Fiesta Americana Hotel Reviews???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mcfarland

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
My Wife and i are looking at staying at the Fiesta Americana Hotel just South of San Miguel in Cozumel. Has any one stayed there? Give me the good, the bad, and the ugly! I appreciate any advice!

Jared McFarland

We've stayed there 5 maybe 6 times? And we'll be staying there at the end of March. Stayed there before it became AI, and a few times after. Nice hotel, clean rooms, pools are nice. It makes for an easy pickup for our dive op. We roll out of bed, have breakfast that stroll down to the pier. Food seemed better when they first went to AI, but it's okay. Wait staff has always been great, and they appreciate that we tip a few bucks at meals (although I think they say tips are included in the AI price, it doesn't hurt to tip directly!) To me it really depends on what you pick from the buffet. Love the soups, salads and more of the mexican style food. Have never gone for the 'american' stuff. I can eat hamburgers, pizza or pasta at home! The only thing I would say on the negative side, was they tried to stick us back in the casitas one trip when we had booked a hotel room. Took a day to get moved, but they did it. Yes, they're bigger rooms, but they're back behind the hotel, so no water view and a long haul to get to the restaurants, pools & pier.

Anyway, hope that helps a bit!

Stayed there last year, and am planning on staying with them again next January.

Food was ok, service and staff was friendly, pools were nice, rooms were clean.

Dove with the associated op (Dive House) simply for convenience, although other ops picked up there as well, and found them to do a good job. Really enjoyed the shore diving out front, and my wife (a non-diver) enjoyed the beach and snorkling right out front as well.

If you want internet access in your room you have to stay in the hotel. The cabins in the back were very nice, but as was already mentioned it was a long haul to the food, pools, and beach ... if you wanted to use the free wi-fi you had to come into the lobby.

Stayed there last year as well. In my opinion, it is great for couples who want to be away from the cruise ship crowd and who have already explored the restaurant scene in town. Taxi fares from FA run about $10. Their grounds are well kept. Nice beach, pier and two pools. Food can be so so, but I am a foodie. The beer was cold and the margaritas strong. I didn't use dive-house , but their op seemed nice. I use living underwater and we left the dock before dive house and when we returned their boat was already unloaded.

I stayed there 5 or 6 times since 2000, before and after Wilma, before and after AI. It's reasonably nice, the food is generally OK, but breakfast is a little better, and the staff has always been helpful and pleasant. The big plus for me was value. I used to get screaming good deals. It was so cheap, we didn't feel like we were wasting a lot of money going into town for dinners several nights a week. The convenience of breakfast is a real advantage. I generally preferred the casitas because they were quieter than the hotel tower. The other posters' comments are right on target.

My wife and I are at Fiesta American now and have enjoyed this week, and would come back. I agree with all the other posts. My only complaint
is they could add more umbrellas and loungers for shade, especially in the area sand by the ocean.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to dive due to a sinus infection:depressed:, but my wife has been diving with the Dive House (at FA) and has been happy
with all the diving and dive operation.

Stayed there last March. Decent hotel, room clean and service was good. Food is just ok but with so many great choices in town, I doubt I'll ever do a AI in Cozumel again. Snorkelling in front of the hotel is not great and a pretty strong permanent eddy so not great for swimming unless you want to drift down to the Money bar and walk back to the hotel. You have to walk across the street to get to the water and lunch area. Pool and swim up bar are nice.

Consider someplace closer to town not AI. Maybe Casa Mexicana or Coral Princess.

Thank you everyone for the reviews! It sounds like we made a good choice. We don't mind ten bucks to get to town. Rather that than cruise ship crowds. Looking forward to some great diving! I may try a few different guide services. I'll let you know the results.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom