How long it takes for ear fullness to go away

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi there,
I have never posted before but have been browsing for some months and gotten lots of info.
I got my open water certification last week in Utila, Honduras. I am an anxious and panicky person, which I'm sure contributed to my problems equalizing during the course. I had trouble particularly with the first 10m of the descent on the last 2 certification dives: a good amount of ear pain, trouble clearing and likely overequalizing. The 2 dives post-certification were far more enjoyable, but my left ear was still blocked at that point. Stupid of me to do them, I know.
My last dive was on March 5. I have not experienced any pain, and flew home yesterday w/no problems. But my left ear is still plugged and echoey. It feels disturbingly like I'm hard of hearing.
I realize no one can make diagnoses on this board, but am just wondering what others have experienced and how long it took for your ears to clear. I will make an appt. with an ENT (I regret not getting DAN insurance.)
Can anyone offer their experiences?
Thank you!

I've had that happen too in the beginning before getting certified----had some problem clearing, ear pain and afterward my ears felt very stuffed and hard to hear. For me, it took about 3 weeks to go away fully. After a week it got noticeably better but didn't get back to 100% until almost a month.

Just as an fyi, practice equalizing over and over until you get really comfortable with it----pop your ears throughout the day until it becomes second nature but obviously wait until you're healed.

Hi there,
I have never posted before but have been browsing for some months and gotten lots of info.
I got my open water certification last week in Utila, Honduras. I am an anxious and panicky person, which I'm sure contributed to my problems equalizing during the course. I had trouble particularly with the first 10m of the descent on the last 2 certification dives: a good amount of ear pain, trouble clearing and likely overequalizing. The 2 dives post-certification were far more enjoyable, but my left ear was still blocked at that point. Stupid of me to do them, I know.
My last dive was on March 5. I have not experienced any pain, and flew home yesterday w/no problems. But my left ear is still plugged and echoey. It feels disturbingly like I'm hard of hearing.
I realize no one can make diagnoses on this board, but am just wondering what others have experienced and how long it took for your ears to clear. I will make an appt. with an ENT (I regret not getting DAN insurance.)
Can anyone offer their experiences?
Thank you!

Yup, as formula1mb said, it can take a few weeks for middle ear barotrauma (fluid from poor equalization) to go away, and I agree that practicing equalization is a good idea. You probably will see this link sooner or later.

Gentle valsalva or Toynbee maneuvers may help as well for lingering fluid behind the eardrum.

There are rare conditions that can cause hearing problems that are not related to simple barotrauma, so an ENT examination if it hasn't gone away is not a bad idea. In extreme cases, the fluid can be drained in the office.

There are a lot of anecdotal stories about the effectiveness of nasal sprays, antihistamines, decongestants, etc... Remember that since the fluid tends to get better by itself with time, the drugs may get the credit for the cure, but there isn't much science behind this theory, actually.

DAN insurance is a good idea, I agree!

Mike

The other thing noone has mentioned is you may have an ear infection if you continue to feel a fullness or pressure in your ear. Only way to tell is to have someone look for a fluid line on the eardrum.

formula1mb, doctormike & FWADIVER, I really appreciate it. It's crazy to think it may take weeks to recover, but it's reassuring to know others have been in the same position.
It's a given that diving is dangerous, but I had no idea how challenging it is mentally. If I were calm, I doubt my ears would have been an issue, or at least to this degree. Then again, two of the other people in my class also had problems. Unfortunately, one of them is doing much worse than I am (he has been woken up by pain and the fullness has increased).
Thank you again for noting the different points and your support.

The Nasaline irrigator works really well for me to clear up the occasional case of "sloshing ear" after diving. I don't really understand why shooting salt water up my nose seems to get it out of my ear but I'm not arguing with success.

I was unable to find it in local stores but it's readily available online. A search for "Nasaline" here on SB will turn up a lot more information.

One thing I have not noticed reading along is the softening of ear wax build up.

Not uncommon for the wax to soften and shift creating a full sensation. Good dosing with "ear beer" after a dive is the best prevention for me at least.

One thing I have not noticed reading along is the softening of ear wax build up. Not uncommon for the wax to soften and shift creating a full sensation. Good dosing with "ear beer" after a dive is the best prevention for me at least.

Hi Hallmac,

Proper dosing with "ear beer" after a dive is a prudent preventative measure against infection of the external auditory canal (otitis externa), but it really isn't the best way to prevent or treat the buildup of excess earwax (cerumen) in the canal.

The first step in attempting to reduce excess wax usually is wax softener ear drops. These may be used alone or in combination with a procedure to take out the ear wax, such as irrigation/ear syringing (For example, see the Amazon.com: Debrox Drops Earwax Removal Aid Kit - 0.5 Oz: Health & Personal Care. Drops of this type typically contain neither alcohol nor vinegar, usually the active ingredients in "ear beer" preparations.

Regards,

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual and should not be construed as such.

Littlecloudysky - what they said already is spot on. Many new divers have similar trouble (me included). It took a while before I learned other ways to equalize that were much easier for me. Find a way that works for you and practice it a few times a day until it is second nature. It will greatly increase your underwater experience.

FYI, when I yawn with my mouth closed or when I push the back of my jaw downwards or when I swallow, I hear a small tapping sound. That's the end of my Eustachian tube opening and allowing air at ambient pressure into my middle ear. That's all you need to do.

Thanks again. I wasn't aware of all the products you guys mentioned. Interesting point about the ear wax softening also. Good news is that my ear has already greatly improved! It's not perfect yet, but I'm not worried now. I will be sure to practice my equalizing before my next dive outing. I'm confident all will be OK!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom