you all for your time and insight. This helps with ideas for the wedding. Any other ideas and information on places to stay would be helpful. Preferable with a little beach. (in-laws) Thank you again. Pictures look great Christi. Thanks fro the info Lou and Humu.

loudives:
{...}

Caribe Blu is farther south $5 cab ride to town or a 2 mile walk. On the water, pool, dive shop, rest for breakfast and lunch. $65-80 a night. Not a big resort just a 4 story small hotel about 20 rooms all ocean view and they wasted no time rebuilding. They replaced all the beds and furniture.

Hope this helps,

Lou

One note about Caribe Blu - as far as the hotel building itself is concerned, no rebuilding was necessary, although the buildings on both sides of it were devastated. This is a tribute to the building methods employed by Javier Segura, the retired engineer who built the place and who still lives across the street. He used stone and high density concrete to build the place, and it stands as one of a very few buildings on Cozumel between the road and the water which took no structural damage from Wilma. Way to go, Javier!

Back
Top Bottom