swim with the whale sharks at hobox direct from Cozumel!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

maryruth1035

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
:DWe just got back fom Cozumel (in Mexico, an island off the coast of Cancun and the Yucatan peninsula) where we took a fantastic day trip (via DUENDE TOURS) up to Holbox to snorkel with the whale sharks! The sharks had just begun to arrive to the area (a yearly migration to the plankton rich waters where the Gulf of Mexico (cold) water mixes with the (warm) Carribean waters. These gentle giants are actually both the largest fish and the largest sharks in the world. Whale sharks are not sexually mature until about age 30 and usually a length of 25-30 feet long (or about 10 meters). Momma whale sharks will give live birth to hundreds of 2 foot long whale sharks at a time! The sharks do have thousands of tiny teeth, but do not use them to feed. They are actually filter feeders that use their gills as a filter after their enormous mouths scoop up gallons of plankton filled sea water! They stay all summer long in the area, and although the international treaties do not alow sc!
uba diving with the whale sharks, they do allow snorkeling.

Most people visiting the Mayan Riviera/ Cancun area actually drive up (a 3+ hour drive, Ugh!) and then take a chartered boat out, or else they boat up. In our case, we did NOT want to get up before 4 am to ferry over to the mainland and join a tour--Instead we found an outfit (DUENDE TOURS,) that _flies directly from Cozumel_, (for only about $50 US per person more than the cost of going with the mainland tours.)

It was a once in a lifetime sort of thing for us--Duende Tours flew us up to Holbox in a 4 seater Cesna (at low altitude) straight from Cozumel in about 45 minutes. Ismael, our guide (and part owner of Duende Tours), was a great host and we HIGHLY recommend using Duende to go snorkeling with the Whale Sharks if you are planning a trip to Cozumel this summer!:D

What was the total cost for the day per person, and what operator did you go with from Holbox? How big was the boat, how many people, and how much water time did you each get?

A little easier to get to, you can also do whaleshark tours out of Isla Mujeres. If you prefer land/ferry, it's quite a bit closer then Holbox. From what I've heard the last few years from people I know who've gone to Isla and Holbox each year, the trips out of Isla have been excellent. (Of course from year to year things can change... some years the pods come closer to Holbox and some years Isla. Some years it's about the same from either)

Only $50 more per person to fly: Very nice! :thumb:

Going for a day trip is better than nothing as it is a wonderful experience. I wouldn't trade for the 3 nights on Holbox and 2 days of swimming we did a couple of years ago, but get at least one day if you never have.

More info like SW requested would be nice.

Do you have contact info or a web site for the company? I'm heading down there next week and it might be something fun to do.
Easy: Adventure Travel | Duende Tours Anything else...?
This tour has a meeting point at Cozumel Airport at 7:00 am. Getting to the airport is easy by taxi from anywhere on the island.

The tour takes off with a scenic flight over the coasts of Yucatan Peninsula in a small aircraft. You will fly low enough to enjoy spectacular views!

After having landed on Holbox’s small airstrip you will be transferred to a fast boat for an unforgettable whale shark tour. The 4 hour whale shark tour includes experienced multilingual guides, plenty of time to have a close encounter with these amazing creatures, snorkel equipment, drinking water and lunch.

After the boat tour, you will return to Holbox Island where you have about 1 hour of free time to explore the island before your flight back to Cozumel Airportalt. You will be back at Cozumel Airport at around 3 pm.

Departure point is Cozumel Airport. Getting to the airport is easy from anywhere in the Riviera Maya. Let us explain you how to get there from where you are staying.
Starting at 7:00 am, return 3 pm.

Includes: Round trip flight Cozumel – Holbox – Cozumel in small aircraft, 4 hr whale shark tour, snorkel equipment, multilingual guide, drinking water and lunch.

Price: US$289.00 per person
Not included: US$ 25.00 airport tax to be paid at the airport.

*Information for divers:
The flight from Cozumel to Holbox and back has a height of 1500 - 2500 feet which is a low flight. To be extra sure there is no problem for divers, the local hyperbaric chamber recommends 12 hours between your last recreational, no-decompression dive and the flight to Holbox. Normal dives on Cozumel are no-decompression dives, so you can have a normal day of diving before taking the Whale Shark Tour! You should be out of the water at 7 pm the day before the flight; night dives are not recommended on the night before this tour.
As you probably know, there is no problem with diving after flying.
Still wonder how many opportunities each person got? We stayed out until everyone was tired of repeat encounters. My bud and I tipped well the first day so we got the Manta encounter the second day. :cool:

So it's $315 in total. I've seen land based packages for as little as $185 through Dive Paradise. So it's definitely more money to fly. Still an enticing option for us next month. It appears to save a lot of time and pain.

So it's $315 in total. I've seen land based packages for as little as $185 through Dive Paradise. So it's definitely more money to fly. Still an enticing option for us next month. It appears to save a lot of time and pain.
Well, it's $50 more than their Playa del Carmen pickup I think, and worth that to not have to drive that far (done it myself) and ride the ferry (skipped it for private boat), but add $25 for outrageous CZM taxes is seems to yield $314 yeah. The sightseeing flight would be nice, but - if your $185 through Dive Paradise includes ferries, ground transportation, boat, dives, lunch, well. Do you know if it did?

yes, have done this before with them. The only item it does not include is ferry, the 5am one btw. So that tacks on another $20 or so roundtrip. It does include all the other items on your list including lunch/snacks. We're going with some whale shark virgins in a few weeks and I personally would like to skip that drive if at all possible. This is a serious option for us.

yes, have done this before with them. The only item it does not include is ferry, the 5am one btw. So that tacks on another $20 or so roundtrip. It does include all the other items on your list including lunch/snacks. We're going with some whale shark virgins in a few weeks and I personally would like to skip that drive if at all possible. This is a serious option for us.
It includes the Holbox ferry, or the snorkel boat picks you up at the mainland port? The PDC ferry may be more like $25 US roundtrip, so $314 flying out of CZM with sightseeing flight @ 7am vs $210 if their price is not up for 5am ferry and lonnng drive including many many topas. Did you go by way of Cancun or Coba? Wonder if the other price is up. Tempting huh?

Holbox is a lovely island to visit for 3 nights like we did, but for a day trip - get there and back! I haven't heard if the herd is hanging out closer to Holbox or Isla Mujeres this year. Some tour takes boats out of Cancun too.

Here are the exact details Don. You're right about the PDC ferry....$14 each way it appears. Two boats rides on same boat....one between Chiquila and Holbox where they briefed and fed us, the other out to the sharks which took over an hour to find. When I did this in '07, we went via the Coba route. And it was a LOOOOONG day. At least in our case, we didn't get back until very late. If I remember correctly, we were on the 9pm ferry going back to Coz.

Back
Top Bottom