Reef Club Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scuber

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! We have a diving trip planned for April 15th, 2006, staying at the Reef Club. Just wondering if anyone out there has heard any news or if you were there and heard any rumors that it really is opening March 31st. Any info would be great!! We are looking forward to our trip SO much-it's been a long winter.....

Thanks!

We are booked for the week of April 1-8 at the Reef Club with a party of six. We are members of the newly named Regency Club at Reef Resort and got an email a couple of weeks ago indicating that they will be in good shape for the March 31 reopening.

Work will be continuing with new services being added throughout the summer, but it sounds like they are going to be ready to go on 3/31.

Since you aren't going until 4/15, I'll try to remember to post a trip report when we get back.

This is the make-up week from our October '05 trip that was scheduled for the week Wilma hit them. Consequently, if we have rooms and a little food and some liquid refreshment, we'll be fine.

I actually had a nice little conversation with the GM of the Reef CLub last weekend at a social gathering.

They are on target for the reopening, but won't have the entire hotel open until May. For some reason, 100 rooms sticks in my mind right now as the initial opening number...and those are completely booked for April at this point.

They have made alot of upgrades and the hotel actually looks great from the water. Very clean and pleasant to look at...everything is white now!

Unlike previously, they will now be charging for children. Their goal is to make the resort more adult oriented and a bit more exclusive. Other AI properties still offer the "kids stay free" deal, so they will be much more attractive to families.

I'll be anxious to read the reports once they are open again...but it suresounds like they have some good goals and really plan to make it much better than before!

Sadly, we heard from our travel agent today. The Reef Club will not be opening until May and they have rebooked us at the Allegro, which I think is next door. I'm not sure if they just over-booked and now have to re-locate some people because they are not finished with the work or what. We'll check it out while we're there. However, if you are going in April we'd still love to see the reports before we take off! We're still excited!!!
Thanks for the input!!

Same boat amigo. We are kinda looking for other possible hotel alternatives also. We committed premium $$ for reef club suite. So we would kinda like to be in a place comparable. Searching ... anyone have more suggestions...

Our travel agent rebooked us at the Allegro, which is fine with us. We stayed in the suites at Reef Club two years ago and they were beautiful! We have heard the Allegro looks great, however, I have a friend who stayed at the Grand, and reported it was gorgeous. What are your travel dates?

Scuber,
I have stayed at all three in the past few years. I stay at the all inclusives when my non-diving wife and daughter tag along. My least favorite was the Reef Club. The facilities were fine, but I found the service poor and the food worse (my family refused to eat there after a few meals). Occidental Grand and Iberostar were their favorites. Allegro is owned by the same company as Occidental Grand. The Iberostar has a few very nice suites on the beach.

dnhill

We just returned from a week at the Reef Regency Vacation Club at the Reef Club. They re-opened portions of the resort on Friday, March 31, and we arrived on Saturday, April 1.

Frankly, they were probably a week early, but they caught up quickly. Our three adjoining rooms were newly furnished and in good shape. They were each missing coffee makers, microwaves, and locks for the safes. However, after my complaint, new microwaves, coffee makers, and locks quickly appeared.

Work is moving ahead rapidly on the hotel rooms and two of the three pools are opened. The large building that previously housed the buffets is nearing completion and looks very good.

The beach area is looking good with a number of new tiki huts and beach chairs.

Sand Dollar Sports, the on site dive operator, is operating three boats from there although the pier is in sad shape. Roughly the first 25 feet remain, but workers are busy rebuilding the rest.

Bottom line...we dove six days and had a great week. We're going back in October for another week.

The entire hotel is projected for opening by June 1.

Thanks for the report! We are leaving Sat. and were re-booked next door at the Allegro. I hope we can walk over and check out the Reef Club. Glad to hear things are getting back together there, as I'm sure we will return once they are finished. We loved the Jr. Suites! Thanks again and we're glad you had a great trip.

Back
Top Bottom