Aspirin and Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RV

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm been thinking of blood gases, circulation, and off gassing and was wondering what the medical folks on the board have to say about aspirin and diving.

Also,, I see the commercials about low dose (81 mg) aspirin why it might be better than hi dose (325 mg)???

Thanks...

And yes, I did a search, and I don't think the info I'm looking for is in ...
Post Your Pretty Funny Stuff Here,
Word Association 2,
MOF/NMOF XLI, We’re still here,
Last Person to Post Gets $20 -- Take 3, or
Where's Moonie ?

anyone?

I was taught - well given the suggestion off the record sorta speak, that if your able to take ASA safely, that it could reduce chances of DCS. Not to mention reducing a lil back pain from the doubles. Lol.

Ken

on the low dose vs. high dose ... is that it, whether aspirin is tolerated by the user.. so a low dose is better tolerated by some?

I'm reluctant to say one way or the other since I don't have a way to back up my statements. However the lower dose would IMO be better since your taking this to act as an anticoagulant; which is the reason ASA is used with folks having chest pain complaints etc. etc.

I should add, this was not taught as part of course material for my AN/DP courses, more or less this is good advice sorta thing. Unless you are diving a heavy dive plan, I would not see this being beneficial. I would suggest though doing your homework, and wait for the advice of a physician familiar with the prevention of DCS before just deciding on taking ASA before dives. Obviously your underlining medical condition, past medical history, and current prescribed medication will dictate both your dive plan, and how you go about with the usage of ASA. I should add, that proper hydration is more of an importance to me than taking an ASA to thin the blood a lil to help off gassing. More than likely you will find an equal opposing group to say ASA is unsafe, or is not needed. Their claims could have merit too.

Jump over to TDS and see if the fellers from the Rubicon Foundation can shed some insight on their ideas behind taking ASA to reduce the chance of DCS. In the meantime, I'll try to be doing some research for ya for guidance.

Kenny

Basically, noone will tell you that aspirin has been rumored to help prevent DCS by thinning the blood thus helping gas exchange, and noone will admit to eating four or more before deco dives. because of liablity reasons...

However we will all tell you that the reason to be properly hydrated is to make sure your blood is thin, and that if you are dehydrated your blood is thicker and imhibits proper off gasing.

SO in short Drink all the water you can before a dive. if you want to pop some aspirin for your back then go for it. but the biggest thing is the water.

ETA: Ya what Kenny said....

all very logical....

I'm NOT that kind of doctor. All I can say is that I've been on an aspirin regimen for 24 years and I have yet to get bent (but then I didn't before I started to take the aspirin). I can't give a medical opinion since the only creatures I'm "certified" to operate on are fishies and inverts.

Basically, noone will tell you that aspirin has been rumored to help prevent DCS by thinning the blood thus helping gas exchange, and noone will admit to eating four or more before deco dives. because of liablity reasons...

However we will all tell you that the reason to be properly hydrated is to make sure your blood is thin, and that if you are dehydrated your blood is thicker and imhibits proper off gasing.

SO in short Drink all the water you can before a dive. if you want to pop some aspirin for your back then go for it. but the biggest thing is the water.

ETA: Ya what Kenny said....

Aspirin doesn't actually thin the blood does it? I always thought it just prevented the aggregation of platelets.

Aspirin doesn't actually thin the blood does it? I always thought it just prevented the aggregation of platelets.

No it is a mild blood thinner... One trick that I will admit to is taking aspirin when I go south, so that I don't feel as hot.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom