Whiskey Wreck Dive Report 7-26-08

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MRXRAY

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Well, I don't want to steal anyones thunder, but I can't sleep so I thought I'd try to make a quick post of the dives from today. First let me say that it was a great pleasure to meet both Tom and Paul, and I had a great time!

The three of us met at 12:30 at the hotel parking lot across from Bahama Bob's, Paul told the manager he was teaching a Scuba Class, so he OK'd us parking there. We got ready in the Sunny and Hummid coniditions and made our way to the water. Maybe 200-300 yard walk. We hit the water at just after 1:00PM, We made a combination of surface swims and dives trying to locate the darn wreck, seems it was a bit shallower than what we thought, and closer for that matter. Tom and I had actually given up on the wreck due to the Large number of large jellies, We had played around for over an hour trying to find the elusive wreck and finally thumbed the dive and headed for the shore only to have Paul find the Wreck on his way in. I have to say that Paul (paulwall) is some kind of super human, he must have lived near 3 Mile Island or something growing up, because this man not only chose to not wear a wetsuit, but he never really complained to me of the massive number of hits he must have been taking! I had every piece of me covered except my lips and face around the opening of my hood, and let me tell you I was lit up more than a few times, and I was hurting! Those lip shots SUCK! We found massive (10's of thousands) sand dollars most about quarter to half dollar sized in about 15 feet of water, you could pick up 20 with one hand full, I packed my BC pocket for all the kids on the beach.
Anyway, we were fianlly on the wreck and spent a good 20 minutes goofing around on it. I have to tell you it was a decent dive (Once we found it) and the vis was fair at I'd say 20 feet. A big school of spades came in and were rubbing all over Tom and I, it was bizarre! I've never seen so many spades act so funny. I'm posting the short video I took (Before darn batteries died) below so you can check it. We hit the beach at about 2:30 and was on the road for our Night Dive in Navarre......But that's a different post!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxoBvxVgnxA

We had the same problem with the jellies last weekend. Same with the spadefish; felt as if they were taking nibbles out of me.

There was a milk jug tied into a small section of the wreck last weekend. We traveled down the line, hit the small section, swam straight west, hit another small section, swam west again and hit the large part of the wreck. No more than 25 yards from the eastern part to the middle part to the main part.

Was the milk jug gone?

haha nice video!

We had the same problem with the jellies last weekend. Same with the spadefish; felt as if they were taking nibbles out of me.

There was a milk jug tied into a small section of the wreck last weekend. We traveled down the line, hit the small section, swam straight west, hit another small section, swam west again and hit the large part of the wreck. No more than 25 yards from the eastern part to the middle part to the main part.

Was the milk jug gone?

No milk jug!

How far offshore is that site? I have read 100 to 150 yds. Tim

I think it was closer to 75 yards, we initally went way to far and looked in 15-18 feet f water about 100-150 yards offshore, but it was much closer and in about 8-10 feet, on the surf side of the wreck it was about 6 feet.

So you walked 300 yards in the heat with your gear on your back to swim out 75 yards to dive in 6 to 8 ft of water and got eaten alive by jelly fish.
Hetland has a nail bed. It is not even rusty nails. It might be less painful. :D

Yikes, thanks for the report.

If its 8' deep on the inside(southside) of the wreck, its washed in even more than the last time I was out there. It was about 13' deep(max) last time I was there. The spades are always friendly on that wreck, can get spooky at night when you have fish hanging off your stringer.

20' vis on the Whiskey is great!

So you walked 300 yards in the heat with your gear on your back to swim out 75 yards to dive in 6 to 8 ft of water and got eaten alive by jelly fish.
Hetland has a nail bed. It is not even rusty nails. It might be less painful. :D

LOL :D I must be into SnM as having gotten quite few hits at Whiskey wreck we then booked it to Navarre Beach to get some more! Wow!

Nothin wrong with diving in shallower depths, makes for LONG bottom times :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom