Any good shallow dive site recomentations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thresa

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I will visiting Cozumel in May and have only completed my open water certification, so I don't plan to dive below 60 feet. I was hoping to get some recomendations on which shallow/novice reefs are still in good shape since Wilma.

Also is there a very good chance of seeing wild dolphins in any of these locations while diving? I don't want to visit any that are in captivity.

Paradise Reef...but just ask your boat op.

You may find yourself suprised, though...there isn't that much that's more difficult going deeper, and a lot of the best of Coz out on the wall is deeper than 60 feet. My wife got certified there in January, and was at 100 feet on the wall within a few dives.

Usually we did the first dive to a max of about 80 and the second to about 60.

I don't think they have the captive dolphins any more after Wilma (and good for you to boycott them). It's kinda like winning the lottery to get to swim with wild ones in Coz I hear...most places really.

Have fun! :)

Gregg

From my log book:
Paradise Reef(44 feet), Las Palmas(56 feet), Paso de Cedral(54 feet), Tormentos(59 feet), Yucab(56 feet), Chankanaab(48 feet), Chankanaab Bolones(59 feet), Columbia shallows, and quite a few others are not on a wall, so you don't risk going too deep.

Dive Ops who do 2 morning dives, and then 2 afternoon dives will usually do the shallower dives in the afternoon.
Be honest and upfront about your concerns, and the dive op will be better able to help you.

As you do a few dives during the week and are comfortable with your buoyancy control, you can do Palancar Gardens(75 feet), Santa Rosa(77 feet), San Francisco(62 feet)

Thresa:
I will visiting Cozumel in May and have only completed my open water certification, so I don't plan to dive below 60 feet. I was hoping to get some recomendations on which shallow/novice reefs are still in good shape since Wilma.

Well, a lot of the shallower reefs took quite a beating and are covered with a lot of sand, but it's still pretty good. Agree with the post above that Paradise Reef is probably a pretty good one for a new diver. It's also a nice night dive location. I will also agree that diving down to 90 feet isn't all that different than 60 feet in Cozumel. When I first got certified few years ago, Coz was my first blue water diving trip, and I found myself at 87 feet on my second dive there. Since it's all drift diving, and you're with a group of other divers, depth is really not that big of a deal. Tell your divemaster about your experience level, and they should adjust accordingly.

Also is there a very good chance of seeing wild dolphins in any of these locations while diving? I don't want to visit any that are in captivity.

Saw a dorsal fin of one from our dive boat as we were coming back from a dive site 3 weeks ago, but that's the only time I saw any out there. (at least I think it was a dolphin. ;-) )

Colombia shallows is my favorite shallow dive in Coz...I think it maxes out around 35 feet or so.... not sure of its conditions now, but when I went it was awesome.

jepuskar:
Colombia shallows is my favorite shallow dive in Coz...I think it maxes out around 35 feet or so.... not sure of its conditions now, but when I went it was awesome.

We were there a few days ago and it is in pretty good shape considering.

Chankanaab Caves is pretty cool. I made a whole dive out of it one day. There is a small cave entrance (if it's still there) near the south end of the park. It is generally totally obscured by a massive school of silversides. If you hang out in front of it for a minute or two, they will start to form a "hole" right through them. Then slowly a HUGE tarpon will make it's way through the hole. If you feel up to it, work your way through the silversides (which is COOL!) and you will see several large, 5' or so, tarpon in the cavern area. It is a nice swim through from this entrance to the other, about 50 feet or so. The other entrance is in a small cut in the shoreline and, Pre Wilma, had a ladder almost directly above it. In the back area of this cut, there is fresh water flowing out of the caves that originate at the cenotes further inland. The halocline is pretty interesting to mess around in for a while.

Palancar Garden can be done shallow as well. I also like Yucab, Tormentos, and Paso del Cedral. Paso del Cedral has a very nice swim through.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom