Skin?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lamnid

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
so i have a problem. When ever i dive, afterwards (4 or 5 days) it's as if the skin on the palms of my hands has become waterlogged and the top layer comes away from the palm. It's not a big problem, bt really really annoying having my hands peel this way - like when your skin peels due to sunburn but the opposite i guess cos it's damp. Its worst after a shower and swimming. Any ideas how to combat this? Thanks. Caz.

You may want to talk to a dermatologist to make sure there is not some kind of condition that would require a special medication. Otherwise I have normally dry skin and also lots of calluses especially on my feet. After wearing my wetsuit boots all day I get the same thing on them. Since it's mostly the dead skin that coming off I don't worry too much about it. I have though for the last dive outing taken a pair of sandals and take off the boots between dives to let the feet dry. This helped alot! As for my hands it depends on whether or not I wear gloves. Even wet gloves reduce the amt of wrinkling considerably and it seems less wrinkling means less peeling of skin. Without gloves I've taken to using vaseline intensive care lotion on my hands not just when diving but on a regular basis and this has also helped. I work with powder paint which is mostly talc based and it really dries out the skin. To the point where it feels like it wants to crack when I get home. I believe replacing the natural oils in my skin with the lotion while softening it has also made it more resisitant to the water.

Hi Caz,

A condition such as you describe can result from a narrowing of blood vessels and reduction in blood flow in the hands and fingers during scuba.

Couple of questions:

1. Are you primarily a cold water diver? If so, what do you wear for thermal protection of the hands?

2. Do you typically use any products containing caffeine or nicotine; decongestants or combination cold remedies containing pseudoephedrine, phenylpropanolamine or similar compounds; or medications to control blood pressure?

3. Do you take any kind of medication whilst diving?

4. Are you in good health and physically fit?

Regards,

DocVikingo

Lamnid:
so i have a problem. When ever i dive, afterwards (4 or 5 days) it's as if the skin on the palms of my hands has become waterlogged and the top layer comes away from the palm. It's not a big problem, bt really really annoying having my hands peel this way - like when your skin peels due to sunburn but the opposite i guess cos it's damp. Its worst after a shower and swimming. Any ideas how to combat this? Thanks. Caz.

I'd second the idea of checking with a doctor, however given your location, you can switch to a drysuit and drygloves (real drygloves like the SITech system or similar), then you'll be warm, dry and I'd suspect not have your hands peel off. :cool:

In fact, given your location, I can't even begin to imagine diving wet.

Terry

heh heh well so far i only dived in egypt and spain so it's not too bad. i tend to get really cold though, especially in my hands which have scant fat around them to keep them warm! Perhaps it is the vasoconstriction that's doing it. well I'll try hand creams too cos last time I did and it seemed to help, and perhaps i shoud invest in some dive gloves. thanks for the advice! Caz.

JimLap:
when diving but on a regular basis and this has also helped. I work with powder paint which is mostly talc based and it really dries out the skin.

I feel like a Mr. Safety Equipment. :cool:

If it's really talc-based, you should be taking at a minimum, talc precautions, and possibly asbestos precautions, depending on where the talc was mined.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/toxprofiles/phs61.html
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npg/npgd0584.html

Terry

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom