Cozumel: A first-timer's impression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raymanta

Registered
Reaction score
Got back from Coz on Nov. 18. Here's my story.....

Background:
I live in the Midwest and learned to dive in stone quarrys where 20 feet is "good viz", so you can imagine how much I love the caribbean. Previous trips have been to Bahamas, Bonaire, and Florida Keys.

General Impressions:
Cozumel is a great diving destination. November weather varied from 90 degrees F and very humid to cloudy, windy, overcast and high temp. of 73 when the Norht Winds came. Generally it was a lot more pleasant than Midwest U.S. weather in Novemner. People are friendly. I never felt unconfortable walking around, even at night in neighborhoods away from the tourist district. Choice of hotel is varied, as is the choice of dive ops.

Hotel:
I stayed at the Casa del Mar. It was a nice clean place with internet access in the main lobby for guests. The restuarant/bar was nice and the food was better than average. I did not opt for the all inclusive package because I wanted to sample the restaurants in town. A taxi ride into town was $4 U.S. from the hotel, but I usually walked. I like to walk for exercise and could make it downtown in 35 -40 minutes. It is an enjoyable walk along the oceanfront.

Diving:
I went with the on-site dive-op Del Mar Aquatics. Had a refresher course the first day since it had been a few years since I did this. The instructor was very good and the dive masters on the boat the next four days were very professional and safety minded. One diver has a minor emergency (equipment failure) and they handled it in a very impressive manner.

I had never experienced drift diving before and admittedly was a little aprehensive. I can now assure anyone who has never done it before that it is easy and very enjoyable. The two tank boat dives consisted with a first dive to 80 - 90 feet with really cool swim-throughs followed by a shallow dive to more than 50 feet that usually lasted 60 min. or more.

Sealife that I enjoyed most included nurse sharks, octopus, turtles, lobsters (many), and crabs.

Nightlife, social:
I traveled alone and met some beautiful people and enjoyed evenings filled with fun and stories related to diving and other great adventures.

Conclusion:
Cozumel is great and I WILL RETURN!

Awesome trip report..My wife and I are headed there on Dec 1. I have 2 days of diving set up with Christi at Blue XTSea. I am really getting excited now..Whoo Hooo:D

Looks like I will just miss you gmedic. I am diving with Christi tomorrow through Thursday. It is nice because it will only be a couple of us with Pedro or Arturo but I feel bad for Christie because she doesn't have more divers. It was kind of choppy today but not unbearable. Tomorrow is supposed to be better. Hey, Jake. If you are reading this wish you were here to dive.

Saw 7 spendid toadfish today at Las Palmas....amazing. Also,found a baby sea horse, about an inch long. It took a little bit to realize what it was. Anyway, great diving, great friends, and I know you will have a great time when you get down here. Well, off to bed....tomorrow is another day.

Gee Ray it seems I just missed you down there. I got back on Nov. 12th. I agree with your assessment of Casa Del Mar that it was nice nothing fancy...but hey we were there to dive. But not a bad place to stay. And Del Mar Aquatics is an ok operation in my book too.

The walk into town I remember being a little longer, but then hey I was in no hurry either. :D

Glad to hear you had a great trip I know I did and yes I will be going back again too.

Oh I was there with a group from my LDS, but still I did a lot on my own. Coz is great.

Nevis Diver:
Also,found a baby sea horse, about an inch long
This guy?

304413011_772fdc16c3_m.jpg

Hehe, I asked Pedro to keep an eye on him 'til i get down there next... I want a better pic!

Welcome to the family!

Thanks for reminding me how much I missed not diving there this year

Back
Top Bottom