The difference between morning dive and afternoon dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divingisfun

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a newbie on the board. What's the difference between morning dive and afternoon dive? Do you see different things?

Thanks.

morning 2 tank dives usually start about 7:30 - 8:00 am and usually you will be back at 12:00 depending on surface time between the dives and when the last diver is out. afternoon dive are usually 1 tank and start aroung 2:00 pm. of course there are variables that can be made with the dive OP. All it takes is money and common sense as to how many dives you want to make.
hope this helps.
monte

Consider mixing up your dive times if you and your dive op have a schedule that allows it. It is interesting to see marine life and the reefs at different times of day. Then also a twilight or night dive could be a possibility as well. Morning dives are often, calmer, at least in Coz. I have found afternoon to kick up a bit..but not always. Also, afternoon dives bring you out of he water at the early dinner hour. If you like to rest a bit after diving, perhaps plan on a late dinner. Sue Sue

If you're an u/w photographer who likes wide angle, the afternoon dives on the southern reefs are wonderful - the sun is shining on the reef instead of behind it.

Welcome to Scuba Board...divingisfun

Thanks everyone. Mixing morning dives and afternoon dives sound a good idea.

I prefer morning dives since I'm a morning person and not much of a photographer. If you are not interested in taking pictures, you'll see much the same thing. Night or twilight dives are another story, so definitely do some of those if you are comfortable with them. Also, you are usually back by lunchtime and you have the rest of the day to sight-see, rest, or whatever you want to do when not diving. Sometimes the boat on morning dives are less crowded too, depending on time of year. Either way, you're DIVING! so enjoy.

Depending on what time of year you are doing them, a 2-tank afternoon dive in the winter will nearly always take you into a dusk-like setting and you'll see different crittiers coming out or critters behaving differently. Still not a night dive so you can still see around you which helps for confidence if you are a new diver.

Don't forget the weather...Along the coasts, the winds kick up in in the early afternoon due to the air over land heating and rising. This brings in the cool air off the water. These winds usually cause a chop on the water's surface. So a morning trip is more likely to be more smooth and also less likely to be cancelled due to weather/sea state.

Welcome to the board. Safe diving...

We'll be in Cozumel in Dec. So I think it might be a good idea to do morning dives. Thanks everyone for your great help.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom