Running and Diving and DCS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divekim

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Okay, will be there in 2 weeks. Want to keep my running routine going while there, after all I intend to hit several of the restaurants on Christi's list.

Anyone have a know about running before diving everyday? I know there is a definite increased risk doing strenuous exercise after diving but what about before?

Kim

I've been running 20+ years and currently average 35/miles week. I ALWAYS leave my running gear home. Problems with running and diving are:
1- You're "shaking the soda bottle".
2- Dehydration.
3- Risk of major fatigue with accompanying concentration loss.
Don't do it. Just relax and enjoy giving your body the week off. I always come back fitter and fresher after diving. One week's hiatus won't make a difference in your fitness. If anything it'll allow you to recharge. Even Frank Shorter didn't run when he dove for a week in Coz (on advice of his instructor).

Here's my two cents worth.

I agree. Don't do any runs. Don't even do easy jogs. It's not worth the risk. Also, if your resort has a weight room, don't use it. And if you have a push-up and sit-up routine, don't do those either! Keep stretching though. And lay off the booze and don't drink a lot of caffeinated beverages.

Stay well hydrated. I bring gatorade powder and mix it with bottled water and bring it on the boat.

Also, buy dive insurance. It is inexpensive and will save you a bundle of money if you should take a hit.

Hope this helps.

Absolutely agree with the last two posters. At home I do weights, interval training (run/walk/jog) and Pilates. When I'm on a dive trip I do none of it. When I'm not diving I do not much of anything but relax and enjoy it. I usually plan to take the week (or most of it) off when I return as well. I'm usually tired for at least a few days with just getting back into the grind of work and daily routines, cleaning the gear, doing the laundry, etc.

Savor the relaxation and enjoy the diving. You will be 100% mentally and physically rejuvinated.

One more point - it always makes me a bit nervous to see divers come right off the boat, grab a cocktail and get right into the jacuzzi or hot tub post dive. Not a safe move at all.

I work out every day like a Banshi, and I took the whole 9 days of my trip off from the gym/cardio, etc. I got off the plane last night at 7:30, and was in the gym this morning at 5:30 a.m. Believe me, the time off will do you good (I had a few nagging injuries that healed up very nicely over the 9 days). If you HAVE TO RUN, then the rule of thumb is no closer than 2 hours before diving, or sooner than 4 hours after. I wouldn't pin the pedal to the floor either if it was the "after" scenario. Relax! I ate everywhere and anywhere I wanted to, and anything for dinner and like a pig (kept the rest of my diet more or less intact) and gained a measly lb.

CN

Thanks everyone. I will leave my running shoes at home and bring a less comfortable pair of walking shoes so there is no temptation.

I would much rather gain a lb and enjoy every minute of diving than risk missing a moment I'll never have again.

Kim

i think Dr. Deco has increased the times to 4 hours before dive, 6 hours after dive

let me look for the thread. ok, here it is, but it's for deco dives:

http://scubaboard.com/showpost.php?p=2016544&postcount=3

perhaps it's 2 hours before adn 4 hours after no-deco dives

you should ask in that forum

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom