Sunday To Do

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

webbah

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi All - my wife and I will be on Cozumel 10/16-26th and I'm finalizing our diving plans with Aldora. I understand that cruise ships rarely, if ever, are in port on Sundays. We are planning on diving about 5 days or so and would like to do other activities like take the ferry to Playa or visit the eco park. My question is should we use the Sunday we're there without ships in port to do one of these activities or is that a great day to dive because no ships are in port?

I don't think you will find a noticeable difference in the diving since most of the divers on the Cozumel reefs are not cruise ship patrons. But the relative absence of cruisers makes it a more enjoyable (less noisy crowded) day at the beach. Most of the downtown shops (think Diamonds International) either open late or not at all on Sundays so cross shopping off your list. If you head over to Playa del Carmen, it will be as busy as always. I would go diving if it were me...and then maybe grab some beach time and, time permitting, dinner at a nice restaurant.

Last edited:
Sunday is a good day for the island. However, the beaches on the east side tend to get very crowded with locals, most of whom have the day off with the family. Sunday night is a great time to be in the town square as they have a band play with lots of locals out and you may find a shared cultural experience, lots of fun after a nice dinner in town.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

If I'm not diving, I make an effort to go out Sunday morning for a breakfast of Tortas Cochinita Pibil. Find a local spot that makes it in the traditional way - I know there is a spot out on the transversal where it is still cooked in a pit, though I don't know the name of it. Sunday afternoon is still a shopping day for me, as a lot of the little local stores and Artisans shops, as well as some bigger stores like Los Cinco Soles are open, though they close early. Avoiding the throngs of Cruisers makes downtown much more enjoyable. And I do like people watching Sunday nights on the Plaza.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom