Vortex Incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaGuy77

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone have any information on the diver who surfaced unconscious at Vortex Saturday? All I know is that he was breathing on his own (very weak), and left by chopper. Any update on accident cause and condition of diver would be appreciated.

I was there too and am also very interested in what happened. I know he was in an OW class and was ascending during a buddy breathing exercise, but that is the only other info I got. It was a pretty scary situation, I sure hope he is doing ok.

I just talked witht he hospital that the diver was flown to and they let me talk to his nurse. The nurse said he is still in ICU and is recovering after having an emergency surgery to remove part of his lung. They did not give the the cause but only how he was doing and what they did. They do expect him to recover, but would tell me to what extent. He is talking and did authorize the nurse to give me this information. Lets keep him in our prayers and also say a prayer for his wife and 4 children that were here and witnessed this.

Thank you for the update, that is relatively good news. It was a bad scene witht that much family present. I will say that all present divers and Vortex personel responded quickly and professionally.

BR:
I was there too and am also very interested in what happened. I know he was in an OW class and was ascending during a buddy breathing exercise, but that is the only other info I got. It was a pretty scary situation, I sure hope he is doing ok.

so, I wonder if this is true (or if it was an alternate air source exercise, or something completely unrelated), as PADI has removed buddy breathing from all text, skill evaluations and everything related to it... Then, that begs the question, was it a PADI class or other organization... I know this is somewhat assumption / speculation, but IF it was a true buddy breathing incident and IF it was a PADI instructor doing it, he could be in a little trouble...

so, I wonder if this is true (or if it was an alternate air source exercise, or something completely unrelated), as PADI has removed buddy breathing from all text, skill evaluations and everything related to it... Then, that begs the question, was it a PADI class or other organization... I know this is somewhat assumption / speculation, but IF it was a true buddy breathing incident and IF it was a PADI instructor doing it, he could be in a little trouble...

Yeah, I think someone got there terms mixed up. But you never know with some of the instructors out there.

... I think its friggin sad that an instructor could be held accountable for going above and beyond PADI(pitifull) training standards. Buddy breathing is a viable option, why not have more options for survival?

... I think its friggin sad that an instructor could be held accountable for going above and beyond PADI(pitifull) training standards. Buddy breathing is a viable option, why not have more options for survival?

have a talk with the RSTC, not PADI... as far as I understand, it has been eliminated from all of the RSTC programs...

When I was certified I was taught to buddy breathe. If a student panics during any step in the training there can be serious consequences.

Back
Top Bottom